Canucks Young Guns

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Re: Canucks Young Guns

Post by Strangelove »

UWSaint wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:21 am
Strangelove wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:52 pm I highly doubt this injury is as severe as Edler's... and the surgery has advanced in recent years.

It's actually pretty common now and Juolevi will likely be ready for full training within a month.

(I did my own research this morning... sorry, no links)
I think that the severity of Edler's injury and recovery period correlated with Sami Salo's salary, not any prior deficiencies in medical technique....
Good point Udub. :mrgreen:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Cherry Picker
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Cherry Picker »

Getting Sammy Salo teaching defensemen is just asking for injury trouble.
It’s as bad as asking Dan Cloutier to teach the goalies how to stop pucks that are shot from centre ice.
We are all Snidely Whiplash.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Tryamkin keeps saying he wants to come back!
Nikita Tryamkin says he's open to a return to the Canucks

“I looked after the Canucks’ games all season,” Tryamkin said. “It was easy because of the time difference – 12 hours from Vancouver to Yekaterinburg. I can wake up and watch the games or highlights.

“I’m still interested how the team plays.”

This begs the question: is he eyeing a return to the NHL?

“Would I like to come back? Why not”
http://dailyhive.com/vancouver/nikita-t ... rn-canucks
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

TDA Rum wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:23 am
Hockey Widow wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:24 am Just wondering if anyone has any insight into the two or are we going down the Stetcher/Hutton experiment.

The Canucks have decided to not offer contracts to Abols and a couple of other wanna be’s. Clearing the deck.
GRAND FORKS — In elementary school, Colton Poolman's class had a reading contest.

The reward was simple—a candy bar or a soda—but Poolman went all in. He read as much as he could.

The habit stuck.

Poolman dove into book series, like Harry Potter, as he got older.

When he was bored playing junior hockey, he either read books at his apartment or tried to teach himself how to play guitar.

"He's a low-key guy," said Dixon Bowen, who has known Poolman since childhood and lived with him for a year in Penticton, B.C. "He'd always come home and play guitar or read books."

His father, Mark, said: "He really enjoys learning things. It's not that other kids don't, but I think he actually enjoys learning new things and implementing them in different conversations."

Poolman's penchant for learning carries over to the ice, too, where he has become one of the most reliable players for No. 6 University of North Dakota, which hosts No. 10 Western Michigan in a two-game series this weekend in Ralph Engelstad Arena (7:37 p.m. Friday, Dec. 1, and 7:07 p.m. Saturday, Dec. 2).

Poolman leads the team in plus-minus rating at plus-8. He has been on the ice for 15 even-strength goals—most of any player on the team. Defensively, he leads the team in blocked shots with 27, ranking fifth in the National Collegiate Hockey Conference in that category.

"He's been a rock back there, playing heavy minutes in all situations," UND coach Brad Berry said. "He's very reliable and dependable when he's on the ice and now he's adding offense to our group, smartly, from the back end."

In the last three weeks, Poolman leads the team in goals (three), assists (three) and points (six).

His defensive pairing with Christian Wolanin has accounted for 31 percent of UND's goals and 23 percent of the team's points during that timespan.

"I think I'm just trying to play a simple solid role, be solid in my own end, make sure to get pucks out and up to the forwards and make sure you do all the little things," Poolman said. "Once all that is done, you can start trying to create a little more offense for the team. Keep doing the little things, because those turn into the bigger things.

"The forwards have been doing a great job getting to the net and providing traffic. That always helps out when you're trying to get stuff through from the point. Playing with Wolanin definitely helps. He creates a lot of space for me out there and he can see the ice so well sometimes. Just having him out there on the ice creates so much for everyone."

Poolman's play has been a huge boost to the 8-4-4 Fighting Hawks, who lost his older brother, Tucker, to the Winnipeg Jets in the offseason. Tucker was the team's top defenseman last season, earning All-American honors.

Different players

Although Colton and Tucker may be brothers, but they are different in a lot of ways.

Colton shoots left-handed, Tucker right. At 6-foot-1, Colton doesn't quite have the same range or slap shot as the 6-foot-3 Tucker, who was a major threat on the power play. While Tucker was extremely laid back no matter the situation, Colton has a little more fire.

Their contrasts made them a perfect match as UND's top defensive pairing last season.

Berry moved the brothers together after Christmas break and they immediately flourished, helping UND knock off Union on the road in their first game together.

For the second half of the season, Poolman got used to playing against opponents' top players, giving him a taste of what was to come this season.

He's now averaging about 24 or 25 minutes per night, being asked to play in all situations.

Poolman has also scored key goals in each of the last three weekends.

Against Miami, he blasted a point shot through traffic.

In UND's upset over No. 1 Denver, he sniped a shot on a three-on-two rush from the right circle to tie the game 3-3 in the third period. UND earlier trailed 3-0 and went on to win 5-4.

Last weekend, he stick-handled around a Union defenseman in the left circle and picked the corner of the net with a wrist shot during UND's 2-2 tie.

"He's scored some pretty dynamic goals," Berry said. "He's not only being evasive but also getting accurate shots to the net. The goals he's scoring are goal-scorer's goals."

Bright future

Poolman was undrafted and opted not to attend any NHL development camps last summer.

But at this rate, he'll soon attract NHL interest—just like his older brother.

And while his reading habit has been limited to textbooks lately—he's an entrepreneurship major—Poolman has still been eager to learn both on and off the ice.

"He's very smart," Berry said. "He knows the next play. Whether he has the puck or not, he knows what the next play is going to be. He's very smart in that regard."
And now Poolman will be attending Canucks development camp.
Ryan Biech:

Colton Poolman is among the invites to #Canucks development camp - posted 29 points (7-22-29) in 40 games with U. of North Dakota this past season.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
sagebrush
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by sagebrush »

SKYO wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:04 pm Tryamkin keeps saying he wants to come back!
It's been reported that a KHL player can buy out his contract by paying 2/3 of the rest of his contract to his team.

A rich enough contract offer from the Canucks for Tryamkin & his KHL team might get him back before the KHL contract expires. A three way deal between the Canucks, Tryamkin, & his KHL team.

However, the extra NHL cap hit for Tryamkin, to cover payment to his KHL team, wouldn't look good on Benning & Linden .... making this less likely. :(
Less Canucks embarrassment please.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

sagebrush wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:43 pm
SKYO wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:04 pm Tryamkin keeps saying he wants to come back!
It's been reported that a KHL player can buy out his contract by paying 2/3 of the rest of his contract to his team.

A rich enough contract offer from the Canucks for Tryamkin & his KHL team might get him back before the KHL contract expires. A three way deal between the Canucks, Tryamkin, & his KHL team.

However, the extra NHL cap hit for Tryamkin, to cover payment to his KHL team, wouldn't look good on Benning & Linden .... making this less likely. :(
It happens frequently enough to make it a possibility. Not as common as it used to be though. Trymakin has said from the get go that he wanted to return to the NHL. Continuing his development in the KHL isn't the worst case scenario. His coach there thought he jumped to the NHL 1-2 years too soon saying he didn't think he had the maturity to handle the pressures.

Trymakin has also said he doesn't want to think about the NHL until his contract is up lessening the likelihood of an early release. However, his dreams of playing for the National team didn't go as planned so maybe he's ready. Who knows. But I believe he will be back 20-21 season. Of course we could lose him to expansion!!
The only HW the Canucks need
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

sagebrush wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:43 pm

I'll bet Nikita earns less than $1M in the KHL, so the signing bonus he'd need to buy out that contract wouldn't be much.

They probably wouldn't pay him any extra at all

... it's just that some of the first year of the contract would come in the form of a signing bonus.
____
Try to focus on someday.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Hockey Widow wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:02 pm But I believe he will be back 20-21 season. Of course we could lose him to expansion!!
I think Nikita would be exempt from a 2020 expansion draft (unless he were to come back before 2020).

I could be wrong, it's too much work to go digging through all the rules...
____
Try to focus on someday.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

SKYO wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:10 pm And now Poolman will be attending Canucks development camp.
Ryan Biech:

Colton Poolman is among the invites to #Canucks development camp - posted 29 points (7-22-29) in 40 games with U. of North Dakota this past season.
Why not just sign him? They waste contract on losers like Mackenzie Stewart, why not sign the kid? Have they ever signed a guy who’s attended the summer camp? Aaaron Irving went last year( or was it the top prospects camp?) and by all accounts acquitted himself well and had a good year in the ECHL. He has yet to receive a contact but losers like Stewart and Cederholm drink gravy from both tits
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Tciso
MVP
MVP

Post by Tciso »

Strangelove wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:34 pm
Hockey Widow wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:02 pm But I believe he will be back 20-21 season. Of course we could lose him to expansion!!
I think Nikita would be exempt from a 2020 expansion draft (unless he were to come back before 2020).

I could be wrong, it's too much work to go digging through all the rules...

Does it matter? Loui Ericksson will be exposed in the draft, and we know he'll be a cornerstone of the Seattle franchise :D :)
The Cup is soooooo ours!!!!!!!
Richardstroker69
MVP
MVP

Post by Richardstroker69 »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:39 pm
SKYO wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:10 pm And now Poolman will be attending Canucks development camp.
Ryan Biech:

Why not just sign him? They waste contract on losers like Mackenzie Stewart, why not sign the kid? Have they ever signed a guy who’s attended the summer camp? Aaaron Irving went last year( or was it the top prospects camp?) and by all accounts acquitted himself well and had a good year in the ECHL. He has yet to receive a contact but losers like Stewart and Cederholm drink gravy from both tits
Why sign him when you can wait and see, might be able to get him on an ahl contract.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Fine but why waste money and contract slots on losers like Stewart and Cederholm?
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:24 am Fine but why waste money and contract slots on losers like Stewart and Cederholm?
Both these contracts expire this July do they not?
BladesofSteel
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BladesofSteel »

Yup.

Along with Cassels and Molino, while Labate and Megna are UFA’s.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Aaronp18 wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:12 am
Blob Mckenzie wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:24 am Fine but why waste money and contract slots on losers like Stewart and Cederholm?
Both these contracts expire this July do they not?
Absolutely I’m just questioning why even sign them in the first place. I believe I said it at the time as well.