Canucks News and Notes 2016/17

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Todd Bersnoozi
CC Hall of Fan Member

Re: Canucks News and Notes 2016/17

Post by Todd Bersnoozi » Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:59 pm

mr perfect wrote:
When it comes to the D, it's time to bite the bullet and move heaven and earth to get Edler out of Vancouver. He is simply not a number 1 d-man and is much better on a second pairing with a more talented team. Move Edler, then this is your pairing on D for the Canucks next season:
I wouldn't mind moving Edler. I think he'll stay @ least one more season to play with the Sedins though. If they don't come back, I can see Edler being willing to move on elsewhere. He'd only have 1 more season on his contract anyways.
mr perfect wrote: The LA Kings exposed Edler in the 2012 playoff with their forecheck. His blunders led to the winning LA goals in 3 of the 4 Canucks defeats. The organization rewarded him a year later with his current 6 year $30 mil contract.
I remember that year we played Calgary in the playoffs as well. It was that final game (game 6?) and we had like a 3-0 lead that game, but Special Ed dumps the puck up the middle, which leads to a big Calgary goal.

Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow » Wed Apr 12, 2017 2:13 pm

Gaunce requires off season shoulder surgery. Explains why he didn't return to Utica.
The only HW the Canucks need

Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot » Wed Apr 12, 2017 3:13 pm

Hockey Widow wrote:Gaunce requires off season shoulder surgery. Explains why he didn't return to Utica.
I thought it was because he sucked so bad here that Utica didn't want him.
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.

Tciso
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Tciso » Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:01 pm

Madcombinepilot wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote:Gaunce requires off season shoulder surgery. Explains why he didn't return to Utica.
Are you saying Greene has standards? Too bad if he does, cuz that rules out him coaching the Canucks next year. :D :D
The Cup is soooooo ours!!!!!!!

Todd Bersnoozi
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Todd Bersnoozi » Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:15 pm

Madcombinepilot wrote:
Gauncer can't buy a goal in the NHL, but his point production is actually pretty good in the AHL. :D

Tciso
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Tciso » Fri Apr 14, 2017 10:49 am

Hockey Widow wrote:^^^

You forgot Dorsett!
And Rodin. If he's back healthy, he looks like a lock on a top 9 role.

rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 » Fri Apr 14, 2017 10:58 am

While everyone thinks we will continue with the suckage... I believe will have a decent shot at playoffs next year so we better pick and trade smart.

We won't be in the top 5 picks again for years to come shy of trading for it... :drink:
Getting old is not for the young...

TDA Rum
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by TDA Rum » Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:14 pm

rats19 wrote:While everyone thinks we will continue with the suckage... I believe will have a decent shot at playoffs next year so we better pick and trade smart.

We won't be in the top 5 picks again for years to come shy of trading for it... :drink:
I agree Rats, i think there will be some more changes before training camp, i think the team will will surprise a few people next year, there will be a few teams that will drop off next year while the Canucks will move up....

Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow » Fri Apr 14, 2017 3:41 pm

TDA Rum wrote:
rats19 wrote:While everyone thinks we will continue with the suckage... I believe will have a decent shot at playoffs next year so we better pick and trade smart.

I agree Rats, i think there will be some more changes before training camp, i think the team will will surprise a few people next year, there will be a few teams that will drop off next year while the Canucks will move up....

Our Division and our Conference are not easy.

In the Division, I don't see Calgary or Edmonton dropping off. Neither SHS or Anaheim are in a big decline. I expect LA to be better next year with a healthy Quick. Doesn't leave us much wiggle room to improve and move up.

As for the Wild Card next year, again, a lot of teams to best out.

For us to make enough improvement to be within striking distance of the playoffs we have to:

1) improve PK. Get back to top ten

2) improve PP. get back to top ten

3) increase goal scoring by 25%-30%. This is the killer. Do we have enough to score 40-60 goals more?

We improved our F/O % this year so that was a significant turn around. We need to be able to maintain and build on that. Our goaltending was great but inconsistent at times. We have to maintain and build on that. We improved in OT and SO. Being able to squeeze out those extra points was a good sign.

I'd love to predict a playoff finish next year but I have to wait until camp and preseason is done to really see what we have. Starting in China will be interesting. Maybe we should sign a couple of Chinese to 10 game PTO contracts. Get a couple billion people cheering for us. Those four points are important :mex:

Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow » Fri Apr 14, 2017 3:57 pm

Elder confirmed for the World's. He joins Hedman and Lack. His buddies.

Twins invited, declined.

Baertschi accepted but depends upon his neck injury.

Sbisa declined, wife pregnant with due date early June. Wants to be with her.

Horvat not invited primarily due to being RFA. Team Canada still holding positions as they always do for first round knock outs. He'd love to go but no one has called yet.

Erickson injured, not invited.
Tanev injured, not invited
Markstrom injured, not invited.

micky107
MVP
MVP

Post by micky107 » Sat Apr 15, 2017 1:00 am

Surprised Horvat not invited.
No matter who becomes available after round one, he'd still be valuable to them.
"evolution"

Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow » Sun Apr 16, 2017 1:58 pm

Goldobin scored 4 goals in 3 games with Utica. Feedback from Utica, a dynamic gifted scorer but light on the puck and needs to learn to play in all three zones. So, everything we saw when he was here.

A key to developing him will be to put him with other offensive plays that play well in all three zones, not sticking him on the fourth line.

Tciso
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Tciso » Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:22 am

Hockey Widow wrote:Goldobin scored 4 goals in 3 games with Utica. Feedback from Utica, a dynamic gifted scorer but light on the puck and needs to learn to play in all three zones. So, everything we saw when he was here.

A key to developing him will be to put him with other offensive plays that play well in all three zones, not sticking him on the fourth line.
Pair him with Virtanen and Cassels. I'm kinda serious. All 3 are under-achieving, and have holes in their games. If they figure it out together, they could be an incredible line. But, man, Goldie has some offensive freaking skills.

Chef Boi RD
CC Legend

Post by Chef Boi RD » Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:35 am

Stick the fork in another Mike Gillis fail - Cassels. He's done
"I just want to say one word to you. Just one word. Are you listening? - Plastics." - The Graduate

The Brown Wizard
CC Legend

Post by The Brown Wizard » Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:45 am

Virtanen needs to fuck off and remember how to stir up the shit again. This is who we drafted not some stick checking wuss bag.
Hopefully they find a coach who knows how to get the team finishing hits and reasserting themselves. The team has been a disgrace for waaaaay too long now.

Witchcraft... Oh, but it IS. A dark and terrible magic...