Draft Day 2016

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Re: Draft Day 2016

Post by Hockey Widow »

Island Nucklehead wrote:so apparently Juolevi is "on loan" from his Finish pro team, and as such can go to the AHL directly? Seems a bit strange, as he was drafted by the Knights in an import draft and the Canucks picked him from the CHL. If that's the case, he could go to the AHL next year and be available as a call-up as required.

I think I'd rather have him go back to junior regardless (get bigger, save the ELC)...

Doc, got any research on this?

They were talking about this at the draft in relation to another Finn. Something about his rights were owned by the Finnish team who lent them to the OHL team. Therefore he can go back to Finland, stay in the OHL, or go to the AHL. But I didn't hear this in relation to Juolevi.

Not sure of the rule or exactly how it works either but they said it is a quirk/loophole in the system. It was the same one that allowed Nylander to be assigned to the Marlies and not have to go back to junior. But the player must be signed to his ELC first.
The only HW the Canucks need
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Hockey Widow wrote:It was the same one that allowed Nylander to be assigned to the Marlies and not have to go back to junior. But the player must be signed to his ELC first.
I understand that HW. But William Nylander never played in the CHL. Same one that allowed Mikko Rantanen to play in the AHL this year, they never played in the CHL. Juolevi was drafted by the London Knights, and the Canucks drafted him from the London Knights. Seems to be a lot of talk that this guy could go straight to the AHL if we want him there, but wouldn't that be circumventing the NHL-CHL agreement?

Either way, I'd rather season him in Junior for a year or two, time his arrival to that of Brock Boesser, perhaps.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

The dude is doing the Matt Cooke turtle sniffing meth and chanting Mathew Tkachuks name
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Island Nucklehead wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote:It was the same one that allowed Nylander to be assigned to the Marlies and not have to go back to junior. But the player must be signed to his ELC first.
I understand that HW. But William Nylander never played in the CHL. Same one that allowed Mikko Rantanen to play in the AHL this year, they never played in the CHL. Juolevi was drafted by the London Knights, and the Canucks drafted him from the London Knights. Seems to be a lot of talk that this guy could go straight to the AHL if we want him there, but wouldn't that be circumventing the NHL-CHL agreement?

Either way, I'd rather season him in Junior for a year or two, time his arrival to that of Brock Boesser, perhaps.
Ya I don't know IN. I heard them talking in relation to another Finn that was drafted, not Juolevi so I don't know. It is being reported, as well on another thread here, that Benning has confirmed his status and said he may play in Utica next year. But I have yet to see a confirmed link to that. I'm sure we'll get some type of explanation. Once he signs his ELC I would love to see him n Utica.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:The dude is doing the Matt Cooke turtle sniffing meth and chanting Mathew Tkachuks name

You and Dude playing musical chairs again? :roll:
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Ok, I'm calmer.

Word out there is that Edmonton was set to pick Juolevi at 4 but Columbus crossed them up. So if Columbus had stuck to the script we would have had Dubois and Taychook would still have fallen to the Flames.

Several GMs now stating they had Juolevi slotted as the 3rd over all. We're surprised he dropped to 5th.

Dubois showing during a half a season playing centre and his pre draft interviews were what convinced Columbus to go for him. They have an organization need for a centre and other GMs saying they weren't surprised since they didn't need D.

Knocks on Taychook:

Skating
Lack of a 200' game
hockey IQ as compared to others selected ahead of him

I don't have much in the way of expectations for Saturday. But Benning has plucked a gem or two n later rounds. Maybe he gets lucky tomorrow.
BurningBeard
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BurningBeard »

Hockey Widow wrote:IQ as compared to others selected ahead of him
Good pickup for the Flames, should fit in.
Every time I look out my window, same three dogs looking back at me.
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

Hockey Widow wrote:Ok, I'm calmer.

Word out there is that Edmonton was set to pick Juolevi at 4 but Columbus crossed them up. So if Columbus had stuck to the script we would have had Dubois and Taychook would still have fallen to the Flames.

Several GMs now stating they had Juolevi slotted as the 3rd over all. We're surprised he dropped to 5th.

