Canuck select Olli Juolevi - #5 pick

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Canuck select Olli Juolevi - #5 pick

Post by Cornuck »

Finnish import defenseman with a good frame and excellent offensive instincts. Displays significant upside as prospect who can eventually be a two way defender. Maintain good gaps and has an active stick. An excellent stickhandler who can be very poised with the puck. Is athletic and mobile and reads the ice well. Is a crisp long distance passer in transition and can also carry the mail out of the zone. Not adverse to going the rush, is an excellent PP QB, and has a strong hard point shot along with a long range writs shot. Very fluid and has a great feel for the offensive end. Has some physicality and will tie opponents on the wall.It is difficult to estimate exactly where he gets selected in the first round. There are plenty of reasons teams would value his vision and instinct in the attacking part of the game, but if you ask scouts which parts of junior defense’s games are most important, backward skating and handling the defensive part of the game rank rank high. He has trouble handling quicker forwards in his end, and also gets out-muscled in the dirty areas, along the wall and when in possession. He needs to get harder on the stick. These are parts of the game that can be improved upon and he does have a some bite to his game, so he is a pretty nice defensive prospect even with the parts he needs to develop.

Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
CrzyCanuck
CC Legend

Re: Canuck select Olli Juolevi - #5 pick

Post by CrzyCanuck »

Let's hope that he turns out to the biggest surprise in top 10 picks, something like pre-injury Ohlund

:crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:
Hockey is Life, Nothing Else Matters
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

CrzyCanuck wrote:Let's hope that he turns out to the biggest surprise in top 10 picks, something like pre-injury Ohlund

:crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:
Best case scenario....

I hate to curse the kid, but I really hope Tkachuk doesn't become our next Kopitar...
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

I know very little about this kid. I bought into the hype of Dubois and Tkachuck. I feel let down but hoping is is just my lack of knowledge and that Jim knows best.

We got Gudbranson we got Gudbranson we got Gudbranson
The only HW the Canucks need
Diehard1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Diehard1 »

Looks like we drafted the Teppo Numminen clone. Not sexy but he will be a top 4 guy for years. I've only watched a couple of games with him this year but he's solid and unremarkable, definitely the best dman on the Knights and extremely smart. Once he puts on weight he will be solid. He's very young, just turned 18 last month so has tons of roo for growth.

Would have preferred Dubois but I guess we will pick a top forward with our top 5 pick next year. Only bad thing is Tkachuk to calgary as he's tailor made for what they need.
nuckster
MVP
MVP

Post by nuckster »

Yep, seems like an "ELMER" kind of pick to me given the offense that was still available and the belief by many that Sergachev was 'right there' as the number defence-man . A defenseman is a long term development when what they really need is to find or develop replacements for the Sedins.... like now...or very soon
Last edited by nuckster on Fri Jun 24, 2016 5:31 pm, edited 3 times in total.
cc oldtimer
TDA Rum
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by TDA Rum »

I like the pick, once Dubois was gone... never been big on Tkachuk... we got a very solid defenseman.
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

It's official.

Benning is a fucking idiot.
nuckster
MVP
MVP

Post by nuckster »

Reefer2 wrote:It's official.

Benning is a fucking idiot.
I know! Of all the selections he could have made... gawd!!
cc oldtimer
Lloyd Braun
CC Veteran

Post by Lloyd Braun »

I wonder why people seem to think Juolevi is a particularly long-term selection?

Sure... defensemen tend to take longer to develop than forwards... but, in my mind, skating and a high hockey-IQ are the two best predictors of a defenseman who's able to adapt to a higher level more quickly than expected. Tanev and Hutton come to mind, for example.

Both are 6'2 and relatively thin, just like Juolevi, and neither are physical. Both surprised everybody by how quickly they were able to become legit NHLers.
Lloyd Braun
CC Veteran

Post by Lloyd Braun »

Also... we all knew the pick was going to be one of Dubois, Tkachuk, and Juolevi. We all knew that Benning had the three more-or-less equal on his list. Most draft rankings had Juolevi somewhere between 5 and 8, so that's not a big stretch.

And yet, we're all willing to declare, with absolute certainty, that the pick was STUPID.

Seriously?
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

biggest weakness in the line up, Benning addresses it with Gudbrdson and now longer term with Juolevi.

GENIUS
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

I guess trading down to 8-10 overall and taking whoever was left between Juolevi and Sergachev would've been too much to ask for. If the price to move one spot was a 3rd rounder, gotta think moving into top-5 territory could've netted us a 2nd.
damonberryman
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by damonberryman »

I was shocked but in the end it is a good pick. I think MK will be great but we now have the makings of a solid D. And the making of it was quick.
Ronning's Ghost
MVP
MVP

Post by Ronning's Ghost »

Although I am a long-time Benning skeptic, if you believe the man has any pretense to hockey executive talent at all, it is in his eye for talent. I have reasonable confidence that he picked who really was the best player left available.

There are concerns that Tkachuk's numbers were inflated by the talent of his linemates. I have heard the Canucks scouting staff had concerns about his skating. While I expect the Tkachuk will have a successful NHL career, it could easily not be good enough to justify his position in the draft.

If you really hate the pick, remember that Benning has shown the ability to be dispassionate about his assets. If Juolevi has a brilliant year next year, he could easily be flipped for someone you might like better.

If the Canucks do retain Juolevi, I think that pushes back the timetable for their first Stanley Cup to 2019, at the earliest.