Canucks Young Guns

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Re: Canucks Young Guns

Post by Chef Boi RD »

rats19 wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 5:33 pm
RoyalDude wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 5:04 pm The 2 year $20 million Gillis offered Matts “old man with bad knees” Sundin was atrocious as well
I misremember that period.. :drink:
Implanted permanently

Gillis has been studying how they do things in Aussie Rules Football
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

ESQ wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 3:24 pm
micky107 wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:18 pm Gillis was freaking because trying to sign, what everyone knew was his objective, Hamhuis, was in stall mode.
He got the chance to sign Ballard so he did. Then later, (just a little later, His main target came to fruition.
Ballard did not start out all that bad. That trade receives plenty of sour grapes. I don't understand why.
Its because Ballard, like Guddy, went from an ironman to super injury-prone as soon as he arrived. Couple that with him often being a press box watcher and with him being terrible when he did make it in the lineup. It was super bizarre how much he regressed from a top-4 to riding the pine consistently once he got here
If I recall, Vinny healthy scratched him a few times and no-one knew why.
The Banter around town was he just didn't like him. Oh well.
"evolution"
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

micky107 wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:29 pm
ESQ wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 3:24 pm
micky107 wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:18 pm Gillis was freaking because trying to sign, what everyone knew was his objective, Hamhuis, was in stall mode.
He got the chance to sign Ballard so he did. Then later, (just a little later, His main target came to fruition.
Ballard did not start out all that bad. That trade receives plenty of sour grapes. I don't understand why.
Its because Ballard, like Guddy, went from an ironman to super injury-prone as soon as he arrived. Couple that with him often being a press box watcher and with him being terrible when he did make it in the lineup. It was super bizarre how much he regressed from a top-4 to riding the pine consistently once he got here
If I recall, Vinny healthy scratched him a few times and no-one knew why.
The Banter around town was he just didn't like him. Oh well.
Blob was none too happy about how Giggles handled Buyout Ballard
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Zedlee
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Zedlee »

IIRC Ballard was a replacement for Willie Mitchell, who was a UFA but his health status was unclear due to a serious concussion.
Gillis decided to not sign Willie and trade for Dr Ballard. Alas...Willie recovered and went on to win two Cups with LA. Damn...I really liked Mitchell and wish he had stayed!
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 5:37 pm
RoyalDude wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 5:04 pm The 2 year $20 million Gillis offered Matts “old man with bad knees” Sundin was atrocious as well
Or you could look at it through a grown ups lense and come to terms with the fact it was a one year deal worth 8.6 million prorated for a team that had a gaggle of cap and a solid roster.

I mean I could speculate about offers that may or may not have happened like offering a massive futures package for both Pernell Karl snd East Van Milan.

Let’s deal with reality
Ya I don't know why anyone would complain about the Sundin signing. Gillis went out and got the biggest UFA signing of the season. He was slow to warm up, but was great in the playoffs and a great influence on the Sedins and Kesler.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Thank God the old Swede didn’t accept the $20m/2 year deal, it would have ruined us.

But yes, it turned out alright in the end…
____
Try to focus on someday.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Strangelove wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 3:50 pm Thank God the old Swede didn’t accept the $20m/2 year deal, it would have ruined us.

$20 million/2 year deal for a broken down hasbeen. The legendary Mike Gillis
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

RoyalDude wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 6:58 pm
Strangelove wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 3:50 pm Thank God the old Swede didn’t accept the $20m/2 year deal, it would have ruined us.

$20 million/2 year deal 11 years ago, when our current best player was 9 for a broken down hasbeen. The legendary Mike Gillis
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 4:21 pm These idiots have been batting about a $1.50 since Brian Burke was here. Mikka Noronen to Derek Plante
Noronen - 2005-06 Canuck circa :lol: is Bubbles an old man or what?
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Surprise ;

Matthew Sekeres
@mattsekeres
27m27 minutes ago

Name to keep an eye on with the #Canucksat at #NHLTradeDeadline is prospect W Jonathan Dahlen (acquired from Ottawa for Alex Burrows two years ago). My understanding is Canucks have shopped him, soured on him a bit after seeing him in his first AHL year with @UticaComets.
"evolution"
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

micky107 wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 3:31 pm Surprise ;

Matthew Sekeres
@mattsekeres
27m27 minutes ago

Name to keep an eye on with the #Canucksat at #NHLTradeDeadline is prospect W Jonathan Dahlen (acquired from Ottawa for Alex Burrows two years ago). My understanding is Canucks have shopped him, soured on him a bit after seeing him in his first AHL year with @UticaComets.
I wonder if its attitude because he has skill galore and past success with Pettersson. I really think they should be seeing if he can play at the NHL level with Pettersson.
The only HW the Canucks need
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

ESQ wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:13 pm
Blob Mckenzie wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 5:37 pm
Or you could look at it through a grown ups lense and come to terms with the fact it was a one year deal worth 8.6 million prorated for a team that had a gaggle of cap and a solid roster.

I mean I could speculate about offers that may or may not have happened like offering a massive futures package for both Pernell Karl snd East Van Milan.

Let’s deal with reality
Ya I don't know why anyone would complain about the Sundin signing. Gillis went out and got the biggest UFA signing of the season. He was slow to warm up, but was great in the playoffs and a great influence on the Sedins and Kesler.
Nobobdy should complain about that signing. Unless they are a fucking idiot.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Hockey Widow wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 4:06 pm
micky107 wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 3:31 pm Surprise ;

Matthew Sekeres
@mattsekeres
27m27 minutes ago

I wonder if its attitude because he has skill galore and past success with Pettersson. I really think they should be seeing if he can play at the NHL level with Pettersson.
He hasn't exactly been lighting up the AHL. Until he proves he deserves to be here, I don't see any reason to gift him a career riding EP's coat-tails.
Richardstroker69
MVP
MVP

Post by Richardstroker69 »

I think sekeres is just throwing shit at the wall
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Richardstroker69 wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 7:07 pm I think sekeres is just throwing shit at the wall
Maybe he is ... maybe he isn’t. They Gould be looking at acquiring a young RH D prospect that’s a bit closer to the NHL than Woo.

If Ekblad is available I’d look at crafting a package for him. 2020 1st (unprotected), Dahlen,Olaf, Gudbranson, Goldy/Leivo. Is that enough?
Last edited by Blob Mckenzie on Fri Feb 22, 2019 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”