Canucks Young Guns

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Re: Canucks Young Guns

Post by Cornuck »

Hey Per - how convenient for you to have new Swedish players on the Canucks to follow as the Sedins leave and Edler plays out his contract.
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
orts
CC Veteran

Post by orts »

Cornuck wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:22 pm Hey Per - how convenient for you to have new Swedish players on the Canucks to follow as the Sedins leave and Edler plays out his contract.
Well, I for one hope the nucks draft some more Swedes, because this year has been great to watch now that I live over here and have lost most of my interest in the NHL. Haven't seen Vancouver play at all, because the games are too late at night, but have watched a fair bit of SHL this year, and especially Växjö. It's nice to have a stake in a team here, and the hockey is excellent in general. I followed Brynäs when Rödin was with them, but this was a whole nother level with Petterson and Dahlén in the mix.

In the first half of the season, before I got to recognize him, I would see somebody from Växjö make a great play and think "Who the fuck was that? That was AMAZING", and it was always Petterson. He did get muscled out of the way and knocked down occasionally, but still made brilliant goal-scoring plays while on his ass in the corner. I kept thinking that his stats were only coming on the power play, but the statistics confirm that he did just as well at even strength. Sure, the veterans have been producing more in the playoffs, but that is always the case in the playoffs. Petterson will be a serious star, if his game translates to the NHL -- and I don't see why it won't. Basically he's a skinnier Henrik who can skate and shoot. Also he can ride a unicycle and juggle at the same time.

Oh, and the series between Timrå and Karlskrona was a barn-burner, serious and fast and tight. They should have relegation playoffs in North America like that, too. And NA should adopt the bigger ice.

You all have heard a lot of this already, but I just felt like logging in for the first time in a few years to confirm and to say hi from Midt-Norge.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Welcome back Orts - it's sure been a while. Updates from Sweden are always welcome (we can't always trust Per, you know ;) )
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Cornuck wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:22 pm Hey Per - how convenient for you to have new Swedish players on the Canucks to follow as the Sedins leave and Edler plays out his contract.
Yup. But I didn't start following the Canucks because of the Sedins. I came for Patrik Sundström. 8-)
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Article about Elias Pettersson in Dagens Nyheter, Sweden's biggest daily newspaper:
”I never forget those that have helped me get here”
Växjö’s Elias Pettersson is ready for his first Swedish Championship final. The SHL’s leading point scorer knows what it takes to beat Skellefteå.
VÄXJÖ. No one has scored more points than the Växjö teenager and the praise for him never ends. But 19 year old Elias Pettersson cares more for the team than the individual.
“In a team you do everything together. You grow close, and you want to go the full distance as a group.”
On Tuesday night the first step will be taken toward that Swedish Championship gold that he is longing for as Växjö squares off against Skellefteå in the first game of the final.
“The worst thing I know is losing. I am not a good loser,” Elias Pettersson says with a smile.
“I’m an emotional person, and when good or bad things happen to me, it shows,” he continues.

It’s the day before the first Swedish Championship final. In Vida Arena Växjö’s hockey team. It’s the last practice session before the first game of the final, which will be played in Växjö on Tuesday night.
The pace is high and the players are focused. You can see they are preparing for something important. Practice goes on for one hour, but Elias Pettersson stays on the ice much longer.
“I like to stay longer and get some extra practice. I’ve always done it, so it has become routine for me. Besides, I’m the youngest player on the team, and the three youngest players always have to stay behind to take care of the pucks.”
You haven’t tried to get out of the puck picking, saying that as the SHL points leader you shouldn’t have to do that?
“I’d never do that,” Elias Pettersson answers, and the look he gives me clearly shows how stupid he finds my suggestion.

Elias Pettersson is one of the greatest hockey talents Sweden has brought forth in recent years. In the summer of 2017 he was drafted by the Vancouver Canucks as the fifth player in the first round, but the NHL team thought he needed another season in Sweden before being ready for NHL play.
To prepare for what will come he therefore left Timrå of Allsvenskan, where he had played for several years and joined the SHL team Växjö.
His first year in the SHL can easily be summed up as a huge success. Despite missing several games because of the WJC Elias Pettersson won the SHL points scoring title with his 56 points. Already when he reached 55 he had beaten Kent Nilsson’s previous record for a junior in the SHL.
“At some points I have paused to think about how great this season has gone for me. But I’m not satisfied yet. I want to win gold at any cost,” Elias Pettersson says.
The determined look on his face turns into a smile.
“As I said, I don’t like to lose.”

