Canucks News and Notes 2016/17

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Re: Canucks News and Notes 2016/17

Post by Hockey Widow »

I think the primary reason Stetcher was sent to Utica was so that Larsen could be given every opportunity to succeed here. All while Stetcher gets top four minutes while adjusting to the rigours of the NHL. But I also think it won't be too long a leash. So Larsen will be under a microscope of sorts.
The only HW the Canucks need
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

So:

trekonor
barts grans virts
gauncy suts hans
dorsy horvat burs
13th man skillzy

Seems like they want to try out Granlund in a more prominent role, as at this point he's the 2nd best playmaking center after Henrik, meh doesn't hurt to try for a bit, as Horvat was trying to be too fancy, while Grans was setting up nice plays for Bart and Rodin all preseason.

In the end I think Granlund ends up on wing beside Sutter Hansen.

Baert - Horvat - Virts.

Dorsett - Gaunce - Burrows.

Can't wait till Rodin is 100%.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

Granlund-Sutter-Hansen - that would put a left-handed faceoff man with a right-handed faceoff man on the same line.

Hopefully Gaunce can hold his own as the #4 C.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Jake does look like he needs a month to condition his body better but the thing is, his style of game is what we lack.
Tough, gritty winger that can score.
Not easy to come by. Hope Jake can do it "with self-control". I know it's in him, just don't take retaliation penalties.
"evolution"
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

ESQ wrote:Granlund-Sutter-Hansen - that would put a left-handed faceoff man with a right-handed faceoff man on the same line.

Hopefully Gaunce can hold his own as the #4 C.
left/right F/O guys on the same line, what you want for key moments in a deciding game.

Gaunce seems like the perfect #4C for now, in time probably over qualified for that role.

Interesting tidbit about Skille with the Avs last season.
http://milehighsticking.com/2016/05/22/ ... ll-return/
Jack Skille was never meant to be a big numbers guy, so his 14 points (8 goals, 6 assists) aren’t really an issue. This was a player who averaged under nine minutes of ice time per game since he skated almost exclusively on the fourth line.

Nor was Skille meant to be a strictly energy player. He’s a compact 6-foot-1, 216 pounds and gritty, but not exactly an enforcer. No, what the Colorado Avalanche were looking for in Jack was what The Hockey News described:

“Never takes a shift off and wears his heart on his sleeve.”

In other words, the team wanted a workhorse, the kind of character guy who could be a good role model for the young core players.

Jack Skille certainly started out delivering that kind of play. Even in the tough starting games with the Colorado Avalanche, Skille provided all the energy and work ethic that had gotten him a job with the team. He wasn’t a huge difference-maker, but, like I said, he was never meant to be.

Unfortunately, Skille got derailed like so many hockey players do — with a concussion. He ended up missing five games in February. Again, as sometimes happens with players dealing with head injuries, Skille wasn’t quite the same afterward. He earned only one point — an assist — in 15 games. That’s a little low even for an energy player.

By the end of the season, Skille, like most of the team, seemed pretty invisible. I don’t know if he was part of the locker room issues that heralded the final implosion or if he was just a victim of it.

Secondly, Skille appears to be a good locker room guy. He’s the sort of character guy who has no problem supporting the big talent on the team.

Finally, he fits enough of the Avalanche mold — big, gritty, speedy two-way players with leadership — to justify giving him another two-way contract. After all, it would be easy to slot him into the fourth line again or even keep him as the 13th forward.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

I really enjoyed watching Skille and Labate. I like energy guys, the ones that have to work hard, know it, and do it, to stay in the NHL. He will go through patches were his intensity isn't there, normal season stuff. But outside of Dorsett he seems to be the only guy up front that will step up to protect his teammates.

We have gotten bigger in the backend but up front we are still flying light.

Good for Benning waiving Etem. I want the guy to succeed, as I do all Canucks, but he is a notorious camp bust and this season that didn't change. One of the knocks on him in Anaheim and New York was his near invisibility at every camp. But we know if we have injuries he can at least step into a fourth line role.

I'm excited about the emergence of Granlund and always thought he was horribly wasted on the 4th line. I like that they are trying to find a more offensive role for him. The guy is sound defensively, can kill penalties and if he can keep this up, he should be able to help spark some offence.

Gudbranson not practicing today. He did skate but left before practice. Canucks saying maintenance and he's good to go before our first game. Hopefully that's all it is.
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

All pretty much as it should be!

Jake gets a shot because Rodin isn't 100%, hopefully he can prove his worth. If not he can be sent down easily!

Get Biega his 19 or 29 or whatever games. Same with Sbisa. The placeholder's time is getting very limited with the likes of Tryamkin, Stecher, and Pedan pushing them.

Put up or go to Vegas and try your luck!
Mr.Miyagi
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Mr.Miyagi »

Glad to see Etem waived as well. Jensen getting waived in New York made the aesthetics look alot better for sure.

