Canucks News and Notes 2016/17

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

SKYO
MVP
MVP

Canucks News and Notes 2016/17

Post by SKYO »

Yeah last thread over 500 pages, time for a new fresh Canucks thread!

Tanev, Demko, Markstrom, Hutton in world championships.

Huts gets his blog-on about it.
http://canucks.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=881585

marchand gets no love as usual.

#CaggiulaWatch comes down to today!
:o

Larson the Danish darkhorse, everyone talking about Tryamkin and Stecher, Larson has no expectations, so with that he could surpass and surpise at training camp.
Granted we still got to sign him this summer.

http://thehockeywriters.com/could-phili ... r-canucks/
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Re: Canucks News and Notes 2016/17

Post by Hockey Widow »

Another story on Boeser and his Prom date.

http://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/ ... drome-prom

What a classy guy who gets it. Add in that fact that one of the reasons he wanted to turn pro was to help his parents. His father is ill and can't work and his mom holds down two jobs to make ends meet. He was pressuring himself to help them out. Parents said no, stay at UND if that's where your heart is. Canucks supported him all the way with whatever decision he made.

This kid oozes character
The only HW the Canucks need
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

SKYO wrote:Yeah last thread over 500 pages, time for a new fresh Canucks thread!

Tanev, Demko, Markstrom, Hutton in world championships.

Huts gets his blog-on about it.
http://canucks.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=881585
There is a thread for the world championship over here:
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=10834&p=258221#p258221
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

SKYO wrote: Larson the Danish darkhorse, everyone talking about Tryamkin and Stecher, Larson has no expectations, so with that he could surpass and surpise at training camp.
Granted we still got to sign him this summer.

http://thehockeywriters.com/could-phili ... r-canucks/
Hm, 5th in KHL defenceman scoring...
When was the last time someone suggested luring Kirill Koltsov back from the K?
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Like the rest of the world he seems to forget that Benning has said they will sign Larson on a one way contract, hopefully for 1-2 years, and give him a spot on the big club to prove he can play in the NHL. So he needs to be penciled in, whether 2nd pairing or 3rd pairing will work itself out at camp.
The only HW the Canucks need
Diehard1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Diehard1 »

Hockey Widow wrote:
Like the rest of the world he seems to forget that Benning has said they will sign Larson on a one way contract, hopefully for 1-2 years, and give him a spot on the big club to prove he can play in the NHL. So he needs to be penciled in, whether 2nd pairing or 3rd pairing will work itself out at camp.
It's really hard to predict what the Nucks will do this summer, but I can almost guarantee this isn't it. There will be a number of other changes, both up front and on the back end. I feel like Trevor and Jim will be smart now and try to sign some decent FAs on short term contracts for depth, especially up front. The back end has quantity, not quality, especially if Hamhuis comes back.

I don't expect them to be very good next year as it will be another year of building. We are probably 2-3 years away from becoming a playoff team again.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

I think Cullen was pretty bang on with his assessment of the organization and what poor shape it's in currently and moving forward. The prospect depth is getting better but it's still one of weaker groups in the league. I'm with you diehard this team is a MINIMUM of two to three years away from even contending for a playoff spot. There's a few mouth breathers around here who would have people believe that the Canucks will be back in the playoffs as early as next year but these people are delusional.

Scott Cullen lost me with his plan for next year however. I'm not sure there is a plan with this group. I guess we will find out in June/July.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Nothing like getting a mods $0.02 and having change.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Topper wrote:Nothing like getting a mods $0.02 and having change.
Ya, last 30 pages great for quoting. :(
"evolution"
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Rumours that Calgary will seek permission to interview Glen Gulutzan for head coaching job.

@FriedgeHNIC: Some other notes from Headlines: don't be surprised if CAL interviews VAN assistant Glen Gulutzan. He and Brad Treliving both played...
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Tanev named player of the game against Hungary. He's getting a lot of praise from coach and teammates.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Hockey Widow wrote:Rumours that Calgary will seek permission to interview Glen Gulutzan for head coaching job.

@FriedgeHNIC: Some other notes from Headlines: don't be surprised if CAL interviews VAN assistant Glen Gulutzan. He and Brad Treliving both played...

Gulutzan to the Flames, would be A-OK, then we can promote Green to take his spot. :thumbs:
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

The problems with Green to assistant coach as heir apparent.

How do WD/TG work together and would management create such a toxic work environment.

Assistants play the role of father/confessor and develop a far more personal relationship with players allowing head coaches to be a bit more distant and ruthless when tough choices need to be made. It is never an easy transition for an assistant to become head coach with the same team as the player coach dynamic also changes.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

True true, granted it can work with the right folks, remember
For Gulutzan and Desjardins, it's a reversal in roles as Gulutzan was head coach of the Dallas Stars in 2011-12 and Desjardins one of his assistants.
http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/canu ... story.html

Lidster already plays the role of good guy ambassador.
"Doug is just a real good man and I think he has great values," explained Desjardins. "I think he's really good with the players. He's played the game so I think he understands what it's like to be a player. When he works with the defence, he treats them right and with respect. I just like the way he approaches the game.

Lidster, 53, emphasized that forming a bond of trust with players is the most crucial element in coaching, no matter what level it is.

"You have to build that trust and relationship with the players," he noted. "When they know you have the same common goal and they can trust you, that's when your relationship starts.