2016 Draft Summary

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

How do you rate this year's draft?

A+
11%
A
8%
B
36%
C+
28%
C
8%
D
8%
F
No votes

Total votes: 36

nuckster
MVP
MVP

Re: 2016 Draft Summary

Post by nuckster »

I dunno, a team has to score dem dere goals to win da games and if im not mistaken we were last or near last on offence last year. So tell me again what the canucks greatest need is?
cc oldtimer
bckev
CC Veteran

Post by bckev »

Good offense starts from a strong defense. Last year we had problems getting the puck out of our end,this was a big part of our problems scoring. Once out of our end we have to transition through the neutral zone. Again, not an area we excelled at. Then we have to transition into the offensive zone and have puck control. Didn't do so well with that either. Our offense from our defense was terrible last year. I am guessing we will see an improvement this year. If we are able to land a solid winger or two through free agency that will help a lot as well.
dangler
MVP
MVP

Post by dangler »

nuckster wrote:I dunno, a team has to score dem dere goals to win da games and if im not mistaken we were last or near last on offence last year. So tell me again what the canucks greatest need is?
Gotta get it out of your own end to have a chance at scoring dem dere goals
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

bckev wrote:Good offense starts from a strong defense. Last year we had problems getting the puck out of our end,this was a big part of our problems scoring. Once out of our end we have to transition through the neutral zone. Again, not an area we excelled at. Then we have to transition into the offensive zone and have puck control. Didn't do so well with that either. Our offense from our defense was terrible last year. I am guessing we will see an improvement this year. If we are able to land a solid winger or two through free agency that will help a lot as well.
dangler wrote: Gotta get it out of your own end to have a chance at scoring dem dere goals
Ding ding ding
Mr.Miyagi
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Mr.Miyagi »

I gave it a C+, because there wasn't a "meh" selection.

Olli J was the right pick at that time. We have essentially zero D prospects in the system after Tryamkin. Had Dubois or Jesse P been available then we would have a forward. A good one. Classic Canuck luck struck again and we still got a good player at #5.

After OJ, I couldn't tell you a single thing about any of the players so I put my faith in Benning and co.
In Okinawa, all Miyagi know two things: hockey and karate.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Mr.Miyagi wrote:I gave it a C+, because there wasn't a "meh" selection.

Olli J was the right pick at that time. We have essentially zero D prospects in the system after Tryamkin. Had Dubois or Jesse P been available then we would have a forward. A good one. Classic Canuck luck struck again and we still got a good player at #5.

After OJ, I couldn't tell you a single thing about any of the players so I put my faith in Benning and co.
Yeah, tough to have a great day at the draft when you only make 2 picks in the first 4 rounds. The Juolevi pick is fine, the rest is fairly meh, but that's to be expected when most of our picks came well after the first 100 players.

One thing, for the three overage guys we drafted (Stukel, Abols and McKenzie), would they not be available as free agents right now? Not a big deal, going to be real tough for any of them to crack the NHL, but if we're going to take a flier on some players you think you'd target the younger ones in case they figure it out later. I guess this is one way of stocking the farm with cheap contracts immediately.
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

Aaronp18 wrote:
bckev wrote:Good offense starts from a strong defense. Last year we had problems getting the puck out of our end,this was a big part of our problems scoring. Once out of our end we have to transition through the neutral zone. Again, not an area we excelled at. Then we have to transition into the offensive zone and have puck control. Didn't do so well with that either. Our offense from our defense was terrible last year. I am guessing we will see an improvement this year. If we are able to land a solid winger or two through free agency that will help a lot as well.
dangler wrote: Gotta get it out of your own end to have a chance at scoring dem dere goals
Ding ding ding
Sure hope they are good at it since the team won't have much of a 1st line to keep the puck in other teams zone.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

What do you mean Reef ? Spidey said the team was "stacked with top prospects".
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:What do you mean Reef ? Spidey said the team was "stacked with top prospects".
Maybe Zuckenov will be our Russian sleeper.
The only HW the Canucks need
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

Reefer2 wrote: Sure hope they are good at it since the team won't have much of a 1st line to keep the puck in other teams zone.
Here's a thought, instead of flying off the handle micromanaging each move and pick Benning makes why don't we wait and see what happens in the next few years?

If he's proven anything in his short tenure thus far is that he is an astute judge of young talent. His picks so far are looking really positive and I trust his judgement that Olli was the BPA. Conveniently, he fills a much needed hole in our lineup!

Let's recall how desperate some were to find replacements for the West Coast Express. So many doubted the Sedins and their ability to be first line players! They made themselves elite NHL players with their hard work and determination. The skill was always there. We have young players with the skill, now it's up to the Canucks to get the best out of them and those players to want to be the best they can.

This is where having players like the Sedins will pay dividends with the new crop of talent!

Trust it Reef. From the peak of the West Coast Express era it took a good 8 years to rebuild and get back to being one of the best in the league. Let's wait till 2018/19 before we bring out the pitchforks.
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

I get it Aaron - but with the deal for Gud defence was not the are of concern for this team.

The Sedin's could retire after 2 seasons and who will replace their points?

Yes we all know players need to develop, Sedin's took a couple years same as Kesler, so maybe it will be Virtanen, Horvat who knows. But there are very few A grade forward prospects on this team who are capable of getting 70 points. I thought Tkachuck gave us a shot at getting that type of player.

Benning needs to quit trading forward prospects and draft picks.
lostinarink
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by lostinarink »

Reefer2 wrote:Wow - cant believe how many people gave him a B.

I guess we as Nucks fans really don't expect much do we?
I gave them a B but after reading your comment, I realized that I was wrong with the grade. Any draft where you come away with a future top 3 forward or top 2 D is undeniably at least a solid A. :lol:

JB scored a top 2 D and a few dreams. The dreams don't count for much more than a prime filet of Alaska salmon - at least right now. Some of JB previous dreams are starting to look more like Snap Lake carats in the rough, so I will be patient and see what the future brings. But bottom line is he scored a top 2 D, and for that it is 2 :thumbs:
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Topper wrote:A+ addressed the biggest need with the best in the draft at that position.
Agreed. :mex:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Diehard1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Diehard1 »

It's a solid B for me. Juolevi is a good pick, very much needed. Yes I would rather have had PLD but that wasn't possible. Juolevi is the best dman in the draft and I don't think the team has ever drafted the best dman in the draft before.

The rest of the draft? Who knows. Lockwood is an unknown to me. Candella looks like a solid pick who could surprise given he was injured last year. The late round guys are shots in the dark - would have much rather gone for the high risk, high reward guys in Sokolov and Ronning, but they went overagers instead. Not a big fan of that strategy.

Juolevi should be a top dman in the league for 10-15 years. That fact alone makes this a solid draft, but the fact that the Oilers and Flames had better drafts than us means we are no further ahead today than we were before the draft, and perhaps we are further behind.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

^ Flames?? :?

How so?
____
Try to focus on someday.