Canucks Young Guns

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Re: Canucks Young Guns

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Dylan Strome is way too high, he will be worse than his brother. Can't play 5 on 5, terrible skater, shoot first mentality which is not what you want from a centre, is a turnover machine due to his constant obsession with getting away low percentage shots, up go the blinders, and has an arrogance about him, thinks he's special when he is not.

16 AMERICANS
10 CANADIANS
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Benjo
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Benjo »

I have been low on strome since junior. His playoff numbers were not great considering Mcdavid was doing all the heavy lifting and drawing all of the focus and top defenders.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Benjo wrote:I have been low on strome since junior. His playoff numbers were not great considering Mcdavid was doing all the heavy lifting and drawing all of the focus and top defenders.
Right on bro. IMO he shouldn't even be on that list. Him and Dal Colle will be selling Car Insurance within a couple years.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Some Ju highlights - nice poise and crisp passes

Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

If McEneny is for real, with Juolevi and Brisebios around the corner our future on D hadn't looked this good for a long time
black ace
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by black ace »

RoyalDude wrote:If McEneny is for real, with Juolevi and Brisebios around the corner our future on D hadn't looked this good for a long time
Volume. Some of these guys will work out some wont. The more lottery tickets the better.
2011 BC Sports Central CFL Pool Champion
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Does anyone know if the team put Boeser on reserve? I think a team has to do that by trade deadline if that want to sign him early so he could burn a year off ELC but we get him signed and he can then join Utica and/or the Canucks.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

SKYO wrote:Does anyone know if the team put Boeser on reserve? I think a team has to do that by trade deadline if that want to sign him early so he could burn a year off ELC but we get him signed and he can then join Utica and/or the Canucks.
I think now is not the time to be burning years off the ELC. With a lot of young players in the pipeline, the Canucks need to maximize the cap savings of those contracts.

For next season, the RFAs they still need to sign are need to get Horvat, Gaunce, Gudbranson and Tryamkin.

The following summer, they'll need to extend Baertschi, Granlund, Stecher, and Virtanen, as well as the re-sign or replace the Sedins. If they sign and play Boeser this season, he'll be in that same RFA class.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

ESQ wrote:
SKYO wrote:Does anyone know if the team put Boeser on reserve? I think a team has to do that by trade deadline if that want to sign him early so he could burn a year off ELC but we get him signed and he can then join Utica and/or the Canucks.
I think now is not the time to be burning years off the ELC. With a lot of young players in the pipeline, the Canucks need to maximize the cap savings of those contracts.
You absolutely sign him and burn a year of that ELC. The last thing we want is him pulling a Vesey and walking as a UFA.

The big deal with the youngsters is not the ELC, it's the years of NHL service towards unrestricted free agency.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

If Boesser wants to sign you absolutely sign him. You don't take the chance of pissing him off. Benning would love to have signed him last year but deferred to what Boeser wanted, and fully supported that decision. Benning has more than hinted that there are a couple of college prospects, Canucks picks, that he wants to try and get signed in the summer. Boeser is one of them. I think Gaudette is the other he wants in Utica next year but as RD pointed out, or was it Blob, the Gaudette camp has pretty much said he'll return to college.

He has also suggested that there are a couple of college FA he would like to sign as well.

If you can get Boeser playing with pros next year you do it.
The only HW the Canucks need
gobi
MVP
MVP

Post by gobi »

Hockey Widow wrote:If Boesser wants to sign you absolutely sign him. You don't take the chance of pissing him off. Benning would love to have signed him last year but deferred to what Boeser wanted, and fully supported that decision. Benning has more than hinted that there are a couple of college prospects, Canucks picks, that he wants to try and get signed in the summer. Boeser is one of them. I think Gaudette is the other he wants in Utica next year but as RD pointed out, or was it Blob, the Gaudette camp has pretty much said he'll return to college.

He has also suggested that there are a couple of college FA he would like to sign as well.

Any reason why Gaudette wants to return to college? Do you see him pulling a Vesey?
Iceman2014
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Iceman2014 »

Hockey Widow wrote:If Boesser wants to sign you absolutely sign him. You don't take the chance of pissing him off. Benning would love to have signed him last year but deferred to what Boeser wanted, and fully supported that decision. Benning has more than hinted that there are a couple of college prospects, Canucks picks, that he wants to try and get signed in the summer. Boeser is one of them. I think Gaudette is the other he wants in Utica next year but as RD pointed out, or was it Blob, the Gaudette camp has pretty much said he'll return to college.

When can teams start signing college free agents? It seems there are some legit prospects in the FA group.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Iceman2014 wrote:

When can teams start signing college free agents? It seems there are some legit prospects in the FA group.
I think any time the kid wants to turn pro he can but usually it's as soon as his respective team is done, I think. Or maybe it's right after the frozen four? But it's earlier than the end of the playoffs.

For a drafted player it's like Aug 15th of his senior year.
Iceman2014
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Iceman2014 »

gobi wrote:

Any reason why Gaudette wants to return to college? Do you see him pulling a Vesey?

Linden and Benning support his return to college. Linden mentioned he is still growing and needs to add more muscle/size for the pro ranks. I don't mind this as the competition is decent in college and the development continues.

It sounds like Boeser is Vancouver bound and is slowly recovery from his wrist issues. It seems like he is rounding back to his usual form.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

No, he isn't under contract. But he can sign directly with Utica on an AHL contract and join them if they make the playoffs. But I think hint they may just be happy to let him finish out the year and work on strengthening the wrist.

Re: Gaudette, Benning is all over the place. I've heard him say Gaudette is returning to college and say that they will speak to him at the end of his season to see where he's at. But ya, best bet is he returns to college at least one more year.