2016 Free Agency Frenzy

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Re: 2016 Free Agency Frenzy

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Hockey Widow wrote:
A lot of coin for Demers
Ya think?

Have at 'er Florida. Godspeed
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

RoyalDude wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote:
Chiarelli decided to trade Hall for Larssen rather than sign Demers. .
Is that a fact regarding Demers? Straight from the horses mouth, publicly, or just assumed?

I guess Florida was lucky that the Oilers traded 1st overall pick - Hall for a meh 2nd pairing defenceman in Larrson. I wouldn't call it calculated, more like Demers dropped into their lap long after Gudbranson was traded

No, just an assumption on my part. Perhaps they didn't like his demands. perhaps he wasn't as taken in by the new rink and McJesus. I only know they courted him but don't know why he chose Florida, if the Oilers chose a different direction.

Florida has done a good job moving on from Campbell and Gudbranson but I'd rather have Gudbranson than Demers.

Maybe Chiarelli's first plan was to keep Hall and sign Demers but he found out Demers wasn't coming so he pulled the trigger. I dunno Dude.
The only HW the Canucks need
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Looks like Bruins gonna sign, poor analytics, Russell it appears.
-Joe Haggerty

I'm hearing Bruins are in on D Kris Russell. Perfect candidate for B's to massively overpay.
Word is he turned down 4 yrs, $17M+ w/leaves
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

You start studying other teams, and most teams are in the same boat, trying to improve, some teams just don't give a fuck, some are in disarray.

Holland looking human after Lidstrom left.

Extended Abdelkader too long of contract.

Overpaid/extended 29yr old Helm almost $4M per for the 3rd/4th liner.

Nielsen I don't mind, but signed Vanek & Ott - cheap but still, Zetterberg is same age as Sedins.

Riley Sheahan is their Horvat, Larkin is dope, they got their good wingers in Nyquist and Tatar, Mantha.

But seems like a team in shambles with not being shambles, just another team that doesn't seem to know what to do after they could do no wrong with Lidstrom, just a team ok enough to make playoffs, but that's it.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

If Detroit is in shambles, imagine what the rest of the league is thinking of the Vancouver Canucks.

Vancouver might be the most confused team in the NHL.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Island Nucklehead wrote:If Detroit is in shambles, imagine what the rest of the league is thinking of the Vancouver Canucks.

Hey Everyone! How about this theory. Maybe everything is alright with the Canucks and maybe Island Nucklehad is the one who is "confused"???? Huh? Huh? Huh?
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

RoyalDude wrote: Hey Everyone! How about this theory. Maybe everything is alright with the Canucks and maybe Island Nucklehad is the one who is "confused"???? Huh? Huh? Huh?

Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

ukcanuck wrote:
Blob Mckenzie wrote:
ukcanuck wrote:
RoyalDude wrote:
Strangelove wrote:Martin, Weise, Dorsett… similar players singed to similar deals?
Weise - 4 year - 2.35 million per
Martin - 4 year - 2.5 million per
Dorsett - 4 year - 2.65 million per
So not such a shitty contract for Dorsett ....BLOB....
All three of them are poor contracts , but Weise is the best player of the three scrubs, and Dorsett is the shittiest of the three.
Jesus your socks are too tight

Dorsett brings something different to the table
Lol what is so different that Dorsett brings to the table? Martin is bigger and tougher and when he hits people they actually feel it. Weise is a third line player while the other two are fourth line "energy" players. As I said I wouldnt have any of the three of them at those contracts in a 70 million cap system. All overpaid and all mediocre at what they do.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
TDA Rum
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by TDA Rum »

RoyalDude wrote:
Island Nucklehead wrote:If Detroit is in shambles, imagine what the rest of the league is thinking of the Vancouver Canucks.

Hey Everyone! How about this theory. Maybe everything is alright with the Canucks and maybe Island Nucklehad is the one who is "confused"???? Huh? Huh? Huh?
Have to agree with the Dude on this one...
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

TDA Rum wrote:
RoyalDude wrote:

Have to agree with the Dude on this one...
IN is a good troll in a sneaky underhanded way, has some good hockey knowledge and is a prick if you make a error, he doesn't like the Benning regime and questions every move, but like all good posters backs up his shit sometimes, he does like some moves but rarely, granted he's a stubborn ol' mule and won't back down on the management until the teams starts winning, even then you get a feeling his hatred will resonate
foreva eva foreva eva.

But yo playboi's, my post above^^^ where IN was bashing the Canucks again, my point was if you start to study other teams and their prerogatives, it's interesting to see the same squabbles and inner fighting among the fans, & their hatred to their GM's.

Even teams that just won a Cup recently, the hate continues lol.

Every team is in the same boat, some doing better than others, but at least now you have to admit the team is on a better path with sound drafting and development, even quickened the development process with acquiring players in their early 20's, it's an extremely hard predicament when you have the Sedins here, so JB is walking the tight rope with staying relevant and getting younger.
DonCherry4PM
MVP
MVP

Post by DonCherry4PM »

RoyalDude wrote:

Cause reaching for the playoffs while "retooling" was so successful this year eh? It very well may be the owner's directive rather than JB's own strategy, but sucking while blowing is a pretty tough task to complete. If JB can somehow manage it, the monikers of "genius" and "megamind" will be right. So far, I haven't seen what I feel is compelling evidence of that.
Invincibility lies in oneself.
Vincibility lies in the enemy.

- Sun Tzu
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

DonCherry4PM wrote:Cause reaching for the playoffs while "retooling" was so successful this year eh?
How many people here honestly expected last year's edition to make the playoffs? It would have required a huge set of circumstances to happen - but Canuck luck being what it is, that wasn't going to happen. I think some expected a bottom 5 finish, but most seemed content with a top 10 pick.

The signs are clear that Benning has been tasked with retooling 'on the fly' and has a mandate to try to make the playoffs. Not an easy job for any GM in any sport.

Toronto obviously said, "Fuck it - let's tank, since we'll sell out each game anyway" - but that wasn't going to happen here and the guy who writes the cheques wants playoff revenue. The fickle fans want a competitive team. The players want to win.

Benning has us pointed in the right direction and other than the constant complaints of "Shitty Contracts" and "No first line prospects" - the team looks ok for a rebuild on the fly. As for "Shitty Contracts" and "No first line prospects" - we're hardly the only team facing those problems.
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

RoyalDude wrote:

AGREED.
____
Try to focus on someday.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

SKYO points out that some other teams have difficult situations to deal with too and that some are not only shittier but more of a mess in general than we, but.

There is no template for what we have to deal with because it simply has never happened before.
Your best and most productive players for years are identical twins with pretty much identical everything!

It was always going to be, the better it turned out, the harder it would be when it started coming to a close.

I actually thought it would be worse than it is.

I'll just qualify my statement and say I think, marginally, we are moving in a positive direction, I think. :hmmm:
"evolution"
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

I'll just qualify my statement and say I think, marginally, we are moving in a positive direction, I think. :hmmm:
Is this not arguably, almost, marginally the best fence sitting, non definitive statement ever??
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.