Canucks trade MCCann for Gudbranson

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Rocky Dennis
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Re: Canucks trade MCCann for Gudbranson

Post by Rocky Dennis »

Count me in favour. Fair value for quality d-man, a right hander to boot. Not concerned about the offence (or lack thereof) issue in this situation...for the immediate future anyways. We lose 18 points and a high likelihood of the dreaded sophomore slump or more likely a year in the A. So they were most likely going to have to find other avenues to increase the offence with or without Mcann. Not dumping on the kid, I think he will be a player down the road.
I'm not surprised it was a center that was moved. That's what I was referring to several weeks ago when Granlund was re-signed and I thought a logjam had formed at the C position...although those posts were also predicated on the pipedream of winning the lottery and drafting another centre in matthews. So count me as one who has the feeling that Benning is sure he's going to land a top 6 centre at the draft or FA.
As for the 33rd, it shouldn't bother the naysayers much that its a 2016 and not 2017 because according to them next years 2nd should be as good or better in terms of positioning. Plus it's nice to actually have even a small amount of small parts to try and dangle to hopefully recoup some picks.
GStank
AHL Prospect

Post by GStank »

Im justing to figure out who they are dangling to recoup picks

Sbisa? seems like his days are numbered with Trymakin and Larsen coming in next year, mind you this could be Benning setting himself up with defensive depth (1-8)

Vey? seems like he won't be here next year. We definitely saw improvement from him this year but I don't think Benning is able to find him a spot in the lineup

Anyone I'm missing? two assets doesn't seems like a lot.

Trading down a couple of spots could also get them a 2nd/3rd
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Hearing that without us throwing in the 2nd Gudbranson goes to Edmonton or Toronto. He was sought after. Gudbranson is a young Willie Mitchell. Not much offence, decent skater, great hitter, blocks shots, mean as shit, shut down type of guy. He's only 24, just entering his prime as a D man. Any FA D man that fills this need would cost us a lot of coin.

Also hearing Benning not done, has a little bit of tinkering he wants to do before the draft.
The only HW the Canucks need
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

:thumbs:

I endorse this move!
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

GStank wrote:Im justing to figure out who they are dangling to recoup picks

Sbisa? seems like his days are numbered with Trymakin and Larsen coming in next year, mind you this could be Benning setting himself up with defensive depth (1-8)

Vey? seems like he won't be here next year. We definitely saw improvement from him this year but I don't think Benning is able to find him a spot in the lineup

Moving McCann just may have saved Vey's job.

Benning has players he can dangle.

Sbisa
Burrows
Hansen
Pedan
Higgins

Not players worth much but picks none the less. Sbisa could get him a 2nd plus. As Blob said Hansen would fetch the best return. Not a lot of meat though that's for sure.
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

The Dougie Hamilton and Griffin Reinhart trades pretty much set the precedent for young defensemen picked in the top 10.

Big, mean, defensive defenseman, eats up minutes, right-handed shot, entering his prime. This is pretty much an organizational need for every team. How long would it take to draft and develop someone like that? We've needed a guy like this forever.

So what's available out there that's better and cheaper? And why would any team trade someone like that for peanuts? You gotta give to get.

Sucks to give up McCann, who could be a nice player 2-3 years down the road... but can he crack a pretty talented Panthers top 6?
The Best GD Canucks Hockey Talk Forum in the World... With Only 18 People!
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

So this means the Nucks protect Hutton, Tanev and Gud? From what I read 1st and 2nd year players on ELC are exempt but next year wouldn't both be considered going into their 3rd year?

If there is an expansion I mean.
DonCherry4PM
MVP
MVP

Post by DonCherry4PM »

ClamRussel wrote:Shame to see more young skill go out the door, but having Gudbranson patrolling the blueline will be a sight for sore eyes. He'll help make life miserable for all that talent Alberta has been accumulating. Hello McDavid.

Too bad Benning didn't have that Luongo 800k nullified as part of the deal, its kinda not exactly helping the cap situation (and bogus the way Lu has played). The 2nd kinda hurts, I was hoping he'd be able to snag someone like Benson.

