Canucks Young Guns

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Richardstroker69
MVP
MVP

Re: Canucks Young Guns

Post by Richardstroker69 »

Topper wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:24 am Corporate sponsorship backing is the key. Who is buying those box seats and advertising spots?
This is why I think we’d do good, there are a lot of big money companies (especially in the oil sector as well as potash) that would drop big bucks on sports. I’m in the southeast so it’s oil country here and if they set up the team in Regina, guaranteed they would have sold out season tickets, hell I live an hour and a half outside of the city and I’d have 2 season tickets immediately. Saskatoon I don’t know, that’s cheapskate territory.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Richardstroker69 wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 11:06 am
Topper wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:24 am Corporate sponsorship backing is the key. Who is buying those box seats and advertising spots?
This is why I think we’d do good, there are a lot of big money companies (especially in the oil sector as well as potash) that would drop big bucks on sports. I’m in the southeast so it’s oil country here and if they set up the team in Regina, guaranteed they would have sold out season tickets, hell I live an hour and a half outside of the city and I’d have 2 season tickets immediately. Saskatoon I don’t know, that’s cheapskate territory.
The Canucks took a big hit with the market collapse in 2008 as a lot of companies evaluated where they were spending money. Sponsorship's and box seats that are usually used as promo to employees and clients were some of the 1st things on the chopping block.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Richardstroker69
MVP
MVP

Topper wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 11:14 am
The Canucks took a big hit with the market collapse in 2008 as a lot of companies evaluated where they were spending money. Sponsorship's and box seats that are usually used as promo to employees and clients were some of the 1st things on the chopping block.
There are a lot of private oil companies operating in southeast Sask that have mountains of money that dips in the oil industry don’t really bother them, they’d keep box seats going, biggest hurdle would be finding an owner. It might need an ownership group as opposed to a single owner, unless Gavin semple wants to pony up the cash.
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

Richardstroker69 wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 11:37 am
There are a lot of private oil companies operating in southeast Sask that have mountains of money that dips in the oil industry don’t really bother them, they’d keep box seats going, biggest hurdle would be finding an owner. It might need an ownership group as opposed to a single owner, unless Gavin semple wants to pony up the cash.
I agree that there are lots of companies that operate in SE sask, but how many have their head offices in Sask? No head office = No corporate sponsorship.

That number is a LOT smaller than people think. There is still open Boxes at Rush and Rider games, at the price points for 8 home games where you actually use the box. what's the price point for a 41 home game season??

Then that brings us to the Arena.. going rate for a good arena is about 600 million (thatst he quote Calgary got).
Where the hell are we getting that from?? Province just got bent over building a new arena fro the Riders. Cant see them bending over again...
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
Richardstroker69
MVP
MVP

Madcombinepilot wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 11:50 am
Richardstroker69 wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 11:37 am
I agree that there are lots of companies that operate in SE sask, but how many have their head offices in Sask? No head office = No corporate sponsorship.

That number is a LOT smaller than people think. There is still open Boxes at Rush and Rider games, at the price points for 8 home games where you actually use the box. what's the price point for a 41 home game season??

Then that brings us to the Arena.. going rate for a good arena is about 600 million (thatst he quote Calgary got).
Where the hell are we getting that from?? Province just got bent over building a new arena fro the Riders. Cant see them bending over again...
Majority of the private companies head office operates out of Sask. I think the province would have no issue supporting a team, I don’t think we have somebody that could own the team necessarily, and it would be extremely difficult to build an arena here. The southern line of estevan, Weyburn, Regina, Moose Jaw, swift current would be able support a team especially if it was a smaller arena like the what the jets play out of. Travelling in winter is the norm around my area, most guys are driving an hour commute on the highway, (I got staff that drive that twice a day) so I don’t think travel is that big of a deal. The biggest hurdles though like you said are the arena, and I think finding ownership would be hard.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Madcombinepilot wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 11:50 am
Maybe one day a relocation.
Vegas; 500 million to the league.
Seattle 750 million to the league
Next ????
"evolution"
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Richardstroker69 wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 2:53 pm
Mëds wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 5:55 pm
Per wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 5:02 pm
micky107 wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:54 am Recent article on where an NHL franchise could happen. I don't agree with the final analysis but the read is decent;

https://www.sportsinsider.com/next-city ... ting-odds/

My own opinion is Quebec City will support a team; A winning team, only. C-
Atlanta? What is this, three strikes? :crazy: D
Saskatchewan or The Maritimes? Cute idea but; D
Portland is my idea of an almost for sure success. B+. In about 6 to 7 years.
Southern Ontario? Only if it's a relocation from Ottawa.
San Diego? Watch out for low flying aircraft. And, Hey Pedro? Pass the puck!
Just saying, where else would they draw fans from. LA? Ever tried that? Yikes. D
Houston? Would take a few years but ya, quite likely work. C+

Regardless; Never more than 32 teams, at least looking 15-20 years ahead.

The Admission Fees, the league loves. Whats the one after Seattle, a billion?
Relocation may be ugly but is that not a better choice under present some circumstances ?
I’d love to see them add the New Foundland Dogs as a franchise! :lol:
Between Saskatchewan and the Maritimes, I'd say that Halifax could support a team sooner than Regina or Saskatoon. It's double the population of Regina, and almost 200K more than Saskatoon. Halifax would also be an easier draw for fans from the rest of the Province outside of Cape Breton simply because of the smaller scale geography.

Realistically I don't think it's viable to have a NHL team anywhere that it would require more than 5% of the total population of the city to fill the arena for a given game.....at least not at the current prices of NHL tickets.
Saskatchewan could easily support a hockey team, we fill up the stadium for cfl games at home and abroad.
CFL games cost $25.

SSK 32,835
EDM 32,711
WPG 27,715
CAL 26,417
OTT 23,588
HAM 23,563
BC 19,574
MTL 17,212
TOR 14,192

If you increased ticket costs to a starting point of $60 and went up from there, your attendance would plummet. I would venture to say that the only cities that would keep their franchises at NHL ticket prices would be the prairie provinces because of culture. But you would start to see a drop once fans from out of town were factoring travel, accommodation, and food, costs if the trip is more than 3 hours.
Last edited by Meds on Mon Jul 22, 2019 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Richardstroker69
MVP
MVP

Mëds wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 1:08 pm
micky107 wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:54 am Recent article on where an NHL franchise could happen. I don't agree with the final analysis but the read is decent;

Just saying, where else would they draw fans from. LA? Ever tried that? Yikes. D

Relocation may be ugly but is that not a better choice under present some circumstances ?
Between Saskatchewan and the Maritimes, I'd say that Halifax could support a team sooner than Regina or Saskatoon. It's double the population of Regina, and almost 200K more than Saskatoon. Halifax would also be an easier draw for fans from the rest of the Province outside of Cape Breton simply because of the smaller scale geography.

Realistically I don't think it's viable to have a NHL team anywhere that it would require more than 5% of the total population of the city to fill the arena for a given game.....at least not at the current prices of NHL tickets.
Saskatchewan could easily support a hockey team, we fill up the stadium for cfl games at home and abroad.
CFL games cost $20.
I don’t think you realize the amount of wealth in southern Sask, and the obsession with hockey, there are a lot of people in my neck of the woods with jets season tickets (4hr drive). CFL is a shit product compared to nhl. What kind of crowds do the lions get? I can’t imagine them being able to fill a stadium, yet the Canucks even when sucking are still filling up.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Richardstroker69 wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 1:12 pm
Mëds wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 1:08 pm

CFL games cost $20.
I don’t think you realize the amount of wealth in southern Sask, and the obsession with hockey, there are a lot of people in my neck of the woods with jets season tickets (4hr drive). CFL is a shit product compared to nhl. What kind of crowds do the lions get? I can’t imagine them being able to fill a stadium, yet the Canucks even when sucking are still filling up.
I edited my reply while you were replying....

SSK 32,835
EDM 32,711
WPG 27,715
CAL 26,417
OTT 23,588
HAM 23,563
BC 19,574
MTL 17,212
TOR 14,192

If you increased ticket costs to a starting point of $60 and went up from there, your attendance would plummet. I would venture to say that the only cities that would keep their franchises at NHL ticket prices would be the prairie provinces because of culture. But you would start to see a drop once fans from out of town were factoring travel, accommodation, and food, costs if the trip is more than 3 hours.

Vancouver is drawing from a population base of $3M people within a 90 minute drive, that number goes up as you head out into the province.

Saskatchewan as a Province has what? 1.2M people?

The TV revenues just wouldn't be there either, although I'm sure TSN would jump at the chance to pick up another hockey market when Rogers declined the costs of another channel just to satisfy maybe 300,000 viewers.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

As the bigger center, but about 25% population, Saskatoon would be the place that landed the team, not Regina.
Richardstroker69
MVP
MVP

Mëds wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 1:28 pm
As the bigger center, but about 25% population, Saskatoon would be the place that landed the team, not Regina.
I stand by the fact that a Saskatchewan team would fill the seats, it’ll never happen though so no point in arguing about it.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

I can see downtown vagina on a clear day
If you need air...call it in
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

Richardstroker69 wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 1:35 pm
I stand by the fact that a Saskatchewan team would fill the seats, it’ll never happen though so no point in arguing about it.
I won't argue we wouldn't support a team, but oil or no oil, there isn't enough corporate sponsorship. PCS supports the Riders, and wouldn't be a tough go, but sure they would throw some corporate dollars at the team. Then what?? Cresentpoint?

I bet the crown corps would support it, but still.. there isn't 1000 private buisnesses that gross over 1million profit a year (much less than $500k) in SE Sask. If 1/2 of them supporte the team, it's still not enough...

My family pioneered this province. I grew up in SE Sask. Hell, my family built the first house in Weyburn. Lived here my whole life. I run a profitable buisness, love hockey... but dude, even if we had an arena that sat 16,000 people (only cost 500million), the math just doesn't work to support that team, and still be able to spend enough to win...

... now, you want to have an AHL team here, and be the farm team for the canucks, let see go grab a pilsner and talk buisness!! :D :D :D :D :D :D
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

The canucks bred a winning stable of prospects across the sunrise from you 15 years ago with the moose. That seemed to be a fantastic way to run an nhl minor affiliate. It was far too short lived for what kind of character product it spit out.

The saskatchatoon quilt-schooners!
If you need air...call it in
Todd Bersnoozi
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

I'm surprised Saskatchewan doesn't have an AHL team. Surely, they can do better than just the Regina Pats. When the Peg lost their NHL team, they had the Moose to help fill the void.