Canucks Young Guns

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

ESQ
MVP
MVP

Re: Canucks Young Guns

Post by ESQ »

I think Pod can maybe buy out his contract, but this is rarely done - and I don't think it's ever been done just to sign an ELC in the NHL. The canucks will need to "negotiate"/bribe his KHL team to let him join the NHL next spring after the Russian season is over, allowing Pod to burn a year off his ELC. If they wait until the off-season to sign him, it's just a normal 3 year elc - which is my preference, but Benning likes to give young guys a shot in the spring. Who knows, at age 20 he could be a secret weapon for the playoffs run next season.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

The NHL and Russian Hockey Federation does not have a transfer agreement but there is an agreement not to interfere with each other's valid contracts.
Meh! Sounds vague enough... ;)
"evolution"
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

According to an Islanders' blog, the KHL buyout process takes 15 months. So there is no reason for Pod to buy out his contract, as it has 15 months or so left.
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

On another, positive note, Jake has got himself into the top-20 of 2014-drafted players this season with 19 points, and tied for 10th in goals.

He is 5 points out of the top-10 for points overall, and 3 goals back of top-7 for goals.

I'd say he's salvaged his value to at least a mid-1st round pick, and he still has a shot to be a legit top-10 pick.

Too bad for that asshole Olofsson in Buffalo - he's pushing Quinn down the chart for the Calder, and he's 3rd for points amongst 2014 picks ... in his first season ... after being drafted in the 7th round!
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Virtanen has improved steadily the last 2 1/2 seasons.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

I'd like to see more of last night's Jake. So far he's looking like he'll award our (well, most of ours) patience.
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

Green should be feeding Jake the top 6 minutes and PP time he gives to Leivo.

JV is one point behind Leivo without the babysitting from the coach. I can imagine an even bigger breakout with those opportunities.

Either way, happy to see him make progress even if it's been slower and less steady than most of us would like.
The Best GD Canucks Hockey Talk Forum in the World... With Only 18 People!
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

Good post Hank
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
dangler
MVP
MVP

Post by dangler »

Hank wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 11:03 am Green should be feeding Jake the top 6 minutes and PP time he gives to Leivo.

JV is one point behind Leivo without the babysitting from the coach. I can imagine an even bigger breakout with those opportunities.

Either way, happy to see him make progress even if it's been slower and less steady than most of us would like.
This will probably happen. Sutter returns, Gaudette moves to wing
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

World Juniors thread up and running: http://canuckscorner.com/forums/viewtop ... =11972#top
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

After Roussel's return, Jake worked himself into a few top line shifts and responded even with going back to 3rd line duty. His confidence grew, we've seen this before from him. Recall his play after his WJC disaster. Even though his play improved through that tourney, he will forever where the goat horns for the penalties in the final. He came back to Vancouver an much more confident and much improved player. He's not afraid to shoot the puck. he doesn't have to have the perfect shot.

Of late, there has been a bit too much Garrissonlike waiting for the perfect setup.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

Topper wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 2:41 pm After Roussel's return, Jake worked himself into a few top line shifts and responded even with going back to 3rd line duty. His confidence grew, we've seen this before from him. Recall his play after his WJC disaster. Even though his play improved through that tourney, he will forever where the goat horns for the penalties in the final. He came back to Vancouver an much more confident and much improved player. He's not afraid to shoot the puck. he doesn't have to have the perfect shot.

Of late, there has been a bit too much Garrissonlike waiting for the perfect setup.
That's the thing, people keep saying "he needs to crash the net', but really what he needs to do is just let his shot rip more often. He can shoot and score from all sorts of crazy angles, but he's successful without "crashing the net' and going for tip-ins and rebounds.

One thing I've noticed about Roussel is how great he is at reading the rebound. He seems to know where to put himself to get the rebound for a goal, instead of over-skating and being in way too deep to get the loose puck.
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

ESQ wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 9:48 am On another, positive note, Jake has got himself into the top-20 of 2014-drafted players this season with 19 points, and tied for 10th in goals.

He is 5 points out of the top-10 for points overall, and 3 goals back of top-7 for goals.

I'd say he's salvaged his value to at least a mid-1st round pick, and he still has a shot to be a legit top-10 pick.
Man, that draft is looking pretty solid, lots of good players. I'm probably biased, but I still think I'd take Jake over most of those guys, even over Willie Nylander & S.Reinhart. Only exceptions would be Draistl, Ehlers and Pasternak.

Jake looks like he's ready to take a huge step forward. If he gets more minutes in the top 6 and some PP time, I could see him breaking 20Gs this season, especially if he gets more ice with Petey & JImothy Timothy.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

brobro Rafferty playing elite in Utica....could make Stech avail.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

SKYO wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 8:52 pm brobro Rafferty playing elite in Utica....could make Stech avail.
I liked what i saw of his game. He is composed and calm moving the puck a little like Makar or a young Tanev.

That signing is looking like a winner
If you need air...call it in