Canuck select Olli Juolevi - #5 pick

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Re: Canuck select Olli Juolevi - #5 pick

Post by Strangelove »

Coldsteel79 wrote:
Cherry Picker wrote:
In my mind the top five are set, so there is only one spot open in the starting six. They shouldn't keep any young player up as the 7th or 8th dman to sit on the bench. Biega, Sbisa and Pedan likely fight over bench warming duty. Subban, Stecher and even Juolevi have a small chance to steal the sixth spot from Larsen, but they would need to play out of their mind amazing to get it. Just not likely to happen, but never say never.
I really hope Jim is able to sneak pedan through waivers for a full season in the ahl. I got the feeling this is gonna be another corrado situation, except that I think pedan has a good shot at being a bottom pairing nhl defender.
I think a team would claim Pedan... only way Benning waives him is if he has a horrific camp.

However I could see Benning trading either Pedan or Sbisa at this point.

Biega though, is a guy who would definitely go unclaimed on waivers.

(28-year depth guy with a 2-year one-way contract ($700K in 2016-17, $800K in 2017-18)

Nice posting btw fellers...
____
Try to focus on someday.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Topper wrote:Suban does not matter, he won't be invited to the parade.
Oh no you di'int! :look:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Cherry Picker
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Cherry Picker »

Strangelove wrote:
Coldsteel79 wrote:
Cherry Picker wrote:
In my mind the top five are set, so there is only one spot open in the starting six. They shouldn't keep any young player up as the 7th or 8th dman to sit on the bench. Biega, Sbisa and Pedan likely fight over bench warming duty. Subban, Stecher and even Juolevi have a small chance to steal the sixth spot from Larsen, but they would need to play out of their mind amazing to get it. Just not likely to happen, but never say never.
I really hope Jim is able to sneak pedan through waivers for a full season in the ahl. I got the feeling this is gonna be another corrado situation, except that I think pedan has a good shot at being a bottom pairing nhl defender.
I think a team would claim Pedan... only way Benning waives him is if he has a horrific camp.

However I could see Benning trading either Pedan or Sbisa at this point.

Biega though, is a guy who would definitely go unclaimed on waivers.

(28-year depth guy with a 2-year one-way contract ($700K in 2016-17, $800K in 2017-18)

Nice posting btw fellers...
Better than 50% chance they don't need to waive anyone. There are always a couple broken players by the end of training camp (broken foot, puck in the eye, etc). They could paper waive one of the young guys that don't need to clear waivers (Virtanen, Gaunce, or Trymakin) to set the roster then an hour later put the broken man on IR and recall the young guy. They need to start using the players that don't need to clear waivers more strategically. Last year's loss of Corado could have been avoided if they had sent Hutton down for a day. I know Hutton earned the spot, but keeping as much NHL capable depth as possible is important to winning the long game, and players always end up dropping like flies. Jim should have a talk with the young guy's agents so they understand, they still may have made the club even if they are sent down, but for the team to win more games they may need to move down for a bit. In future years these current young guys can expect the future young guys to sacrifice in the same way for the team. Great depth wins lots of games for a team.
We are all Snidely Whiplash.
BladesofSteel
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BladesofSteel »

So the kid smiled to the camera and made a few friends in the media. The Corrado loss is waay over-played. He was a healthy scratch on the worst team in the league for the first half a season.

Move on.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Fankie wasn't injured, the roster was full. Where does he go when Hutton is recalled?

Are you suggesting the Vancouver management ask their medical staff to falsify medical records?

Are you suggesting the Vancouver medical staff jeopardize their professional credentials by falsifying medical records?

Are you suggesting Vancouver management knowingly submit falsified medical records to the league office in order to circumvent the salary cap?

It is becoming clear that you were booted from the Woodlands of Hockey message boards for not meeting minimum IQ requirements.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Cherry Picker wrote:
Blob Mckenzie wrote:I find it hard to believe the aforementioned three players are miles ahead of Subban defensively at this point. Larsen by all accounts was a trainwreck in his own zone with the Coilers a few years ago. Stetcher and Juolevi have never played in the league. The kid has a lot to learn for sure but that is fascinating that those three players have leapfrogged him that quickly.
As much as I have made it clear that I am not particularly on board with moving forward with Sbisa, I think it absolutely ridiculous and would be just plain poor management to devalue him by sitting him!
Unless, that is, you want to get FA for him?
Think about it;
Sometimes you actually have to promote a player, (in the league's eyes), to move him for a reasonable return. :roll:

In regards to Subban; IMO, this is his make or break camp with our team.
If he doesn't make it, I suspect there will be some pressure to move him, emanating from his people.
I also suspect, there will be takers...
"evolution"
rikster
MVP
MVP

Post by rikster »

Last year's loss of Corado could have been avoided if they had sent Hutton down for a day. I know Hutton earned the spot, but keeping as much NHL capable depth as possible is important to winning the long game, and players always end up dropping like flies
So much angst over what to do with 6/7 guys on a team many predict to be another lottery pick team this season..

I don't share your concerns over the loss of Corado, and think he is a good reference in trying to guess what management will do with its bottom group of blue liners...

Considering we are discussing depth players and the AHL is filled with depth players from which to choose from, the ones management keeps should have some skill set that sets them above the others...

Corado was overly vanilla....Not big, not physical, not a great skater, not an offensive player etc., etc....

