2016 Draft Summary

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

How do you rate this year's draft?

A+
11%
A
8%
B
36%
C+
28%
C
8%
D
8%
F
No votes

Total votes: 36

Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

2016 Draft Summary

Post by Cornuck »

RD 1 - Pick #5 - OLLI JUOLEVI - D - FIN - 6' 2" - 188 - OHL
Juolevi is often mentioned as one of the top three defenders eligible for the draft this season, and for good reason. There are a handful of defense-needy teams in the lottery that would do well to take a high floor, high ceiling prospect such as Juolevi to shore up their defensive woes. While it’s unlikely Juolevi ends up as a top five draft selection, Juolevi is all but a lock to be off the board by the time the top 14 selections come and go.
RD 3 - Pick #64 - WILLIAM LOCKWOOD - RW - USA - 5' 11" - 171 - USHL
The extreme ceiling for Lockwood would be a player like Carl Hagelin--another smallish forward that went to he University of Michigan and was a late round pick because he could skate, but didn't do much else--though obviously that's a best case scenario. Lockwood could also potentially play a bottom six role at the NHL if he gets stronger and smarter as a two-way player because of his skating ability.
RD 5 - Pick #140 - COLE CANDELLA - D - CAN - 6' 1" - 189 - OHL
At only 18, Candella still has a lot of time to develop his skills further. However, the 6’1” defenceman has the all-around skill and physicality to be a solid shutdown blueliner. While he’s not one of the top defensemen in the draft, Candella should have his name tossed around early in the fourth round.
RD 6 - Pick #154 - JAKOB STUKEL - LW - CAN - 5' 11" - 182 - WHL
For all his offensive bluster, Stukel isn’t a complete player. He occasionally gets out-muscled in corner battles, his play away from the puck is prone to lapses, and his game-to-game consistency isn’t great. (Sometimes he’ll score multiple points in consecutive games, sometimes he’ll go stone cold for several games.)
But very few players in the WHL are as dangerous with the puck as Stukel, and that should be enough to get him drafted by some NHL club.
RD 7 - Pick #184 - RODRIGO ABOLS - C - LVA - 6' 4" - 188 - WHL
A gritty, hard-working forward with a large frame. An agile skater for his size and is starting to work explosiveness into his game. Smart with and without the puck, and exhibits strength at both ends of the ice. Not the most physical player, but that side of his game will come naturally as he develops more bullish instincts. Loves to battle and works hard to win puck possession on open ice, along the boards, and in the corners. All-in-all, a sizeable forward that has the raw tools it takes to become an effective producer as he elevates his game.

RD 7 - Pick #194 - BRETT MCKENZIE - C - CAN - 6' 1" - 190 - OHL
McKenzie can be described as a smart defensive forward who skates well and is excellent on the draw. He is not overly physical, but is overall awareness in all 3 zones is coveted.
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Re: 2016 Draft Summary

Post by Hockey Widow »

Abols was an invite to prospects camp last year and had a very strong camp. He went un drafted that year and the Canucks contemplated picking him but instead went with MacKenzie Stewart. They invited Abols to get a better look at him. I remember commenting last year that he could have been one that got away. I was really impressed with what I saw from him. Fast, smooth skater, good puck distributor, solid two way play but little physicality.

My name is Hockey Widow and I approve of this pick!

I ranked the draft as a C+ but am prepared to be wrong.
The only HW the Canucks need
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

Agree HW - C to C+
Lancer
CC Legend

Post by Lancer »

Benning added blueline prospects, but none of the forwards picked scream even a long-shot of contributing to the 'Sedin Succession Plan'. As well, the blueline prospects may in time contribute in the top 4, but Benning didn't address the need for that 'Stud #1 defenceman' he said contenders need.

Too bad Benning couldn't get/keep his higher picks.

The search for contending pieces through the draft goes on.... :|
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

D for me.

My #1 concern is replacing the Sedins. We just traded a potential top 6 forward (McCann) for a young T4D not yet in his prime. Tanev and Hutton are young. Edler is not an old man. That's our top 4 for the next 4 or 5 years. I don't see the real urgency on defense.

I would have loved to draft a young Aaron Ekblad or Seth Jones with our first pick. Did we get that? I don't think so.

With our highest draft pick in nearly 20 years, I expected more. This feels like a safe pick.
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

herb wrote:D for me.

My #1 concern is replacing the Sedins. We just traded a potential top 6 forward (McCann) for a young T4D not yet in his prime. Tanev and Hutton are young. Edler is not an old man. That's our top 4 for the next 4 or 5 years. I don't see the real urgency on defense.

I would have loved to draft a young Aaron Ekblad or Seth Jones with our first pick. Did we get that? I don't think so.

With our highest draft pick in nearly 20 years, I expected more. This feels like a safe pick.
Hopefully not Nathan Smith safe.
"Once a King, always a King" -Mike Murphy
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

I'll give this a C+ (mostly because I have a life time of low expectations at the draft)

We came away with one sure-fire NHL player. With only one pick in the first two rounds - that's to be expected.

Up to this point, I think we can be somewhat secure in our goaltender and D. Any forwards drafted today might fill some bottom six holes in the next couple of years.

A second line of Horvat, Boeser and Virtenen would be strong. Any of those guys 'could' develop into true first line players.

So what's left to the rebuild? A first line. that's pretty much it - and would Tkachuk have become 1/3 of that line? Very likely - but we'll just have to be patient now (yeah, that works well).

I have no idea if Benning is planning to get a high end FA to start rebuilding the 1st line, but it seems a little early for this part of the rebuild. I'm happy with watching the kids progress for another year and get another top 10 pick.

My dark horse selection from this draft is Stukel - maybe he'll start putting his shit together and start getting more consistent.
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

ClamRussel wrote: Hopefully not Nathan Smith safe.
He'll be better than the other classic Canucks former 1st round picks:

#4 Jim Sandlak, #7 Dan Woodley, #6 Jason Herter, #7 Alex Stojanov, #12 Josh Holden, #25 Patrick White, #23 Nathan Smith, #21 Libor Polasek, #20 Mike Wilson, #10 Brad Ference, #4 Bryan Allen!

It's almost as if the Canucks had drunks picking year after year, sobering up once every decade for some decent picks, then Burkie pulling off a masterpiece in 1999, things finally started to change when Gilman put some order reshuffling of the scouts, then finally Benning the scouter mind comes to the helm and now we have promise in almost every pick from 1st thru to 7th round.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Lancer
CC Legend

Post by Lancer »

Cornuck wrote:My dark horse selection from this draft is Stukel - maybe he'll start putting his shit together and start getting more consistent.
My dark horse is Lockwood.

Speedy and tenacious on the forecheck and has some hands

but...

Questionable hockey IQ and playmaking ability and is undersized

We'll see in a couple of years, I guess.
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

I'm gonna go B. Even though I think there is more need at finding the replacement(s) for the Sedins due to their age, Juolevi is still a very good snag and fills a serious need. Don't mind losing the 33rd pick for Gudbranson, we needed someone like him on D, not to mention he is only 24, McCann is and was a headcase who is Mason Raymond light.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Iceman2014
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Iceman2014 »

Decent and unspectacular draft for the Canucks. Olli fills a need so I don't mind the pick. I thought for sure Dubois would be there but nope!

Canucks needs are obvious: our future top line. Boeser and Virtanen are candidates. Maybe Sven. Who knows. I don't think there was a Henrik replacement at pick 5. So, fill the other need and get a high end D man.

I think our D corp will be good for a while. I like what the Canucks are doing but we're still missing that future #1 impact centre. Unfortunately, that's a tough find. This is why it makes sense to chase down Stamkos. Anyone we draft from here on out will take over 2 years to develop and that's the Sedin window.

I'm not sure they can deal for a centre because we don't have an abundance of high end assets; we seem to have a glut of middle 6 prospects and some line 1 types.

Benning may have avoided this problem by moving assets for picks and players when he had the chance. He shat the bed with Vrbata (summer after his first season), Hamhuis (trade deadline), Hansen (still with us) and maybe even Edler who could land you some high end prospects.
dangler
MVP
MVP

Post by dangler »

The Lockwood pick is a little perplexing as he was rated quite a bit lower,but i will give Bennings draft genius the benefit of the doubt.
I can see the rebuild is going to take longer than i hoped,luckily the Sedins are still in incredible shape!
I wouldn't be surprised if he signs Lucic or Erikson.
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

Wow - cant believe how many people gave him a B.

I guess we as Nucks fans really don't expect much do we?
Groovypippin
CC Veteran

Post by Groovypippin »

Why bother with a grade? It's meaningless. The poll question should have been, "How closely do Benning's picks align with my own uninformed opinions?".

Even these professional scouts and hockey people bat, on average, 30% in terms of picking players who see even 50 games of NHL action. For all I know Joulevi could be the 2nd come of Nik Lidstrom or a very pedestrian NHL regular. Chances are he is somewhere in between. In 2-3 years we could be ecstatic about our 5th overall pick or disappointed. But no one knows today. We could have found a late round gem or all of them may wash out at the junior, ECHL and AHL level.

So although it isn't exciting to say, we'll see.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

A+ addressed the biggest need with the best in the draft at that position.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.