While Elias Pettersson has been raking in points in the SHL, his old team Timrå has approached a new spring. Barely two weeks ago Timrå qualified to play in the SHL next season and Elias Pettersson’s reaction as he found out during a TV interview right after his own game, showed the emotional side of the teenager. The 19 year old was moved and overjoyed.
“Timrå helped me become the player I am today, and that they are back in the SHL, where they belong, means a lot to me.”
“I never forget those that have helped me get here, and I am grateful for that help. It’s important for me to show this. And I intend to take great care to continue to do so throughout my career, “ he continues emphatically.

On Tuesday the puck drops for the first Swedish Championship final.
Elias Pettersson is ready for his greatest challenge so far, possibly contested by the WJC final.
“Of course it happens that I get nervous ahead of important games. I see that as something positive. It shows that I am ready,” he says.
What will be important for you against Skellefteå?
“We know it’s a good team that always works hard.They have a very good top line, but they really have four lines that can produce, so if we are to win, in short, we must work just as hard as they do. Or preferably even harder.”
“We will make it hard for Skellefteå.”

Malin Fransson
Last edited by Per on Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Btw, Skellefteå, which embodies all that is evil, is coached by Bert Robertsson. :lol:

The only upside of Skellefteå reaching the final is that every time Rahimi will do something, their fans will start chanting "Hata hata Björklöven!*" which actually does give me a certain amount of satisfaction. 8-)

Björklöven and Skellefteå are two teams from the same province, Västerbotten, and there is no love lost between us.
Famously, in the 1970's there was a bench clearing brawl between the two teams during warmup which didn't end till the janitor turned the lights off... :lol:

Oh, and if you haven't tried the cheese (Västerbotten), you should. It's the king of cheese.
http://www.bbc.com/travel/story/2015063 ... t-be-moved

* hata = hate
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

Per wrote: Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:38 am Btw, Skellefteå, which embodies all that is evil, is coached by Bert Robertsson. :lol:

The only upside of Skellefteå reaching the final is that every time Rahimi will do something, their fans will start chanting "Hata hata Björklöven!*" which actually does give me a certain amount of satisfaction. 8-)

Björklöven and Skellefteå are two teams from the same province, Västerbotten, and there is no love lost between us.
Famously, in the 1970's there was a bench clearing brawl between the two teams during warmup which didn't end till the janitor turned the lights off... :lol:

Oh, and if you haven't tried the cheese (Västerbotten), you should. It's the king of cheese.
http://www.bbc.com/travel/story/2015063 ... t-be-moved

* hata = hate
Who would of thought that a bench brawl would occur in Sweden. Just kidding Per.

I certainly hope Pettersson makes the team next year, it will be real exciting to watch all of the young guys. Even JV should start potting more goals.

Just need to win the lottery draft this year.

I am leaning toward a FA D man to support the back end and move a couple of the D we have not for picks or what ever.
Cherry Picker
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Cherry Picker »

I am so happy the Canucks have Pettersson coming. I hope they play him at center right off the hop. Throw him in the deep end. I think he has the character to overcome the challenges of the position after a few months in the NHL. It would be easier to play wing, but he would have more value to the team as a center. Put him on a bottom six line between Eriksson and Granlund with limited minutes to start, and have him work with Malhotra a ton. His talent will come out and he might drag his wingers into top six roles. Next year should be a developmental year anyway, so get him in the center position they want him in eventually and keep him there so he can learn what he needs to work on.
We are all Snidely Whiplash.
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Växjö ahead 4-0 after two periods.
Pettersson assisted on 3-0 and scored the 4-0 goal himself.

All is well.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

I never thought I would be so interested in Swedish playoff hockey LOL. :D
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Pettersson's 4-0 goal itself was nothing impressive, but what was impressive was leading up to the goal, him winning a fight for a loose puck blue line, then fighting off the same player with him draped all over him, re-entering the zone, making a drop pass that leads up to his goal. Like this kids compete level, stealy nerves and cocky. You can see that whole event pissed off the other team, salt in the wound.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Final score 7-0.
Pettersson one goal, two assists.

And Rahimi got to drive the final nail in Skellefteå's coffin!
Must feel great for a Björklöven raised player! 8-)

And mind you, Växjö had their backup in goal.

I predict a clean sweep. :drink:
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

DHA
CC Veteran

Post by DHA »

Per wrote: Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:13 pm Växjö ahead 4-0 after two periods.
Pettersson assisted on 3-0 and scored the 4-0 goal himself.

All is well.
Thanks for the updates Per!
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Per is the voice in Aquaman’s ear!!!! :shock: