Canucks Young Guns

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Re: Canucks Young Guns

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Jovocop wrote: Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:34 am The same so-called analysts, journalists and bloggers who bashed GMJB for picking Pettersson ahead of Glass or others, now change their tones when Pettersson set a new U20 record in the SHL. They are just plain disgusting. I have not even heard one word about what a great job GMJB has done. Yes, GMJB made mistakes just like other GMs but he has singlehandedly stocked up some young talents. The Canucks might not be ready to challenge the cup in the next year or so. However, they will be an exciting team in the near future. The same people who always call for a rebuild are the same one who have no patience for the rebuild. :mad:
Cool story.... glad you got it off your chest
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
sagebrush
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by sagebrush »

Now that we have Jokinen, GMJB may give Pettersson another year to mature in Sweden. Make those young guns earn their spot on the team. :drink:
Less Canucks embarrassment please.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

sagebrush wrote: Sat Mar 10, 2018 11:12 am Now that we have Jokinen, GMJB may give Pettersson another year to mature in Sweden. Make those young guns earn their spot on the team. :drink:
Surely you're not suggesting we resign Jokinen, who is a pending UFA.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

SKYO wrote: Sat Mar 10, 2018 12:41 am
Ronning's Ghost wrote: Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:53 pm
Per wrote: Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:24 pm At 188 cm (6'2" in medieval measures) I wouldn't consider him smallish. He just needs to add some muscle mass.
Yes, but at 75 kilos, he is smallish, and the higher aspect ratio only exacerbates concerns for his durability. One might imagine that a 75 kilo player who was only 170 cm tall was at least ruggedly compact. Even more than he needs muscle mass, he needs skeletal and connective tissue mass (But yes, it is the same training for all, and I think you posted something earlier that shows you understand the relationships amongst those).

If they don't want to give him another season to physically mature, I'd very much want to go with the SKYO bodyguard plan.
I gotta ufa target in sight - a one R.Reaves.

check 2:20 -
https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/ron ... an-reaves/

- ol rock em sock em Cherry says Pens shoulda kept Reaves, citing he was Crosby' protector and sid the kid stayed healthy while Reaves was there, healthy being the key word here, as the Canucks have been one of the most injured teams the past while, we get a few tough sons of bitches to protect our young stars that should help them from the cheap shot artists out there.
I had thought of Reaves as well.

I would be curious to see how many of our injuries are the result of random stuff and how many are are at least partially the result of the pussified hockey we have played under the Sedin leadership.

Even if Pettersson puts on 15lbs over the summer I would still get at least one “bodyguard” for him and Brock.

Go old school and have your two 4th line wingers 5-10 minute guys who will simply drop the mitts and brutalize anyone who takes liberties with the kids.

I’m also an advocate of having a “Matt Cooke” who will return any favours to the other teams superstars if the bodyguards message isn’t received.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Island Nucklehead wrote: Sat Mar 10, 2018 11:36 am
sagebrush wrote: Sat Mar 10, 2018 11:12 am Now that we have Jokinen, GMJB may give Pettersson another year to mature in Sweden. Make those young guns earn their spot on the team. :drink:
Surely you're not suggesting we resign Jokinen, who is a pending UFA.
some one is jussi'd on the kool aid and jokinen around with us
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Hockey Widow wrote: Sat Mar 10, 2018 2:45 am I’m so glad we have you here Per! I enjoy these clips very much
... not to mention the updates/translations. :thumbs:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Jovocop wrote: Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:34 am The same people who always call for a rebuild are the same one who have no patience for the rebuild. :mad:
Yup.
____
Try to focus on someday.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Strangelove wrote: Sat Mar 10, 2018 12:00 pm
Jovocop wrote: Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:34 am The same people who always call for a rebuild are the same one who have no patience for the rebuild. :mad:
Yup.
And yet there are others.... people who wanted it torn down in 2012/13 ,who just want to see a plan instead of throwing a pile of shit against the wall and hoping some of it might stick.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

DHA wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:15 pm BOOM - He can't beat Kents PPG, that guy spent some time in BC. - He could hit a Goalie mask placed on the net from centre ice 7/10 times - did that once in rink in B.C. Crazy talent Nilsson!

I remember when we drafted Elias, most people were like WTF, We want Glass!!!
It a nice accomplishment and no doubt we should be jacked about Petterson; however, we should keep in mind that the Swedish elite league is not as good as the Forsberg/Nilsson days. With other leagues such as the KHL and Swiss league, it takes away some of Sweden's top players and makes it much younger. Also, alot of the top young Swedish players come to North America to play in juniors, USHL and such now. Ferraro talks about it (around 9:20).

https://www.tsn.ca/radio/vancouver-1040 ... -1.1023061
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Todd Bersnoozi wrote: Sat Mar 10, 2018 1:14 pm
DHA wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:15 pm BOOM - He can't beat Kents PPG, that guy spent some time in BC. - He could hit a Goalie mask placed on the net from centre ice 7/10 times - did that once in rink in B.C. Crazy talent Nilsson!

It a nice accomplishment and no doubt we should be jacked about Petterson; however, we should keep in mind that the Swedish elite league is not as good as the Forsberg/Nilsson days. With other leagues such as the KHL and Swiss league, it takes away some of Sweden's top players and makes it much younger. Also, alot of the top young Swedish players come to North America to play in juniors, USHL and such now. Ferraro talks about it (around 9:20).