Sbisa has value because his game has bite which the team desperately needs and is appreciated by the teams core players as evidenced by some of their comments this off season, and other than his penchant for taking too long to make the play at times is a very serviceable 5/6 player who makes the PK better....

I can see Pedan being protected because his game is similar to Sbisa's with more nastiness....He needs to see the ice more this season and given that it will be another long one now would a good time to give it to him...

Biega is a better player than Corado, but of the 3 were discussing would be the more vanilla which is why I would expose him if required....

Another player I expect to make his way into the conversation this year is Cederholm who quietly had a very good season in the ECHL and who I'm going to be anxious to watch at camp this year...

While Benning hasn't been able to land a forward with bite this offseason, he is very systematically building a back end that has skill and size with a good degree of nastiness...

And I agree with the poster who commented that the game will change if the league decides to adopt Bobby Orr's idea of putting the red line back in which would make players like Pedan and Sbisa even more valuable...

Take care...
Cherry Picker
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Cherry Picker »

My example is weak, because Corrado has turned out to be waiver fodder even for the Leaves. At the time I thought Corrado could be a useful depth defenseman. They could have sent down Hutton and kept Corrado, and then once the first injury occurred recalled Hutton.
Hutton, I believe wouldn't of had to clear waivers. I can't recall how many games were played before an injury occurred, but I suspect it wasn't many, at which point Hutton would have been recalled.
I'm not saying Benning made a mistake last year, because as mention Corrado ended up sitting, I'm saying going forward keeping as much depth as possible is a good strategy to win more games in the season. Sending down young guys to Utica that don't need to clear waivers even if they have won jobs, can be an effective strategy for creating better team depth to deal with injuries we know are going to occur.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Cherry Picker wrote: Coles Notes - I'm stupid as hell
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Cherry Picker
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Cherry Picker »

Topper wrote:
Cherry Picker wrote: Coles Notes - I'm stupid as hell

Cheers
We are all Jim Benning! :D
5thhorseman
MVP
MVP

Post by 5thhorseman »

I would have thought the easiest time to send players down is near the end of training camp when GMs are agonizing over who to cut. The last thing a GM would want to do is claim an outside player off the wire to occupy a spot that everyone in camp has been fighting so hard to win. That is, unless you're Jim Benning and you don't give a fuck if you can get a better player. Amirite or Amiwrong?
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

5thhorseman wrote:I would have thought the easiest time to send players down is near the end of training camp when GMs are agonizing over who to cut. The last thing a GM would want to do is claim an outside player off the wire to occupy a spot that everyone in camp has been fighting so hard to win. That is, unless you're Jim Benning and you don't give a fuck if you can get a better player. Amirite or Amiwrong?
Well if you believe most of the "Company Lines", those decisions are made by the coach, not that I totally buy that.

I can assure you of one thing; This year, you can just throw the norms out the window with damn NHL, cash grab, tournament that will have a tremendous effect on the first part of the season.

I'm not sure, maybe WD knows, maybe Doc knows just what the hell the rest of the guys will be doing the last 2 weeks of September? Will they be here? If so, what's the plan?

Maybe it will be good for us, I simply don't know yet.

I do know that very soon now, we are going to bombed with tournament ads, non stop on all SN channels.
Probably all over the sides of our computer poker games too. :devil:
"evolution"
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

5thhorseman wrote:I would have thought the easiest time to send players down is near the end of training camp when GMs are agonizing over who to cut. The last thing a GM would want to do is claim an outside player off the wire to occupy a spot that everyone in camp has been fighting so hard to win. That is, unless you're Jim Benning and you don't give a fuck if you can get a better player. Amirite or Amiwrong?

Both, right and wrong. We snuck Markstrome through one year but lost Corrado the next. Like you I think it is the ideal time, if there is an ideal time. Not many teams will do what Toronto did, grab a guy on waivers, a young guy who needs to play, and park his ass for half a season. As you suggest, there is a lot of activity at that time of year so unless you have a chance to grab a player that is better than what you have kept it often doesn't make sense.

This is one of the consequences of Benning trading players for ones that are further along on their development curve. They are older, 2-3 years, and with their waiver exemption running out. Not a criticism heaven forbid we are all Benning is a genius! Just an observation.
The only HW the Canucks need
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

micky107 wrote:
Well if you believe most of the "Company Lines", those decisions are made by the coach, not that I totally buy that.

I can assure you of one thing; This year, you can just throw the norms out the window with damn NHL, cash grab, tournament that will have a tremendous effect on the first part of the season.

I'm not sure, maybe WD knows, maybe Doc knows just what the hell the rest of the guys will be doing the last 2 weeks of September? Will they be here? If so, what's the plan?

Maybe it will be good for us, I simply don't know yet.

I do know that very soon now, we are going to bombed with tournament ads, non stop on all SN channels.
Probably all over the sides of our computer poker games too. :devil:
Risk reward. If there are no injuries, players coming out of this tournament will have a huge leg up on their peers.
But it's the injuries that can set a team's season back from a little bit to drastically.

Good question about the rest of the guys. Doesn't camp start later this year?
The only HW the Canucks need
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

It sure does, but, a lot of guys are use getting to town in early September.
I suppose they get a long summer this year but some have kids, granted not too many on our team now.
I still wonder how so many will spend their extra time.
If I was Trev, I'd have something available to them...
"evolution"