2016 Free Agency Frenzy

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

herb
CC Legend

Re: 2016 Free Agency Frenzy

Post by herb »

DonCherry4PM wrote:
RoyalDude wrote:
Island Nucklehead wrote:If Detroit is in shambles, imagine what the rest of the league is thinking of the Vancouver Canucks.

Vancouver might be the most confused team in the NHL.
Hey Everyone! How about this theory. Maybe everything is alright with the Canucks and maybe Island Nucklehad is the one who is "confused"???? Huh? Huh? Huh?
Cause reaching for the playoffs while "retooling" was so successful this year eh? It very well may be the owner's directive rather than JB's own strategy, but sucking while blowing is a pretty tough task to complete. If JB can somehow manage it, the monikers of "genius" and "megamind" will be right. So far, I haven't seen what I feel is compelling evidence of that.
We just drafted 5th OA and signed the second most desirable FA on free agent frenzy day.

Our future franchise centre is entering his third season and our goalie of the future is turning pro.

I've been hard on Jim, but it's July 3rd and our prospect pool is deeper, order forwards are deeper and our defence is deeper. We should be better next year. Credit where credit is due.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Madcombinepilot wrote:
I'll just qualify my statement and say I think, marginally, we are moving in a positive direction, I think. :hmmm:
Is this not arguably, almost, marginally the best fence sitting, non definitive statement ever??
Certifiable statement by Fred.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Madcombinepilot wrote:
I'll just qualify my statement and say I think, marginally, we are moving in a positive direction, I think. :hmmm:
Is this not arguably, almost, marginally the best fence sitting, non definitive statement ever??
Yup. That's the point. I don't know yet.
I will say for sure we are in a better position than one year ago. :thumbs:
"evolution"
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Topper wrote:
Madcombinepilot wrote:
Certifiable statement by Fred.
Barney! I thought you understood sarcasm? Oh well.

You might have time for more than one liners,
with a little less time on the WWE forums, eh. :lol: :lol:
"evolution"
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

If they get anywhere near the chemistry they've had on the national team, this could become a fun season to watch! :D
They'll probably form a line at the World Cup as well.
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Some footage from the 2013 world championships:

Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

I'll post the game vs Canada as well, albeit you don't see a lot of twin/Eriksson interaction in it. Nevertheless, both Swedish goals come on the power play, with the Sedins cycling the puck, Eriksson blocking Smith's view and Danielsson shooting from the blue line.

The first goal is credited Danielsson assisted by H Sedin and D Sedin.
The second is awarded Eriksson with assists by Danielsson and D Sedin.

Last edited by Per on Mon Jul 04, 2016 7:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
kelowna kanuck
CC Veteran

Post by kelowna kanuck »

I have enjoyed reading some great discussion in the past little while. I gotta tell you , probably the most unsettling post recently, was by HW and the fractured nature of the organization.
I would be interested as to what the reasoning is. We all know about Aquameddling, but something doesn't sit right to make be believe that is all it is.
The reason this concerns me is that if we know, many organizations, players etc.. also know.
more cap space!
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Topper wrote:Image
"The Huey, Dewey, and Louie line"—Finland (1994–1995)—Ville Peltonen, Saku Koivu, Jere Lehtinen."
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of ... _nicknames

I think they have all retired. :look:
DonCherry4PM
MVP
MVP

Post by DonCherry4PM »

Cornuck wrote:How many people here honestly expected last year's edition to make the playoffs? It would have required a huge set of circumstances to happen - but Canuck luck being what it is, that wasn't going to happen. I think some expected a bottom 5 finish, but most seemed content with a top 10 pick.

I would tend to agree, but I think a pertinent question is who thinks we would be in a better position than we are now if we had made the playoffs? Would anyone debate that having OJ is better than having some prospect at the 15th pick? Would getting bounced in 4 games in the first round benefit us more than the difference in likelihood of success between OJ and the 15th pick (likely Chychrun for the sake of debate)? As with any two picks, the difference could turn out to be a wash, but right now, I am quite happy with having OJ over Chychrun and I think the potential that we have a top pairing guy in OJ is much higher than if we had Chychrun. To me, that difference is worth more than showing for 4 games in the playoffs. But as you say below, it seems the owners are of a different view. And that seems pretty fair given it is their money paying for salaries and expenses rather than mine.
Cornuck wrote:The signs are clear that Benning has been tasked with retooling 'on the fly' and has a mandate to try to make the playoffs. Not an easy job for any GM in any sport.
Agreed. This definitely appears to be the case and I do not envy JB's position. I guess I am just disappointed that, given his admitted deftness at drafting talented youth, we don't get to see him use that strong skill-set on more and higher picks. Hopefully he will show us just how deft he is in getting winners from the picks we did have.
Cornuck wrote:Benning has us pointed in the right direction and other than the constant complaints of "Shitty Contracts" and "No first line prospects" - the team looks ok for a rebuild on the fly. As for "Shitty Contracts" and "No first line prospects" - we're hardly the only team facing those problems.
To be fair, there is a chance that one or more of Bo, Jake and Brock may turn into a first line prospect. I'd just like to have more prospects with that potential (as would everyone), and I tend to think that our current strategy is not the most effective at getting more of said prospects.