Well... yeah, there are more players going to foreign leagues these days, and they do it earlier, but I'm not sure the league has gotten worse. Possibly compared to the 90's, when Forsberg played, but the level is far better today than it was in the 70's, when Nilsson played. Back then it was a semi-professional league and most players had a day job. That's also the reason there was only 36 games in a season, because there was one game was on the weekend, but the other was on Thursday night, and if that was a road game, you'd miss one or possibly two days of work, so the hockey players used up half of their vacation days covering the road games... Back then roughly half of the players on the Björklöven roster would be students at Umeå University and most of the others were firemen. Being a fireman was popular among hockey players, because that meant you were allowed to do weight lifting and other work out at work, and also, with work at night and on weekends, it was easier to get a schedule where you could fit the hockey games in without having to use up vacation days.
But I digress. Suffice it to say that the level of hockey in the SHL today is way better than back when Kent Nilsson played there, and probably about as good as back when Forsberg played.

You see, we do lose more players to North America these days, but that also draws more kids into the game; kids who dream about raising the Stanley Cup; so we have more players to spare as well. I would love a rule that said players couldn't head over till they were 23 or something, as that would improve the hockey we get to see here, but that won't happen.

As long as we get to see all the best play for Sweden in the Olympics, I guess we can live with that...
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

Todd Bersnoozi wrote: Sat Mar 10, 2018 1:14 pm

The same Ferraro who said that grit can be replaced with a $800k player? Ferraro can score goals but if he is no GMs nor scouts.
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Also note that while Elias Pettersson had 56 points, and became the first junior to win the SHL scoring title, the second best junior (ie under 20) in the SHL this season had 21 points.
Rasmus Dahlin had 20.

This was also Elias's rookie season in the SHL.
The second best rookie had 34 points.

Just saying.

Oh, and he was tied for second in the league in goal scoring. Just two goals behind the winner.
If he hadn't missed 8 games because of the WJC, he might have won that as well.
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Timrå won the second game against Leksand as well (2-1) and are now ahead 2-0 in the best out of five series that determines which team will get to challenge Karlskrona (who finished last in the SHL) for their SHL slot in a best out of seven series.

Jonathan started the scoring and again did the behind the goal cage thing! :D

The official highlights won't be released till tomorrow, but here's a clip of an expert who has picked three important things from the game:

#3 - Robin Rahm's great goal tending that kept Leksand in the game and gave them a chance to compete
#2 - Jonathan Dahlen's goal
#1 - Timrå's blue line that kept frustrating Leksand's forwards and prevented them from creating anything of substance

http://www.hockeyallsvenskan.se/hockeya ... ideo=qy3o4

Let's face it, it's Dahlén's goal we want to see, so this little clip does the trick, right? :thumbs:
DHA
CC Veteran

Post by DHA »

Per wrote: Sun Mar 11, 2018 12:35 pm Timrå won the second game against Leksand as well (2-1) and are now ahead 2-0 in the best out of five series that determines which team will get to challenge Karlskrona (who finished last in the SHL) for their SHL slot in a best out of seven series.

Jonathan started the scoring and again did the behind the goal cage thing! :D

The official highlights won't be released till tomorrow, but here's a clip of an expert who has picked three important things from the game:

#3 - Robin Rahm's great goal tending that kept Leksand in the game and gave them a chance to compete
#2 - Jonathan Dahlen's goal
#1 - Timrå's blue line that kept frustrating Leksand's forwards and prevented them from creating anything of substance

http://www.hockeyallsvenskan.se/hockeya ... ideo=qy3o4

Let's face it, it's Dahlén's goal we want to see, so this little clip does the trick, right? :thumbs:
I thought - one of Jonathens weakness as a player was his speed, seemed pretty good on this clip...Per do you think it would be possible for him to jump from this tier 2 league in Sweden to the NHL next year?
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

DHA wrote: Sun Mar 11, 2018 1:59 pm I thought - one of Jonathens weakness as a player was his speed, seemed pretty good on this clip...Per do you think it would be possible for him to jump from this tier 2 league in Sweden to the NHL next year?
It's not very common, but it does happen.

Exhibit A: http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=117698
Exhibit B: http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=29626
Exhibit C: http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=7693

Jesper, Filip and Oliver do seem to be doing OK... :mex:
(but in all fairness, both Filip and Oliver did spend time in the AHL as well in their first NHL season)

I think Jonathan is trying to emulate Henrik Zetterberg.

Brief history lesson: Timrå IK was founded in 1921 as the sports club Wifstavarv GIF. They took up hockey in 1937, and by 1956 they had reached the highest league in Sweden. At that time, after merging with two other local clubs, they were called Wifsta/Östrand-Fagervik IK, commonly referred to as WÖF, but the name seemed a bit much, so in the 60's they switched to the name they have today. They stayed in the highest league until they were demoted in 1976. Two brief stints at the top again in 1977/78 and 1981/82, but after that they were lost in the desert till the young Henrik Zetterberg stepped forth, pulled the sword out of the stone and more or less single handedly brought them back to SHL status in 2000. He stayed with them for one more season before becoming a Red Wing, and the team stayed in the SHL until they were demoted again in 2013.

Now, Jonathan and Elias played together in Timrå last season, and this season most people thought they would both play in the SHL. But Dahlén decided to stay in Timrå, despite offers from pretty much every SHL team there was. I think he wants to achieve the same legendary status in Timrå as Zetterberg has, by leading their quest to once again reach the highest echelon of hockey in Sweden. They're almost there.