Canucks Young Guns

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Topper
CC Legend

Re: Canucks Young Guns

Post by Topper »

Reefer2 wrote: Wed Aug 08, 2018 3:40 pm Defenders never get the love, people want points, goals, blocking shots do not sell tickets.

I think all the EP stuff has made his stock rise.
Like Alex Edler.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

Topper wrote: Wed Aug 08, 2018 5:50 pm
Reefer2 wrote: Wed Aug 08, 2018 3:40 pm Defenders never get the love, people want points, goals, blocking shots do not sell tickets.

Like Alex Edler.
Edler was a freaking fire drill for so many years. He was never a true #1 regardless of others hopes and dreams. Cannot wait for him to leave, then this team has really moved on. Yeah I know he is the last remaining but just want him gone.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Reefer2 wrote: Wed Aug 08, 2018 6:20 pm

Like Alex Edler.
Edler was a freaking fire drill for so many years. He was never a true #1 regardless of others hopes and dreams. Cannot wait for him to leave, then this team has really moved on. Yeah I know he is the last remaining but just want him gone.
I thought he was the best D-man this past season.
Oh sorry, wait, he was.
"evolution"
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

micky107 wrote: Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:55 am

Like Alex Edler.
Oh sorry, wait, he was.
Lol, so 1 year he was good, then 1-3 years of crap.

Do you judge a player by 1 year?
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Reefer2 wrote: Thu Aug 09, 2018 7:45 am
micky107 wrote: Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:55 am I thought he was the best D-man this past season.
Oh sorry, wait, he was.

2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

Topper wrote: Thu Aug 09, 2018 7:49 am
micky107 wrote: Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:55 am I thought he was the best D-man this past season.
Oh sorry, wait, he was.

So what’s your point?
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

micky107 wrote: Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:55 am

Like Alex Edler.
Oh sorry, wait, he was.

No.
https://www.hockey-reference.com/player ... ral01.html
"evolution"
UWSaint
MVP
MVP

Post by UWSaint »

Reefer2 wrote: Wed Aug 08, 2018 6:20 pm Edler was a freaking fire drill for so many years. He was never a true #1 regardless of others hopes and dreams. Cannot wait for him to leave, then this team has really moved on. Yeah I know he is the last remaining but just want him gone.
Moved on from the concept of having a solid (if not great) all-zones player?

Edler was never as bad as the hyperbole vomited on this board.

But he did peak and decline. But he has declined to a pretty good spot; he was quite good last year and was not bad the two years before. He has, however, carried a sizable burden, and that's where many of the warts show. But is a strongman weak because he is asked to be even stronger because everyone else is weak?

Absent injury -- and he's never been an ironman (how much of that contributes to the decline?) -- I think there is every reason to believe that Edler can play well in this league for 3-5 more seasons. By well I mean top 4 caliber.

Trade him at the deadline if he isn't going to be resigned to get assets. But don't get rid of him just to purge the Canucks of everything older than 4 years. It isn't poison to have one guy on the team who was with the franchise when it was winning....

And Edler might end up of being one of the best FAs on the market in terms of value. There is this strange thing that happens when players decline a bit, are still good and likely will be that way for a while, but don't have any recent "playoff warrior" experience. They are relatively undervalued on the free agent market. I think it is quite possible that the *smart* move would be to keep him for no other reason than there will not be better available alternatives to fill a top 4 spot.
Hono_rary Canadian
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

+1
"evolution"
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

UWSaint wrote: Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:49 am

But he did peak and decline. But he has declined to a pretty good spot; he was quite good last year and was not bad the two years before. He has, however, carried a sizable burden, and that's where many of the warts show. But is a strongman weak because he is asked to be even stronger because everyone else is weak?
Excellent post, UW. I alwasy found people's hate for Edler weird. Was he a legitimate #1 guy? No. Was he paid to be? No. Was he the best we could muster? Absolutely.

Edler has consistently been a capable top-4 defender. The Canucks problem in recent years was that he was far too often our only capable top-4 defender.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

What is very encouraging is that his back seems to be completely stable.
That's huge.
"evolution"
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

Wondering what Mëds will have to say? :lol:

Anyways, I agree UW. At this stage now, we're actually lucky to have Edler here.

The only thing I don't like is that he wants to play goal more than D sometimes. You can clearly tell how often Markstrom is annoyed when he tries to make the save and ends up screening him.
The Best GD Canucks Hockey Talk Forum in the World... With Only 18 People!
rockalt
MVP
MVP

Post by rockalt »

Island Nucklehead wrote: Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:25 am
UWSaint wrote: Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:49 am

Excellent post, UW. I alwasy found people's hate for Edler weird. Was he a legitimate #1 guy? No. Was he paid to be? No. Was he the best we could muster? Absolutely.

Edler has consistently been a capable top-4 defender. The Canucks problem in recent years was that he was far too often our only capable top-4 defender.
No kidding'! The Edler angst makes no sense especially when you consider where he was drafted. If anything he has been one of the best Canucks draft picks ever. He teased fans with his potential leading so many of us to fantasize about a top 10 Dman in the league. When he never reached those lofty expectations, people wanted to tear him a new one. But when you take a step back you have to accept that he is a solid top 4 defenceman who has been forced into a de facto number 1 role due to the thinning defensive depth. It reminds me in many respects if Bieksa. The hype was never the same but people hated his casual style. Again this guy was never going to be a superstar. The Canucks desperately need more diamonds in the rough like Edler and Bieksa. They have been too few and far between which is how we find ourselves in this mess!
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

But the useless bratty kid he's baby sat for two seasons is Reefer's darling. LOL

2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

Topper wrote: Thu Aug 09, 2018 2:08 pm But the useless bratty kid he's baby sat for two seasons is Reefer's darling. LOL
Did I say that, fuck Tops you make shit up?

I have not liked Edler for years, so he had a good season and earned his pay but I also remember several years when he didn’t.