Canucks Young Guns

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Cherry Picker
CC Hall of Fan Member

Re: Canucks Young Guns

Post by Cherry Picker »

Thank Per!
Liked, ‘the “Swedish” team the Vancouver Canucks’.
The Canucks have had lots of luck with Swedish players, hopefully it continues.
Funny how Russians never seem to last in Vancouver (Krutov, Larionov, Bure, Mogilny, Chubarov, Tryamkin all wanted out), but Swedes, since Gradin, often have full careers with the Canucks.
We are all Snidely Whiplash.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Madcombinepilot wrote: Mon Jul 30, 2018 12:57 pm
Cornuck wrote: Mon Jul 30, 2018 12:55 pm
Pettersson: “You could say we are two different styles of play that think alike.”
The Twinsition™ will soon be complete... :D
hey.. my word, your trademark!! ;) :D :D
ok - but remember where you got it. ;)
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=10968&p=263856&hili ... on#p263854

Also - thanks Per. :)
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
DonCherry4PM
MVP
MVP

Post by DonCherry4PM »

Thanks, Corn, SKYO and Per. Interesting tidbits on the up-and-comers.

Petterson and Dahlén sound pretty confident and there is definitely a lot of hope tied up in those two succeeding. Matching the Sedins might be a little premature to expect, but good to see them with a bit of swagger.

Would have been nice to see Hughes play, but possibly better for his development this way.

Definitely could be a couple of surprises at camp this year with what look to be quite promising prospects. Will be watching closely to see who of
Petterson, Dahlén, Lockwood, Gadjovich, Lind, Jasek and Palmu complete for a forward spot. Defense doesn't look to be quite as interesting without Hughes, but perhaps one of Juolevi, Brisbois or Chatfield will push a bit. Can't say I'm nearly as excited about the D prospects but hopefully we will all be pleasantly surprised.
Invincibility lies in oneself.
Vincibility lies in the enemy.

- Sun Tzu
DonCherry4PM
MVP
MVP

Post by DonCherry4PM »

World Junior Showcase in Kamloops to include 4 Canucks' Prospects:

Hughes, Woo, DiPietro and Utunen

Relevant Links:

https://www.nhl.com/canucks/news/vancou ... -299616212

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/wor ... prospects/

https://www.hockeycanada.ca/en-ca/team- ... s/schedule
Invincibility lies in oneself.
Vincibility lies in the enemy.

- Sun Tzu
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Too bad I'm not in clamlips anymore...would've liked to see hughes play
If you need air...call it in
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

Cornuck wrote: Mon Jul 30, 2018 1:18 pm
Madcombinepilot wrote: Mon Jul 30, 2018 12:57 pm
Cornuck wrote: Mon Jul 30, 2018 12:55 pm
Pettersson: “You could say we are two different styles of play that think alike.”
The Twinsition™ will soon be complete... :D
hey.. my word, your trademark!! ;) :D :D
ok - but remember where you got it. ;)
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=10968&p=263856&hili ... on#p263854

Also - thanks Per. :)

So... your word, my trademark?!?

I get confused with freebies!!

(Yes, take that as you want!)

:blush:
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
Linc
CC Rookie

Post by Linc »

Per, thanks for posting the interview and taking the time to translate it for us. I think this is the second or third interview I have seen from Dahlen and he seems to be well spoken for a young kid. Might have a bit of Bieksa's gift for giving interviews from the heart. I am looking forward to the arrival of these two.
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Legend

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

Cherry Picker wrote: Mon Jul 30, 2018 1:12 pm Funny how Russians never seem to last in Vancouver (Krutov, Larionov, Bure, Mogilny, Chubarov, Tryamkin all wanted out), but Swedes, since Gradin, often have full careers with the Canucks.
Not sure that Larionov, Krutov and Almo want out though. In fact, Krutov wanted to stay, but he reported to camp out of shape, so the Canucks just wanted get rid of him. They couldn't drive him to the airport fast enuff. I think Igor actually liked it here and was quite loyal to the club. He went to Europe to play for a year cuz he didn't think some agency back in Russia should take a portion of his salary. Iggy was quite the helpful guy off the ice as well, as he helped secure documentation to prove that Pavel Bure was eligible to be drafted by the Canucks. If Iggy didn't help out, there is a good chance we may have never seen the Russian Rocket in Van-city. Many would argue Bure was the best Canuck ever, but he was definitely the most electrifying and most exciting to watch. As for Almo, think Burke basically just moved him cuz we were pretty much out of the playoffs. Burke just wanted to get younger and get assets for Almo b4 he became a free agent. Kind of like what JB did with Burr and Hansen.
Puck
MVP
MVP

Post by Puck »

That sounds about right...

...but more importantly, is it just me, or is Wee Todd turning a new leaf? In a 196 word post he managed to use actual words for all but four. He also used full names for players at least six times. Do you have a new girlfriend from the English department, Todd?
Cherry Picker
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Cherry Picker »

Todd Bersnoozi wrote: Tue Jul 31, 2018 1:24 am
Cherry Picker wrote: Mon Jul 30, 2018 1:12 pm Funny how Russians never seem to last in Vancouver (Krutov, Larionov, Bure, Mogilny, Chubarov, Tryamkin all wanted out), but Swedes, since Gradin, often have full careers with the Canucks.
Not sure that Larionov, Krutov and Almo want out though. In fact, Krutov wanted to stay, but he reported to camp out of shape, so the Canucks just wanted get rid of him. They couldn't drive him to the airport fast enuff. I think Igor actually liked it here and was quite loyal to the club. He went to Europe to play for a year cuz he didn't think some agency back in Russia should take a portion of his salary. Iggy was quite the helpful guy off the ice as well, as he helped secure documentation to prove that Pavel Bure was eligible to be drafted by the Canucks. If Iggy didn't help out, there is a good chance we may have never seen the Russian Rocket in Van-city. Many would argue Bure was the best Canuck ever, but he was definitely the most electrifying and most exciting to watch. As for Almo, think Burke basically just moved him cuz we were pretty much out of the playoffs. Burke just wanted to get younger and get assets for Almo b4 he became a free agent. Kind of like what JB did with Burr and Hansen.
Krutov was homesick and wanted out.
Larionov could have resigned with Vancouver, but didn’t. He has his reasons.
Bure forced a trade out of Vancouver.
Chubarov left his car in the GM place parking lot, flew to Russian, and never came back.
Tryamkin couldn’t stand the pot stink on the east side and split.
I shouldn’t have included Mogilny, my bad, he just didn’t show as much effort in Vancouver as he did elsewhere and was traded.
But I also failed to include how Federov wanted out just because Bieksa Superman punched him. He should have been honoured.

Still the point that Russians have failed to have full careers in Vancouver compared to the Swedes stands.
Compare how full those Ruskie careers were to Swedes like Gradin, Naslund, Ohlund, Sedins, Edler and my point stands.
Going forward based on the historical results, for the Canucks, getting top Swedish prospects seems like a better strategy than going after Russian ones. So having prospects like Pettersson and Dahlen is great. Russian seem to have more issues. You’ll notice the Russian Manukyan was the only draft pick that didn’t show up to the prospect camp. Not off to a great start if he really wants to make it to the NHL.
We are all Snidely Whiplash.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Igor was left unprotected by Pat Quinn in the expansion draft. I think he protected Tom Fergus instead
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Russians are quite often impetuous.
Swedes like roots.
"evolution"
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Cherry Picker wrote: Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:08 am You’ll notice the Russian Manukyan was the only draft pick that didn’t show up to the prospect camp. Not off to a great start if he really wants to make it to the NHL.
Screw that smurfy little fuck. He can take giant whiff of a huge ass as far as I'm concerned
If you need air...call it in
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Uncle dans leg wrote: Tue Jul 31, 2018 11:47 am
Cherry Picker wrote: Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:08 am You’ll notice the Russian Manukyan was the only draft pick that didn’t show up to the prospect camp. Not off to a great start if he really wants to make it to the NHL.
Screw that smurfy little fuck. He can take giant whiff of a huge ass as far as I'm concerned
https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/3 ... m-manukyan
If he can reach that far.
"evolution"
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Manukyan probably needs a couple years in the KHL anyways, chill fam'
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.