All of this said, I hope that Eriksonn turns our to be a killer triplet, Gudbranson proves to be a 2-3 d-man and all of our young players take a giant leap this year and we find success in ownership's directed strategy. We don't really have any other options.....
Invincibility lies in oneself.
Vincibility lies in the enemy.

- Sun Tzu
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

DonCherry4PM wrote:
Cornuck wrote:Benning has us pointed in the right direction and other than the constant complaints of "Shitty Contracts" and "No first line prospects" - the team looks ok for a rebuild on the fly. As for "Shitty Contracts" and "No first line prospects" - we're hardly the only team facing those problems.
To be fair, there is a chance that one or more of Bo, Jake and Brock may turn into a first line prospect. I'd just like to have more prospects with that potential (as would everyone), and I tend to think that our current strategy is not the most effective at getting more of said prospects.

All of this said, I hope that Eriksonn turns our to be a killer triplet, Gudbranson proves to be a 2-3 d-man and all of our young players take a giant leap this year and we find success in ownership's directed strategy. We don't really have any other options.....
good convo^

All I gotta add is this team ain't going no where unless we get 2nd line scorer preferred LW, and that will have to happen via trade now.

Maybe management wanted to get Jarvis signed first to make a deal as the UFA's get signed slowly and teams get a feel for their RFA contracts in addition to adjusting to prepare for the 2017 expansion draft, see how all that shakes out before a deal can be made. Ideally this can be done within the next couple weeks as teams usually shut down so to speak for a bit in August typically, as GM's and management go on short mini vacations.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

DonCherry4PM wrote:To be fair, there is a chance that one or more of Bo, Jake and Brock may turn into a first line prospect. I'd just like to have more prospects with that potential (as would everyone), and I tend to think that our current strategy is not the most effective at getting more of said prospects.
To be fair, Boeser was picked 23rd. We finished second in the division that year. You can select prospects with first line potential while making the playoffs.

We acquired Bo with a pick we traded for in a year we won the division.

Hutton was a late round pick.

Demko was a second rounder.

There are many ways to skin this cat.

Our problem has been too many flops like Nicklas Jensen and not enough wins like second round pick Brandon Saad. We basically struck out from 2006 to 2012. There's like an 0 for 31 streak in there that has just killed us. Forget high end talent, we couldn't even draft a fourth line energy guy or a backup goalie.

Prior to Hutton, our last pick to have a NHL career was Grabner, who we grabbed in 2006. Yikes.

That's our problem. One first overall pick isn't going to save the franchise. Anyway, with Canuck luck, we'd manage to grab the first overall pick in a year when Alexandre Daigle II is the consensus #1 overall guy.
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

herb wrote:
DonCherry4PM wrote:To be fair, there is a chance that one or more of Bo, Jake and Brock may turn into a first line prospect. I'd just like to have more prospects with that potential (as would everyone), and I tend to think that our current strategy is not the most effective at getting more of said prospects.
To be fair, Boeser was picked 23rd. We finished second in the division that year. You can select prospects with first line potential while making the playoffs.

We acquired Bo with a pick we traded for in a year we won the division.

Hutton was a late round pick.

Demko was a second rounder.

There are many ways to skin this cat.

Our problem has been too many flops like Nicklas Jensen and not enough wins like second round pick Brandon Saad. We basically struck out from 2006 to 2012. There's like an 0 for 31 streak in there that has just killed us. Forget high end talent, we couldn't even draft a fourth line energy guy or a backup goalie.

Prior to Hutton, our last pick to have a NHL career was Grabner, who we grabbed in 2006. Yikes.

That's our problem. One first overall pick isn't going to save the franchise. Anyway, with Canuck luck, we'd manage to grab the first overall pick in a year when Alexandre Daigle II is the consensus #1 overall guy.
Like Hodgson (2008) or not, he did manage to play 328 NHL games. Schroeder (2009) and Connauton (2009) have played more than 100 NHL games. Corrado (2011) could still have a career as a depth defenseman.

Hopefully, Rodin (2009) and Grenier (2011) can still turn into NHL regulars as Canucks. :mrgreen:
Last edited by Jovocop on Mon Jul 04, 2016 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

Indeed.