Gaunce earned his spot. Unlike McCann and Virtanen last year, IMO, he wasn't gifted a spot on reputation. This, I like to see.

Haven't watched much preseason so Skille is still a bit of a mystery to me. I'll reserve my judgement for opening night.

On an unrelated note, looks like TSN is joining the masses with their prediction for the Canucks.

http://www.tsn.ca/talent/31-bold-predic ... n-1.583131
29. Buckle up: the Canucks will fail to break 65 points, giving them the most ping-pong balls in the bid for Brandon Wheat Kings phenom Nolan Patrick. A sputtering forward core and shaky backend will be a lethal combination for Vancouver, who will look to flip pending free agent Ryan Miller to a contender in the second half.
Motivation. Let's prove em' wrong.
In Okinawa, all Miyagi know two things: hockey and karate.
Lancer
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Lancer »

Gaunce was a no-brainer IMO. Kid deserves to be there and he gives WD flexibility at 4th C between Gaunce and Granlund.

Ruuttu, he showed more than Etem but no real loss in letting him go.

Etem... Benning did the right thing and rewarded youngsters who out-performed (ie-Gaunce) Hopefully Green can mould him into shape.

Skille, he earned his contract at camp. Seems like a good, character, 4th line guy - kinda what management hoped Prust would be before they realized he was a broken toy.

Virtanen, hopefully he plays well enough that management has the luxury of letting Rodin rehab as long as it takes for him to be 100%. If we saw Rodin at 70-80% this camp, then he'll be worth the wait till he's 100%. At that point we'll see who really translated their camp to the season.

Not sure whether to be concerned about a guy under 25 years old needing a 'maintenance day' before the season starts. Hope this isn't going to be a recurring thing for Gudbranson.
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

Lancer wrote:Gaunce was a no-brainer IMO. Kid deserves to be there and he gives WD flexibility at 4th C between Gaunce and Granlund.
So is Gaunce playing on the line twice??
Gaunce-Gaunce-Grandlund??
he is AMAZEBALLS!!!!
Ruuttu, he showed more than Etem but no real loss in letting him go.
And Etem didn't make it either. Makes it a good call.

Prust would be before they realized he was a broken toy.
not to put too fine a point on this, but Prust got hurt AFTER we got him.. not like we acquired a broken asset..
in fact, we traded a guy who later cleared waivers for him.. At the time, we traded a human that would never make it with us for a guy who might help the 4th line.
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

One would think that because the season is starting roughly 10 days late, they could have set the priority waiver selection, based on last year, to November 10th, but no, it's still Nov.1st. No biggy I guess.
Actually I've always thought the last year's placement should be good till about December 15th or so and then switch to the current year's standings...
"evolution"
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Canucks 23 man roster set as the season begins today. They have formally placed Etem on waivers this morning and have finalized what is believed to be a one year one way deal with Skille. ONCE Etem either clears or is claimed, 12 noon tomorrow, they can officially sign Skille. Look for that announcement early tomorrow.

WD says Skille will be carried as the 13th forward. They did not keep Gaunce and Virtanen in Vancouver to be the 13th forward. Which also partially explains why Etem was waived. He needs to play and carrying him as the 13th forward helps neither Etem or the Canucks.

Rodin officially placed on IR which is what allows them to carry that extra player right now. When he is ready to go they could opt to assign him on a conditioning stint in Utica if they want to 1) make sure he is good to go 2) get him into game shape 3) allow more time to assess Virtanen.

I still think, barring an amazing start to the season, Virtanen is the odd man out. Simply because they do not want their kids as the 13th forward, they want them playing. If Virtanen steps up it could be a difficult decision but they could waive Skille I guess which would undoubtably be the popular fan choice.
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

Is the NHL trying to hurt people ffs. We don't play for a week after our last preseason game. Our first game is against the flames on Saturday, who happen to play on Friday also... but they also play on Thursday. Then we play 9 games in 15 days... who makes that shit happen???
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
Tciso
MVP
MVP

Post by Tciso »

rats19 wrote:Is the NHL trying to hurt people ffs. We don't play for a week after our last preseason game. Our first game is against the flames on Saturday, who happen to play on Friday also... but they also play on Thursday. Then we play 9 games in 15 days... who makes that shit happen???
Write the game matchups onto cards. Throw all the cards on the floor, and let monkeys pick them at random. That is how they make the schedule. It also explains why there is so much poo flung by Bettman.
The Cup is soooooo ours!!!!!!!
Lancer
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Lancer »

Anaheim claims Etem off waivers. Back to familiar territory for him.

http://theprovince.com/sports/hockey/nh ... heim-ducks

Not like he provided much, and even the thought of pissing away a 1st round pick like Jensen for him doesn't sting much - where is Jensen these days??

What does concern me is the forward depth - looking at Utica's forwards, it's Joe Labate (who, admittedly, had a good camp) and... Michael Carcone??? Cole Cassels??

Benning has his spares already in Vancouver, but lord help him if any top-6 guys get hurt.
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.