May I suggest patience w/ the process...
Diehard1 wrote:I'm ok with the trade overall, just wish once Jimbo would make a deal where I think right away - good deal for us. Maybe the Kesler deal was a few years back, but other than that it's been tough going. Baertschi's deal looks pretty good too, but otherwise it seems like one pick too many each time. For a guy who drafts as well as Benning does he sure likes to give up picks - now only 11 left out of 14 possible for the next 2 years. He's becoming like Nonis and trading 2nd rounders like it's going out of style.
You got that right, couldn't agree more. Its strange, really. Trading is clearly not Benning's forté, scouting/drafting is. Aqua should "promote" him to head scout and bring in a GM who can trade w/o hemorrhaging 2nds.

++

Glad to see you back on the board, Clam.
Invincibility lies in oneself.
Vincibility lies in the enemy.

- Sun Tzu
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Hockey Widow wrote:
GStank wrote:Im justing to figure out who they are dangling to recoup picks

Moving McCann just may have saved Vey's job.

Benning has players he can dangle.

Sbisa
Burrows
Hansen
Pedan
Higgins

Not players worth much but picks none the less. Sbisa could get him a 2nd plus. As Blob said Hansen would fetch the best return. Not a lot of meat though that's for sure.
Lol Sbisa could fetch a 2nd ?

Good one HW.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Lancer
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Lancer »

Gudbranson was one of those young Florida D I was hoping Benning could snag. Frankly I was hoping he would snag Petrovic, but Gudbranson is further along the curve. Concur with the majority of assessments of him: Decent skater, asshole SOB to play against, don't expect much offense, expect heart.

Not surprised McCann was going the other way - liked what he brought but as others have said, he's a project and not surprised to hear the attitude issues. Best part is he's gone to the eastern conference so if he flourishes we won't be reminded as often.

It's the 33rd pick that hurts. That said, I guess it's the price you pay for keeping him out of the hands of Toronto or Edmonton - especially Edmonton. The more Benning and the rest of the league can foil either of their bluelines from getting better and younger buys the Canucks more time to get/stay ahead of those fuckheads.

Hope Benning recoups the higher picks. Either way, it looks like Hamhuis' days of wearing the whale are over. I wish him well.
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Hearing Edmonton offered up Yakupov and their 2nd. Florida wanted McCann more I guess. Maybe more do do with age and ELC status. Don't know how true this is of course. Have no idea what Toronto offered.

Yes Blob I think Sbisa could get a 2nd.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Lancer wrote: It's the 33rd pick that hurts. That said, I guess it's the price you pay for keeping him out of the hands of Toronto or Edmonton - especially Edmonton. The more Benning and the rest of the league can foil either of their bluelines from getting better and younger buys the Canucks more time to get/stay ahead of those fuckheads.

Hope Benning recoups the higher picks. Either way, it looks like Hamhuis' days of wearing the whale are over. I wish him well.
Yup I'd be choked if Gudbranson went to the Oilers, and I bet all the little drama queens would be crying - why didn't JB trade for him??

Kudos to JB for being aggressive on this trade, Guds is a big huge tremendous need for the Canucks moving forward in the rebuild on the fly plan.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Hockey Widow wrote:Hearing Edmonton offered up Yakupov and their 2nd. Florida wanted McCann more I guess. Maybe more do do with age and ELC status. Don't know how true this is of course. Have no idea what Toronto offered.

Yes Blob I think Sbisa could get a 2nd.
Are we eating half his contract and throwing in Cassels or Subban and a 3rd?
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

Lancer wrote:Either way, it looks like Hamhuis' days of wearing the whale are over. I wish him well.
Ya the media is saying that, I don't see how this move changes that at all. If anything, its the arrival of Tryamkin that probably spells the end for Dan unless someone is switching sides. I hope they keep Dan here as a 3rd pairing mentor. Gudbranson fills a void on the right side thats been there since Bieksa was traded and has been keeping Biega & Weber on the roster. What about Sbisa and Bartkowski? I have no idea where Larsen is going to fit in, I guess he'll be the new Weber. If Sbisa is traded to recoup a pick then I could see Hamhuis resigned.
"Once a King, always a King" -Mike Murphy
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

I'm OK with the deal. McCann had no two way game yet, wasn't really ready.
Been looking in on some talk from Florida fans. They're split, though some think they gave up too much heart and soul and saw a few future captain comments.
I'll just be real pissed if this means another year of little baby, hold my hand, Vey! Get rid of that softy!!!
"evolution"