Canucks Young Guns

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Re: Canucks Young Guns

Post by Strangelove »

A lot can change in one year these days.

Trades, UFAs, less injuries, etc.

What if we get Dahlin and Juolevi is ready?

IF Demko is ready, bring him up!
____
Try to focus on someday.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

A lot of "ifs", there Doc. ;)

If we had a true starter, I'd be less hesitant to bring him up, but whole back end *as it looks now* is a clusterfuck of placeholders. Of course, the kid could have the character to handle it, but I'd rather not throw our goalie-of-the-future under the the bus if we don't need to.
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

We've seen teams change dramatically (in both directions) the last few years.

If he's ready, he's ready...
____
Try to focus on someday.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Cornuck wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:05 pm The only reason I would want Demko up here is the stop the first fucking shot of the game. It would be nice not to start every damn game behind the eight ball.
If it's off the wall, it's gonna be in Vancouver,
Two goalies. Look the same. Move the same, and have the identical weakness with the glove hand?
They stick it out but the puck don't go in it. :lol:
"evolution"
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

Cornuck wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:05 pm The only reason I would want Demko up here is the stop the first fucking shot of the game. It would be nice not to start every damn game behind the eight ball.
Hey, let's not exaggerate... it probably only seemed to have happened about 20 times.

But, in reality, I would like to see the stat on how many goals went in on the first 4 shots...
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Maybe if the goalie can save the first shot of the game, the skaters can return the favour and score more than one goal a game. I’m no fan of the current goalies but the entire roster is an abortion
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:34 am Maybe if the goalie can save the first shot of the game, the skaters can return the favour and score more than one goal a game. I’m no fan of the current goalies but the entire roster is an abortion
Not the entire roster, but I see your point (to a point). As for the current scoring woes - yeah, not much needs to be said about that.

For over the course of the season, even when we were playing better, the team was almost playing catch-up thanks to a soft goal against to start the game.

Our record (last year, but similar roster) when we score first: .586 - and when the other team scored first: .245(only 4 teams were worse).

So with our mix of vets and kids, it seems those first goals cut our chance of winning in half.

Last year I bought into your 'give Markstrom the reins" theory and although it's been great for our draft position, it really hasn't worked out. Not sure what we'll see next year.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Lipstick
Motte
Goldy

are not

Gaunce
Berchia
Granlund

and it shows on the scoreboard
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Cornuck wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:07 am
Blob Mckenzie wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:34 am Maybe if the goalie can save the first shot of the game, the skaters can return the favour and score more than one goal a game. I’m no fan of the current goalies but the entire roster is an abortion
Not the entire roster, but I see your point (to a point). As for the current scoring woes - yeah, not much needs to be said about that.

For over the course of the season, even when we were playing better, the team was almost playing catch-up thanks to a soft goal against to start the game.

Our record (last year, but similar roster) when we score first: .586 - and when the other team scored first: .245(only 4 teams were worse).

So with our mix of vets and kids, it seems those first goals cut our chance of winning in half.

Last year I bought into your 'give Markstrom the reins" theory and although it's been great for our draft position, it really hasn't worked out. Not sure what we'll see next year.
Yeah they threw him into the deep end and he isn’t a good swimmer. That said I’m not sure an ancient Miller was ever the correct answer for this team. It was a garbage fire with him the last two seasons as well. Maybe a few more dirty diapers on the fire with Jacob but I don’t think Pekka Rinne or a prime Carey Price gets this klown outfit within fifteen points of playoffs
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:09 am ... but I don’t think Pekka Rinne or a prime Carey Price gets this klown outfit within fifteen points of playoffs
True - and that's why I'm not really sweating it. This team needs one more top pick and then with some of prospects turning into rookies and into legit players, we should turn the corner in 1 to 2 years™.

I'm hoping that we're seeing rock bottom right now with this stretch of games.
DonCherry4PM
MVP
MVP

Post by DonCherry4PM »

Cornuck wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:27 am
Blob Mckenzie wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:09 am ... but I don’t think Pekka Rinne or a prime Carey Price gets this klown outfit within fifteen points of playoffs
True - and that's why I'm not really sweating it. This team needs one more top pick and then with some of prospects turning into rookies and into legit players, we should turn the corner in 1 to 2 years™.
But once the draft hits (or July at the latest) that timeline resets to 0 to 1 year™. Even with the equivocal sorta kinda goodish prediction, not sure that is enough time. Now if we were to draft a a certain Swedish D-man this draft.....
Invincibility lies in oneself.
Vincibility lies in the enemy.

- Sun Tzu
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Växjö beat Brynäs 4-0 in game three to get a 2-1 lead in the quarter final.
Elias assisted on the third goal, which means he has finally earned a playoff point.
Let's hope that the proverbial ketchup bottle is now past the critical point, and that things will flow rapidly from now on.

Jonathan Dahlén's team, Timrå, will play their first relegation game on Sunday.
If they can beat Karlskrona in a best out of seven series they will be in the SHL next season.
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

I believe Gaudettes season could be over today if they lose. If they lose we find out quickly if Gaudette gets the Boeser treatment. Would' be awesome if he did get the Boeser treatment, a nice distraction to the stealth tank.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
BladesofSteel
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BladesofSteel »

Vaxjo defeats Brynas 5-3 today to take a 3-1 lead in the series.

Petts with a goal and two helpers. :mex:
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

BladesofSteel wrote: Sat Mar 24, 2018 11:55 am Vaxjo defeats Brynas 5-3 today to take a 3-1 lead in the series.

Petts with a goal and two helpers. :mex:
Brynäs had a 3-2 lead early in the third period, before Pettersson assisted to 3-3 and 4-3 and then scored the fifth goal himself.

Couple of quotes from Aftonbladet:
"The coaches and the older players have helped me. They've told me I shouldn't get stressed up and remain calm, and that I need to feel confident in the things I'm good at. In the first two games I was thinking too much and that made me too slow. Then it's easy to defend against me." Elias Pettersson

"It was a damned tough game for us to play. Brynäs were working incredibly hard for their team crest and their goalie, they gave us nothing for free and scored some really tough goals for us to handle, but then a couple of guys made a difference in the end. Elias Pettersson is really important for us, he stepped up and made the difference. It's a fantastic hockey player." Sam Hallam (Växjö's head coach)
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.