Canucks Young Guns

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Re: Canucks Young Guns

Post by 2Fingers »

All I know on Julio is that he will most likely start in Utica, play 20ish games and then get the call up and see what he can do. Regardless of who we have starting the D, there will be an injury by Christmas.

If he does not get the call up then Julio is done like dinner barring the reason is an injury.

Edler/Tanev
Hutton/Stetcher
Huges/New guy

Assume JB is serious when he says that he will address the D in the off season.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Lets hope that doesnt just mean he will have a meeting with the defense and talk about doing the little things better
If you need air...call it in
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Uncle dans leg wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 3:52 pm Lets hope that doesnt just mean he will have a meeting with the defense and talk about doing the little things better
I think the pitchforks would come out at that point. Assuming Hughes is ready to pay NHL minutes, we need at least one decent to good UFA signing.
This would give Reef's proposed D:
Edler/Tanev
Hutton/Stetcher
Hughes/New guy

This would be a reasonable start to the season, but of course, Tanev and or Edler will play about 50-60% of the season, which means we'll need Ollie to be ready to step in by December(?), give Woo and handful of games and still have Schenn, McEneny and Brisbois on the farm ready for callups.

So.... all Benning has to do is find one UFA Dman, and if that's Karlsson, Gardiner or Myers it will open some more options for pairings (until the inevitable injuries hit)

Or is it worth Benning finding a 2nd UFA and trading one of Stetcher or Hutton for a pick (not counting waiver-wire Comet-fodder)?
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Does anyone know if Woo can play in the AHL next year. Is itNHL or junior or can they keep him in Utica.
The only HW the Canucks need
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Hockey Widow wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:43 pm Does anyone know if Woo can play in the AHL next year. Is itNHL or junior or can they keep him in Utica.
No he can’t play in Utica.

Makes more sense to let him play junior and dominate. Maybe he will get chosen to represent Canada at the WJC
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:46 pm
Hockey Widow wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:43 pm Does anyone know if Woo can play in the AHL next year. Is itNHL or junior or can they keep him in Utica.

Makes more sense to let him play junior and dominate. Maybe he will get chosen to represent Canada at the WJC
Without really having seen him play I agree Blob. The one thing he has going for him is he is a righty. If he shows well at camp he may get 10 games. But I think letting him continue to develop both on the ice and off, as well as physically, would be a better path for him.
The only HW the Canucks need
Cherry Picker
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Cherry Picker »

Cornuck wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 4:28 pm
Uncle dans leg wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 3:52 pm Lets hope that doesnt just mean he will have a meeting with the defense and talk about doing the little things better
I think the pitchforks would come out at that point. Assuming Hughes is ready to pay NHL minutes, we need at least one decent to good UFA signing.
This would give Reef's proposed D:
Edler/Tanev
Hutton/Stetcher
Hughes/New guy

This would be a reasonable start to the season, but of course, Tanev and or Edler will play about 50-60% of the season, which means we'll need Ollie to be ready to step in by December(?), give Woo and handful of games and still have Schenn, McEneny and Brisbois on the farm ready for callups.

So.... all Benning has to do is find one UFA Dman, and if that's Karlsson, Gardiner or Myers it will open some more options for pairings (until the inevitable injuries hit)

Or is it worth Benning finding a 2nd UFA and trading one of Stetcher or Hutton for a pick (not counting waiver-wire Comet-fodder)?

If they resign Edler, I wouldn't mind Hutton being traded for a top six winger. I'm not a huge fan even if his play has improved. I am confident Hughes will be NHL ready right off the hop. If they seriously want to revamp the defense they should move out either Edler or Hutton and then open a spot for Sautner, Juolevi, Brisebois or others to compete for. Hughes is going to replace Hutton's offense, and Sautner will likely be better defensively long term.

Left side depth could be:

Edler or Hutton
Hughes
Sautner, Juolevi, Brisbois or other (possibilities include a left side FA, a vet on a tryout, a waiver pick up at the start of the year when there are good players being snuck through, or maybe Tryamkin returns. There are options if Edler or Hutton are gone.

The right side definitely needs help after Tanev and Stecher there is very little to be confident in. A couple better skating FA to add depth there would really help. The Bulldog and Schenn are tweeners who do okay for short bursts but get exposed after a while. The goal for the summer should start with finding upgrades for those two.
We are all Snidely Whiplash.
Carlyee
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Carlyee »

There are always NCAA free agents that could make the NHL this time of year as well. As bad as the last 10 or so games have been it is kind of exciting looking forward to the future. Just as long as we don't have to do it for 20 years like the Coilers.
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

Assuming the Canucks sign 2 UFA top-4 D this year:

If you had to move on from a pair of Canucks D, who'd you rather see leave:

Edler/Tanev or
Hutton/Stecher

Edler and Tanev are the better players, but Hutton/Stecher are younger and far more durable. Its a tough call for me, but I'd go with moving on from Edler/Tanev - frees up more cap space, gets younger, have a more reliably healthy top-4.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Hockey Widow wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 12:01 am
Blob Mckenzie wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:46 pm

Without really having seen him play I agree Blob. The one thing he has going for him is he is a righty. If he shows well at camp he may get 10 games. But I think letting him continue to develop both on the ice and off, as well as physically, would be a better path for him.
Yeah I bet Woo has a powerful camp, hitting everyone in sight, making us wish he'd join the team right away, but another year in junior working on the little things to turn pro will be good for him.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Cherry Picker
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Cherry Picker »

ESQ wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:32 am Assuming the Canucks sign 2 UFA top-4 D this year:

Edler/Tanev or
Hutton/Stecher

Edler and Tanev are the better players, but Hutton/Stecher are younger and far more durable. Its a tough call for me, but I'd go with moving on from Edler/Tanev - frees up more cap space, gets younger, have a more reliably healthy top-4.
I can't see how they can afford to lose either Tanev or Stecher because they have no depth on the right side of the D beyond those two.
I can see either Hutton or Edler moving on. They have some decent prospect depth on the left side.
We are all Snidely Whiplash.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Pretty cool our overager right side dmen prospects in the OHL.

6'3 205lbs Matt Brassard & 6'0 190lbs Mitch Eliot are 8th and 9th in dmen points.

53pts and 52pts respectively.
220 shots and 195 shots on net.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Pierre McGuire:
See's Gaudette eventually as top-six forward, 50-70 point player;

Canucks may need to focus on drafting defencemen - not best player available -if want to shore up weak back-end
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Cherry Picker wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 12:14 pm
ESQ wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:32 am Assuming the Canucks sign 2 UFA top-4 D this year:

Edler/Tanev or
Hutton/Stecher

I can't see how they can afford to lose either Tanev or Stecher because they have no depth on the right side of the D beyond those two.
I can see either Hutton or Edler moving on. They have some decent prospect depth on the left side.
Yeah gotta keep Tanev and Stetcher... unless we sign Karlsson. :D

There's still Tryamkin, who I keep insisting will play the right side.
____
Try to focus on someday.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Whats happening with Horvats production? Has he been run down or is there an injury? He seems to be notably slower than the first 30+ games and am curious what peoples opinions are on his game
If you need air...call it in