Canucks News and Notes 2016/17

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Re: Canucks News and Notes 2016/17

Post by Hockey Widow »

Derek Dorsett will undergo cervical fusion surgery to repair disc degeneration in his neck. http://canucks.co/U5DG306PMAZ
11:00 AM - 5 Dec 2016

It is anticipated his season is done and he has officially been put on LTIR.

He played 71 games last year and I think 14 this so as long as he is not on LTIR when the expansion draft arrives he can be exposed as one of the two required forwards with the 70 game threshold.

Hansen has been out just over 4 weeks. His prognosis was 4-6 weeks. His status is day to day now.

Rodin status week to week.

When your 4th line can consist of 3 of Gaunce, Skille, Chaput, Megna or Labate, and when one of Chaput or Gaunce is your third line centre, well let's just say getting Hansen back and adding Rodin would be nice. I'd like to see Labate get a few games.
The only HW the Canucks need
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Hockey Widow wrote: When your 4th line can consist of 3 of Gaunce, Skille, Chaput, Megna or Labate, and when one of Chaput or Gaunce is your third line centre, well let's just say getting Hansen back and adding Rodin would be nice. I'd like to see Labate get a few games.
Makes Virtanen's piss-poor showings even harder to take. The kid had every chance to play a meaningful role.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Island Nucklehead wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote: When your 4th line can consist of 3 of Gaunce, Skille, Chaput, Megna or Labate, and when one of Chaput or Gaunce is your third line centre, well let's just say getting Hansen back and adding Rodin would be nice. I'd like to see Labate get a few games.
Makes Virtanen's piss-poor showings even harder to take. The kid had every chance to play a meaningful role.
Was just gonna say that. Damn that guy, get your act together!

Hope Dorset will be OK and the rehab works.
Always given all he's got.
Have a feeling this procedure is the only chance for him to play meaningful hockey again. Good Luck!
"evolution"
Iceman2014
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Iceman2014 »

RoyalDude wrote:
Uncle dans leg wrote:
RoyalDude wrote:. Unless he can manage to be like Burnaby boy Cliff Ronning and not let the "local boy" thing be a distraction to him and can figure how to be a good pro.
Cliff was all hockey nerd. I was at some party years ago and he happened to be there until we started smoking our shit which prompted him to slink off to his merc and spin his tires defiantly as he just said no to drugs lol
...and that's a bad thing? Would Ronning have been a better player if he was all Zack Coke-assassin?

That makes me a bigger Ronning fan. Isn't into drugs/being a loser/drain on society. Good stuff right there!
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Iceman2014 wrote:
RoyalDude wrote:
Uncle dans leg wrote:
RoyalDude wrote:. Unless he can manage to be like Burnaby boy Cliff Ronning and not let the "local boy" thing be a distraction to him and can figure how to be a good pro.
Cliff was all hockey nerd. I was at some party years ago and he happened to be there until we started smoking our shit which prompted him to slink off to his merc and spin his tires defiantly as he just said no to drugs lol
...and that's a bad thing? Would Ronning have been a better player if he was all Zack Coke-assassin?

That makes me a bigger Ronning fan. Isn't into drugs/being a loser/drain on society. Good stuff right there!
a blunt statement
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
5thhorseman
MVP
MVP

Post by 5thhorseman »

A snort of derision towards some of the posters on this board.
Kenji
MVP
MVP

Post by Kenji »

Cliff Ronning was a good fellow. I only talked to him one time in school, probably to ask a deep question like "Aren't you Cliff Ronning?" and found him rather monosyllabic, but it may have been because he was carrying an enormous television, seeking a place to watch a playoff game.
I ran into him at the gym years later and he was as pleasant as could be.

Burnaby North was quite NHL rich at the time. A young Joe Sakic wandered the halls, and Dave Nonis was a classmate. He was so friendly and polite I had no idea he was a serious jock.

As for Dorsett....eeeeee neck surgery. He really should stop.

