Canucks Young Guns

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

ESQ
MVP
MVP

Re: Canucks Young Guns

Post by ESQ »

DonCherry4PM wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 12:58 pm
I consider "skilled high-end players" to include more than "stars" (i.e. I consider them to include legitimate “top-six forwards and top 3 defensemen”). Those comprise more than 11% of the NHL, hence many are alumni of the AHL and have "developed in the AHL".
Just for reference, statistically Antoine Roussel is a top-6 forward in the league (180th amongst forwards for points).

I'd say Utica has "developed" players of that calibre - Gaudette, Virtanen, Goldobin at least.
DonCherry4PM
MVP
MVP

Post by DonCherry4PM »

ESQ wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:46 am
I consider "skilled high-end players" to include more than "stars" (i.e. I consider them to include legitimate “top-six forwards and top 3 defensemen”). Those comprise more than 11% of the NHL, hence many are alumni of the AHL and have "developed in the AHL".
Just for reference, statistically Antoine Roussel is a top-6 forward in the league (180th amongst forwards for points).

I'd say Utica has "developed" players of that calibre - Gaudette, Virtanen, Goldobin at least.
I agree that Guadette will probably be a top six (at least value wise) and hope that you are correct on the other two.

But i do think that, if:

1) JB is as good of a drafter as we think he is,

and

2) Utica is doing a decent job of development,

there should soon be more top 6 forwards and top 3 defensemen coming up from Utica.
Invincibility lies in oneself.
Vincibility lies in the enemy.

- Sun Tzu
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

ESQ wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:46 am

Sorry, can't buy that. Regardless of what players say on air. Gaudette already knew what to work on and that there would be a space for him
as soon as there was a roster spot.
Vitanen knew he was spending the year there. Wasn't pleased but just put in the time like a good soldier, didn't do anything special
just behaved and stayed low key.
Goldobin already had abilities so I don't know what the minors have to do with that other than being a holding pen.
He still has the same abilities and still makes the same air-head plays at times.
Now Briesbois,and McEwen have possibly benefited to some degree.
"evolution"
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

Todd Bersnoozi wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 2:21 am
Imagine that, we had 2 guys farting around in the farm all season long who are better than the Poo Bear. Maybe if one of those guys was up playing here instead of Poo, we'd be sitting on a playoff spot. Greener and his favoritism may have cost this team a better fate. :?

Seriously though, so far Sautner and Brisbois have looked pretty good. They both seem pretty good on their skates and are very mobile. Both seem to be keeping it simple and have not made any glaring mistakes. That's all I wanna see from a young player who served some time on the farm. They don't have to do anything spectacular like put up big points or throw big hits, just be defensively sound and don't cost the team. So far, it's looking like they can do that, which bodes well for the revamp of our D core next season.
This is the real hard part, if a coach is hired to win they play who THEY think will win a game for them. The coach is not thinking about 1 - 2 years from now except they know that they will be fired if they do not win games. The coach/GM and owners all need to be on the same page and plan accordingly.

As one who does not follow Utica I rely on what others say and it is truly disappointing that it seems Green/JB are not on the same page and playing the these new guys over Pouliot. Pouliot is not on the long term plans for the team so when a player is ready in Utica to come up and get a few games he should.

Too bad the conference was so bad that the thought of making the playoffs impacted the right long term decisions to be made.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Reefer2 wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:12 am
Too bad the conference was so bad that the thought of making the playoffs impacted the right long term decisions to be made.
That's one hell of an excellent point, right there, Reef.
"evolution"
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

micky107 wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:23 am
It’s like accidental intelligence, he stumbles into unwittingly on rare occasions, savour the moment, for it’s quite fleeting
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

Which one of these young players in the organization was ready to displace Pouliot at the beginning of the season? Seriously.

If Juolevi didn't get injured, he likely would have done it mid-season.
The Best GD Canucks Hockey Talk Forum in the World... With Only 18 People!
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

RoyalDude wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 6:34 am
It’s like accidental intelligence, he stumbles into unwittingly on rare occasions, savour the moment, for it’s quite fleeting
Still waiting for you to post something intelligent.....
Hockey Widow
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Hockey Widow »

Why does Green get blamed? He can only dress the players the GM gives him.
The only HW the Canucks need
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

Has anyone heard any updates on Hughes? Did they lock him up in a hyperbaric chamber?
The Best GD Canucks Hockey Talk Forum in the World... With Only 18 People!
Hockey Widow
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Hockey Widow »

Hank wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 8:47 am Has anyone heard any updates on Hughes? Did they lock him up in a hyperbaric chamber?

He was supposed to be re-evaluated yesterday with another CAT- scan. I guess he/we will get word today. Skating is such a big part of his game. You always hear others talk about how outstanding his edge work is. If he’s not able to perform at that level we may not see him this season. Last night they were saying we may not see him until the last 2-3 games, just to give him a taste.

I say, why burn a year on his ELC if he is still hurting.
The only HW the Canucks need
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

:lol:

Poor reef...everyone lines up for a kick.
If you need air...call it in
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Uncle dans leg wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:04 am

like clockwork
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
5thhorseman
MVP
MVP

Post by 5thhorseman »

Topper wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:57 am
Uncle dans leg wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:04 am

like clockwork
Like shooting fish in a barrel
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Like fishing with dynamite
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”