Canucks select RODRIGO ABOLS #184 - 7th round

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Canucks select RODRIGO ABOLS #184 - 7th round

Post by Cornuck »

6'5 - 185 - Latvian - Center

Anytime a team can grab a young Eastern European player that has had experience in the Kontinental Hockey League, there is a legitimate possibility that he holds NHL capabilities. In Rodrigo Abols the Canucks are seeking Latvian name, one similar to the undrafted energy forward Ronalds Kenins, who signed a one-year, one-way deal for the upcoming season.

Abols (6-foot-3, 179 lbs), who was undrafted before his invitation to the Canucks Young Stars tournament, only suited up for 14 games with Dinamo Riga (KHL) in 2015-16 but he found himself with 38 points in just 35 games playing for their farm team HK Riga. He signed a contract with the Portland Winterhawks of the Western Hockey League for the 2015-16 season as he is too young to play in the AHL or ECHL at 19 years old.

Nobody should be purchasing an Abols kit for their Canucks jersey just yet but if he can use 2015-16 as a transition year he could realistically don Utica Comets colors in 2016-17 and work his way into a bottom six role with the Canucks in the future, so long as he can continue to add muscle to his 6-foot-3 frame.

http://thehockeywriters.com/most-intrig ... rs-roster/

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=154962
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Lancer
CC Legend

Re: Canucks select RODRIGO ABOLS #184 - 7th round

Post by Lancer »

Latvians can be a bit of a mixed bag due to the population size, but having a KHL team there helps. We'll see what comes of him.
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

I love how he is somewhere between 6'3" and 6'5" depending what line you read :-)
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Madcombinepilot wrote:I love how he is somewhere between 6'3" and 6'5" depending what line you read :-)
The kid is growing that fast! :)
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

To me he stood out at prospects camp. Hopefully we see him in Utica next year and he gets to work on his pro game. Although he does have second line potential he is more likely to slide in as a third liner. I remember his speed and dangle with the puck. I'm glad they snagged him but the fact he went up drafted last year and was a late rounder this year says he has red flags.

Benning with with his over age players in those last few picks.

And who knows, he could be 7'3 by the time he gets to camp.
The only HW the Canucks need