We make fun of that guy, but at least he forechecks. Maybe this means a long look at the Megnas and Chaputs of the system, or do we go and get Evander? Man, I hope not
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Topper wrote:
Iceman2014 wrote:
RoyalDude wrote:
Uncle dans leg wrote:

a blunt statement
If you mistake lighting plants on fire and breathing "doing drugs" then yes...quite blunt indeed
If you need air...call it in
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Kenji wrote:

Burnaby North was quite NHL rich at the time. A young Joe Sakic wandered the halls, and Dave Nonis was a classmate.
A young leg was also wandering those same halls...
If you need air...call it in
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

Pretty sure that at 5'8 and 165 pounds (...measured), Ronning knew he needed every possible advantage to make it in the NHL. And unlike your Ricky Williams and Marshawn Lynches, he probably didn't consider weed to be a performance-enhancing drug!

Willie Mitchell had a cool story behind his gigantic stick. He came into the league with Ronning on the Wild, and Cliff was constantly tinkering with his blades to get even the slightest shred of an advantage. Ronning had dozens of sticks at the practice facility and he's the guy who convinced Willie to go with the biggest stick possible.

And a great defensive defenseman (and many many awful jokes about Willie's huge stick) was born.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Boeser invited to USA junior camp. He has been out of the lineup for two weeks with an upper body injury but is expected to be fully recovered for the tournament. While out of the line up he has been following the Canucks and in particular his buddy Stetcher. When asked about it he says it has made him so excited at the prospect of turning pro and joining Troy in Vancouver. :D
The only HW the Canucks need
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

:D :D A good thing.
"evolution"
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Hockey Widow wrote:Boeser invited to USA junior camp. He has been out of the lineup for two weeks with an upper body injury but is expected to be fully recovered for the tournament. While out of the line up he has been following the Canucks and in particular his buddy Stetcher. When asked about it he says it has made him so excited at the prospect of turning pro and joining Troy in Vancouver. :D
Apparently it's a hand/wrist injury.

The Nolan Patrick camp turned down the WJC's. Not good, if you are a tank team. Sounds like a similar injury problem to what Tyler Benson went through last year. Still wouldn't blink an eye if I was drafting 1st overall, but it's a real bummer. Him and Dubious on Team Canada would have been nice to watch. Hoping that Brisebios makes the final cut.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

RoyalDude wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote:Boeser invited to USA junior camp. He has been out of the lineup for two weeks with an upper body injury but is expected to be fully recovered for the tournament. While out of the line up he has been following the Canucks and in particular his buddy Stetcher. When asked about it he says it has made him so excited at the prospect of turning pro and joining Troy in Vancouver. :D
Apparently it's a hand/wrist injury.

The Nolan Patrick camp turned down the WJC's. Not good, if you are a tank team. Sounds like a similar injury problem to what Tyler Benson went through last year. Still wouldn't blink an eye if I was drafting 1st overall, but it's a real bummer. Him and Dubious on Team Canada would have been nice to watch. Hoping that Brisebios makes the final cut.
Good to hear about Boeser!

As for the Patrick injury that could help a smidgen, cause if he slides even one or two spots like Galchenyuk(sp) did thanks to his injury pre-draft, could bode well for us if we don't get 1st oa.

Good ol' hindsight...
Entering the 2011-2012 OHL Season, Alex Galchenyuk and Nail Yakupov were coming off tremendous rookie seasons scoring 83 and 101 points, respectively. The freshmen duo were both named to the OHL’s 1st All-Rookie Team and shared team rookie of the year honours last season.

Coming into their draft season, Galchenyuk was expected to challenge his teammate Nail Yakupov for the first overall selection in the 2012 NHL Entry Draft before banging up his knee. Depending on if teams were paying attention last season during their visits to Sarnia’s RBC Centre there is a very good chance that most NHL teams did their homework and understands the potential that Alex Galchenyuk possesses. The knee injury has likely kyboshed Galchenyuk’s hopes of unseating Yakupov as the top NHL pick but ‘Gally’ is still a candidate to become a potential Top 10 NHL Draft pick. The 2012 NHL draft class has had an opportunity to pass Galchenyuk in the rankings but it has not looked like many players have improved their stock enough to surpass the Galchenyuk at this point.

The Sarnia Sting have missed Galchenyuk’s presence and some might say he’s even more valuable to their success than Nail Yakupov provided everything he does for the team.

http://www.dobberhockey.com/hockey-home ... e-unknown/
Glad the oilers picked yak. :o
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

Under a team like Detroit Yak would succeed, let's not reference anything coming out of the Oilers as they a crappy method for player development.