Draft Day 2016

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Meds
MVP
MVP

Draft Day 2016

Post by Meds »

We're just a handful of hours out from what could be some franchise altering decisions, and with 115 pages in the other draft thread I figured we should have a thread just for today. :D

Here's hoping we aren't disappointed.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Re: Draft Day 2016

Post by Cornuck »

At this point I'm almost hoping for an uneventful day for the Canucks... safe pick of BPA at the #5 spot.
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

PLD or MK, don't go stupid on us Benning.

Don't pick a D man at #5 they rarely do as we well as projected and take 4 - 5 years. we have the same chance with a 2nd or 3rd round pick.
damonberryman
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by damonberryman »

Mëds wrote:We're just a handful of hours out from what could be some franchise altering decisions, and with 115 pages in the other draft thread I figured we should have a thread just for today. :D

Here's hoping we aren't disappointed.
Why not? Another thread is a sweet idea but I would like to make a suggestion. We all know who writes the usual drivel and predictably fight each other. How about we just talk about the draft? Or maybe that is not fun? It is only a suggestion, just like when you jump out of a plane with a parachute, pulling the ripcord is only a suggestion. :D
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Here is hoping for a calm draft day. We don't need to make a splash Jim, just take the pick. If you can move a few contracts for scraps go ahead but otherwise, stand down. I with Cornuck. I just want an uneventful day out of Benning.

Unless.......... :mrgreen:
The only HW the Canucks need
Zedlee
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Zedlee »

Hockey Widow wrote:Here is hoping for a calm draft day. We don't need to make a splash Jim, just take the pick. If you can move a few contracts for scraps go ahead but otherwise, stand down. I with Cornuck. I just want an uneventful day out of Benning.

Unless...

Jim can move down (swap first rounders) and add a second round pick. And still draft a strong prospect like Logan Brown, Sergachyev or Juolevi. Or Jost. The way this draft is stacked #11 may end up a better player than #5.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Zedlee wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote:Here is hoping for a calm draft day. We don't need to make a splash Jim, just take the pick. If you can move a few contracts for scraps go ahead but otherwise, stand down. I with Cornuck. I just want an uneventful day out of Benning.

Unless...

Jim can move down (swap first rounders) and add a second round pick. And still draft a strong prospect like Logan Brown, Sergachyev or Juolevi. Or Jost. The way this draft is stacked #11 may end up a better player than #5.
He damn well better be getting more than a single second round pick to move backwards in the draft to select an inferior player.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

From SN

Blue Jackets fielding ‘serious’ offers for third-overall pick

Columbus Blue Jackets GM Jarmo Kekalainen told Aaron Portzline of the Columbus Dispatch that he has listened to at least 10 offers for their third-overall pick in Friday’s first round of the NHL Draft. He spoke of his willingness to potentially move the pick.

“If we pick at three, we’ll get a great player,” Kekalainen said. “If we move down, we’re going to take a player that we feel is going to be as good — or nearly as good — as we would have gotten at three.

“If we move down, it’s not that we’re going to settle for a much lesser of a player by doing it. We feel that the top of the draft is so good that, if we’re going to move back, we’re probably not going to move back very much.”

He continued by making clear to reporters that he will not trade out of the top 10.

“We’re getting some serious and real offers right now,” Kekalainen said. “We’re making sure we have them all lined up so that we can compare them and see what the best one is and whether it’s worth consideration.

“I’ve talked to every team in the top 10. We’ve got their interest in what they want to do. We have a pretty good idea for what everybody’s intentions are, what it might take and what they might offer if they want to move up to three.”
damonberryman
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by damonberryman »

There are many who say we are going with Dubois and if we do I am ok with it. However, I have spent way too much time today reading about the prospects. I remember Bossy was not picked in top ten if I recall correctly. There are three prospects I would be happy to see him get whether it is trading down or going off the board.

They are McLeod, Sergaychev and Jost. I am impressed by their game but above all they are all fast and carry size. We need both. McLeod would be the top of this short list.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

damonberryman wrote:There are many who say we are going with Dubois and if we do I am ok with it. However, I have spent way too much time today reading about the prospects. I remember Bossy was not picked in top ten if I recall correctly. There are three prospects I would be happy to see him get whether it is trading down or going off the board.

They are McLeod, Sergaychev and Jost. I am impressed by their game but above all they are all fast and carry size. We need both. McLeod would be the top of this short list.

Not Brown?
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

I have a feeling Columbus might be enthralled with Dubois, he's garnering a lot of interest since the interviews.

And of course getting the next Keith Tkachuk isn't bad either.

***Still think overpaying a bit to move up to #3 would be the most logical and sane choice to do this draft, and take on Hartnell's cap.

As Lucic probably takes McDavid's team, as the Oilers overpay a bit for his services.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

According to J. d. Burke of Canucks Army

source" has said that

if Dubois isn't available to the Canucks at fifth overall, expect them to -- at the very least -- make a concerted effort to trade down with any of the teams sitting between sixth and tenth overall. From that point, it sounds as though they are likely to select Juolevi. And if Juolevi isn't available to them, they will be just as happy to select Sergachyov.

They would trade down for the 1st and 2nd round picks.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Tim and Sid are just going off the charts with pimping every rumour out there. It's crazy what they are doing.mthey are predicting major major moves. No substance to any of them but man are they pumping the tires of SN and the draft coverage. It's enough, almost, to make me not watch.

And now SN pre draft coverage has just begun.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Friedman:

Columbus busiest GM on floor so far, at least in talking.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Hahaha. A buffalo fan found a written copy of Tampa's entire draft plan on the floor of a hotel. They then posted the entire plan on Twitter. It has since been taken down. But Tampa table empty at the draft as they are huddling in a room to redo their plan. OMG I'm so glad this wasn't Benning.