Canucks Young Guns

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Todd Bersnoozi
CC Legend

Re: Canucks Young Guns

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

SKYO wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:33 pm Alex Edler's skills emanate a Stanley Cup championship play:

- big, Eddie is a Rob Blake sized 6'3 - 215lbs after a pound of spaghetti.

Eagle is the epitome of a top 4 dman, and we can thank Green/Baumer/Brown on this as they really wanted him back at his 2011 workhorse play.
I always thought of Edler as a poor man's Lidstrom. He's prob more physical than Lidstrom, but Lidstrom is way more skilled and smart all around. At one point, I thought Edler would become way better than Matty Ohlund, but at this point I'd say Ohlund was a better player.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Todd Bersnoozi wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:31 am
SKYO wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:33 pm Alex Edler's skills emanate a Stanley Cup championship play:

Eagle is the epitome of a top 4 dman, and we can thank Green/Baumer/Brown on this as they really wanted him back at his 2011 workhorse play.
I always thought of Edler as a poor man's Lidstrom. He's prob more physical than Lidstrom, but Lidstrom is way more skilled and smart all around. At one point, I thought Edler would become way better than Matty Ohlund, but at this point I'd say Ohlund was a better player.
All your saying is Edler is fucking dope....just not as good as HHOF Lidstrom or one of the greatest Canucks dman of all time.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Is it because they're both Swedes? I don't see the Lidstrom comparison. At all.

Ohlund is a far better comparable, especially in the "what could have been" department (Ohlund/Eye and Edler/back).
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Island Nucklehead wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 5:45 am

Ohlund is a far better comparable, especially in the "what could have been" department (Ohlund/Eye and Edler/back).
Ohlund & Edler's injuries did hugely effect their careers.
Lidstrom is just simply one of the top defense men to have ever played.
"evolution"
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Speaking of young guns....

Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
BladesofSteel
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BladesofSteel »

Brock's shot is absolutely lethal, but that clip isn't even a display of this. His ability so slow the pace down and set himself up is a skill you just can't teach.

Once he reaches his playing weight and improves his quickness, the sky is the limit for this kid. He's pretty special.

It's exciting what this team has in the pipeline with all these kids, but what's really intriguing is the character with which the Horvat's, Boeser's, Hughes, Pettersson's, Woo's and Demko's carry themselves with.

This is our next core
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Some horrific D on that one.
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Legend

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

Todd Bersnoozi wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:31 am I always thought of Edler as a poor man's Lidstrom. He's prob more physical than Lidstrom, but Lidstrom is way more skilled and smart all around. At one point, I thought Edler would become way better than Matty Ohlund, but at this point I'd say Ohlund was a better player.

Yes, they're both Swedes and there's the fact that both are left shot Ds, smooth skating, have similar frames, have howitzers from the point and both are solid 2-way guys (but one is elite).
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Todd Bersnoozi wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:39 am
Todd Bersnoozi wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:31 am I always thought of Edler as a poor man's Lidstrom. He's prob more physical than Lidstrom, but Lidstrom is way more skilled and smart all around. At one point, I thought Edler would become way better than Matty Ohlund, but at this point I'd say Ohlund was a better player.

Yes, they're both Swedes and there's the fact that both are left shot Ds, smooth skating, have similar frames, have howitzers from the point and both are solid 2-way guys (but one is elite).
Sorry Todd, Edler’s skating is nowhere near the same caliber as Lidstrom’s, and Edler has about 25 pounds on the guy. Edler has always been the more physical dman, while Lidstrom played the cerebral game and was fantastic carrying/distributing the puck. I guess if we’re going to say Edler is a comparable to everyone from Kronwall to Ekholm to Klefbom fine... but then what’s the point?
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

https://twitter.com/DhaliwalSports/stat ... 9%3Fs%3D21

Seems to be getting there.
I sincerely hope he at least, offers up some new options.
"evolution"
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Very frustrating. :(

Icebreakers :

G :
Linus Ullmark Buffalo
Anton Forsberg Chicago

D:
Mattias Ekholm Nashville
Tobias Enström Icebreakers
Christian Djoos Washington
Ludvig Byström Florida

Fw:
Nicklas Bäckström Washington
Peter Forsberg. Icebreakers
Jonathan Dahlén. Vancouver
Emil Pettersson. Nashville
Adrian Kempe. Los Angeles
Elias Lindholm. Calgary
Andre Burrakovski Washington
Anton Rödin Anaheim
Elias Pettersson. Vancouver

We've stopped subscribing to the local paper, as there's never anything interesting in it.
But then you miss out on what's happening.

Like, I did not find out that Peter Forsberg's Icebreakers were going to play Valbo HC tonight until all tickets had already been sold. Valbo is in a third or fourth tier league, and their arena (NickBack Arena) only takes 1200 spectators, but it's the team Nicklas Bäckström played for as a kid, and so this is, you know, a way to help them raise money for their youth programme or something. But damn! Dahlén and Pettersson playing with some established NHLers, just 5 km away!

I just wish I had known while there were still tickets... 😞
Last edited by Per on Fri Aug 17, 2018 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Per wrote: Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:57 pm I just wish I had known while there were still tickets... 😞
You need to sneak in and give us a full report. ;)
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Well, one of the local papers put up a live stream - for paying customers. So I've now bought a one month digital subscription at a discount. :lol:

So, really crappy pre-season hockey. Also a friendly fundraiser between a bunch of NHL players and basically a beer league team, so what can you expect. The younger players seemed hungrier though, and I expect both Dahlén and Pettersson to be ready to kill for a roster slot. They each had a hat trick in a game that ended 11-5 for the Icebreakers. Pettersson assisted on two of Dahlén's goals. Anton Rödin scored two goals and Burakovsky, Bäckström and Elias's brother Emil each scored one.
Forsberg assisted on Bäckström's goal.

So, not much of a game, but Pettersson and Dahlén both shone. Looking good! :drink:

Happy that Rödin is getting another shot at making the NHL!
Less happy that it is as a Duck. :(
Guess his old buddy Silfverberg may have put in a good word for him.
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Ya it will sting if Rodin puts up 30 goals for the Ducks.
The only HW the Canucks need
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

Hockey Widow wrote: Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:00 pm Ya it will sting if Rodin puts up 30 goals for the Ducks.
highly unlikely this would happen, he was given multiple chances but things got in the way. I wish him the best and glad he is not taking a roster spot on the Canucks.