2016 Free Agent Hunt

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Re: 2016 Free Agent Hunt

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

RoyalDude wrote:The Aqualinis are the problem. Meddling spoiled rich kids out of touch with the fan base. Won't be long til they ass can Benning. First Nonis, then Gillis, clock is on for Benning. Nevermind players not wanting to come here, not many GMs would want to come here either. Aquas need to sell.
Your best post in years.

I agree the Dagos need to sell the team. This team will go nowhere with them at the top.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

RoyalDude wrote:The Aqualinis are the problem. Meddling spoiled rich kids out of touch with the fan base. Won't be long til they ass can Benning. First Nonis, then Gillis, clock is on for Benning. Nevermind players not wanting to come here, not many GMs would want to come here either. Aquas need to sell.
I don't get much video coverage over here but did I see the back of an Aqualini head at the Canucks draft table?

If it was is that normal? Don't owners sit together in a glass tower somewhere plotting to ruin peoples lives and overthrow governments on a whim?

If my boss looked over my shoulder like that I think I would fuck up subconsciously on purpose
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

ukcanuck wrote:I don't get much video coverage over here but did I see the back of an Aqualini head at the Canucks draft table?

If it was is that normal? Don't owners sit together in a glass tower somewhere plotting to ruin peoples lives and overthrow governments on a whim?

If my boss looked over my shoulder like that I think I would fuck up subconsciously on purpose
I don't think it's that unusual. Daryl Katz and his goofy looking kid always seem to be at the draft.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

herb wrote:
ukcanuck wrote:I don't get much video coverage over here but did I see the back of an Aqualini head at the Canucks draft table?

I don't think it's that unusual. Daryl Katz and his goofy looking kid always seem to be at the draft.
Well, Katz is a bit of a pushover. The MGMT team there own him as it seems, GMs don't get fired in Edmonton and as we know from the last decade - a rebuild is accepted there. The rebuild pain is also eased by the fact win or lose, they sell out in Edmonton. Our fans simply disappear in hard times which is probably the main reason why the Aquas can't put up with a rebuild, but in reality, the Aquas got it ass backwards, you have a promising future the fans will endure a losing team but not a losing team with a not so exciting future
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Mëds wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote:
Mëds wrote:
I don't expect Gudbranson to sign an extension here either. Vancouver is a more desirable city to live in than any other in Canada, but the future of this team is bleak, and as an UFA he will probably get at least as good of an offer as Benning will make him.
Isn't he RFA?
Yes, you're right, my bad.

Doesn't change the fact that if he has a good season here that he might play hardball on the contract just to force a trade. A mid-20's top-4 RHS D is a hot commodity and would have no problem getting his desired contract on the open market, and if that's just one year away he might chance signing a one year deal for the sake of his own freedom.
Good Lord!! :lol:

I think you need some Mëds Mëds.
____
Try to focus on someday.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

RoyalDude wrote: Our fans simply disappear in hard times which is probably the main reason why the Aquas can't put up with a rebuild, but in reality, the Aquas got it ass backwards, you have a promising future the fans will endure a losing team but not a losing team with a not so exciting future
It's the difference between the oilers and canucks, their fan base has nothing else to do in deadmonton, so they attend games non-stop.

But in Vancouver the paying fans, as in not the majority of the online fans who complain a lot, will not attend roger arena for a losing team.

And isn't that way it should be? Your team does shitty, the fans stop attending, it forces your owner/management team to try to be competitive.

In any case when your team has the Sedins who are still one of the top 20 players in the league when healthy, it's difficult if not impossible to 100% rebuild, so Benning came in at a really tough spot, respectively he's doing what he can with what he's been dealt with, remarkably he's somehow got a lot of young pieces to add to the team which is a considerable achievement - and that's his best course of action moving forward - is to target young quality players to keep adding to the squad and to pounce on any future Sedins replacement when they just might happen to be avail, as we are not gonna be a bottom dweller if everyone is healthy, plus the young guns have another year of development under their belts.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

I'm guessing Boedker
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Mr.Miyagi
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Mr.Miyagi »

Topper wrote:I'm guessing Boedker
Yep. Me too.

Ideally, any 2 out of 4 between Okposo, Martin, Boedker and Helm for me.

My guess is Martin and Boedker are JB's big signings.
In Okinawa, all Miyagi know two things: hockey and karate.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Boedker; Shows poor attendance and generally a lousy plus/minus.

Another project. Do better!
"evolution"
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

With Lucic out of the picture, I still see Benning taking a big run at somebody else he feels can play in the top 6 with the long-term uncertainty of the twins.
DonCherry4PM
MVP
MVP

Post by DonCherry4PM »

I wouldn't mind one of Boedker or Okposo for the right price and term, but I would think that getting other players of the more bottom six profile would just be taking spots from young developing players.
Invincibility lies in oneself.
Vincibility lies in the enemy.

- Sun Tzu
rikster
MVP
MVP

Post by rikster »

In addition to Matt Martin, I'd like to see the team give Brett Connolly a shot at making the club...

Leave the others to duke it out over top 2 line players and focus on the bottom 2 lines...

Take care...
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

I would target Devante Smith-Pelly, Jamie Mcginn, maybe Jon Merrill. Brouwer at perhaps 4 years and 4.25.

Boedker has put up underwhelming numbers for getting top line minutes and getting 3 or 4 min of pp time every game. He is allergic to contact as well. No thanks.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
bckev
CC Veteran

Post by bckev »

I would devante smith-pelly, brett connolly or loui erikkson. I will be fine with just some second level guys, I like the idea of having a lot of cap room for this season I suspect there might be some very good players available cheap as the season goes on.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

bckev wrote:I would devante smith-pelly, brett connolly or loui erikkson. I will be fine with just some second level guys, I like the idea of having a lot of cap room for this season I suspect there might be some very good players available cheap as the season goes on.

And if we are outside the playoff picture at TDD we can take a contract or two, with some picks, the help cap strapped teams free up cap.
The only HW the Canucks need