Dubois showing during a half a season playing centre and his pre draft interviews were what convinced Columbus to go for him. They have an organization need for a centre and other GMs saying they weren't surprised since they didn't need D.

Knocks on Taychook:

Skating
Lack of a 200' game

I don't have much in the way of expectations for Saturday. But Benning has plucked a gem or two n later rounds. Maybe he gets lucky tomorrow.

lack of a 200' game alone would keep him on the bench or in the minors as far as WD would be concerned.
Lancer
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Lancer »

Hockey Widow wrote:Word out there is that Edmonton was set to pick Juolevi at 4 but Columbus crossed them up. So if Columbus had stuck to the script we would have had Dubois and Taychook would still have fallen to the Flames.

The more I think about Dubois going to Columbus, the more I see how they saw him as an eventual replacement for Ryan Johanssen. I can imagine Torts loving this kid.
Hockey Widow wrote:Several GMs now stating they had Juolevi slotted as the 3rd over all. We're surprised he dropped to 5th.
What surprises me more about that statement is how far Puljujarvi fell in relation to the rest if Juolevi was 3rd overall in their eyes, and then to have Dubois taken ahead of him. I'd heard of whispers among scouts about Puljujarvi's hockey IQ, but I wonder what else worked against him relative to the others?

Kind of makes you wonder why Edmonton didn't pick Juolevi, but then again it may be a case of varying organizations having significantly different draft orders. Either way, Edmonton gets another beefy forward with skill which doesn't bode well for the rest of the division. Regardless, I'd rather Edmonton had picked Juolevi so we could see the kid get caved in by the likes of whoever the Canucks would draft between Puljujarvi or Tkachuk than vice versa. Spilled milk in the end and it is what it is when Benning has to choose from among what is left.

We'll see how Benning makes lemonade out of this but you can't help but wonder if he couldn't have got more overall value out of that pick by trading down. Yeah, Juolevi may well have been the best defenceman available but nobody would call him a potential NHL stud defenceman. How much sense, then, does it make to use (hopefully) his highest pick in one of the deeper drafts over the next couple years on a player who will almost certainly never be uttered in the same sentence as 'Norris Trophy'?
Hockey Widow wrote:Knocks on Taychook:
Skating
Lack of a 200' game
Even MT admitted he needed to work on his skating. The 200' game thing seems odd because the scouting reports noted that he played hard at both ends. Maybe a matter of IQ not meeting effort. As for hockey IQ, maybe scouts saw him as the beneficiary of two super linemates than vice versa. I dunno, but sounds like teachable stuff but maybe Benning prizes brains over brawn (then why pick Virtanen?)
Hockey Widow wrote:I don't have much in the way of expectations for Saturday. But Benning has plucked a gem or two n later rounds. Maybe he gets lucky tomorrow.
We'll see what he can do in the 3rd round and after. What are the odds Cliffy's son gets called by Benning and Co.?
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Well word is that Edmonton was set to pick Juolevi when Columbus did what they did. They then apparently resorted to PBA. After the first two it was a crap shoot for the next 4-5.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

The hockey gawds are going to piss all over Columbus one day. Mark my words, when we eventually get their 2nd round pick it will turn out to be a sleeper superstar!!!!
rikster
MVP
MVP

Post by rikster »

Skating
Lack of a 200' game
Tkachuk makes me think of Anson Carter's year on the Sedin line...

While some fans are moaning about the miss on getting a scorer, offense begins at the back end and that is where Juolevi excels and is maybe the Canucks biggest need...

Take care...
dangler
MVP
MVP

Post by dangler »

Was hoping for another top 6 prospect but Juolevi is a nice consolation.
9 defensemen taken in the 1st round!
I guess Edmonton didn't see the need for D-men :?
Seems like they're betting their season on aquiring some D through free agency/trade
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

dangler wrote: I guess Edmonton didn't see the need for D-men :?
Good
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
lostinarink
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by lostinarink »

Looking forward to all the excitement of a draft day!

Remind me again when it starts...... :roll: