Canucks News and Notes 2016/17

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Re: Canucks News and Notes 2016/17

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Linc wrote:I heard Farhan Lalji say it on TSN and Murphy is also reporting that Juloevi at 200lbs. The kid is 6'3". Looking forward to his development with the Canucks
Promising, if true. But keep in mind some of these guys will drop that muscle as the season rolls on and they can't be in the gym as often.

If we have an Olli Maata clone that would be great, but I do hope people aren't expecting an impact player to show up at camp.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:
micky107 wrote:Juolevi, apparently, has just shown up tipping the scales at a little over 200 Lbs.

Source ??

If so he's got 25 pounds on Brandon Sutter
Benning today on SN

"Juolevi just arrived for our development camp and he weighed in at 200 pounds. A year ago, he was 183; he added 17 pounds of muscle. He had to get stronger to compete at the NHL level and he has. If he comes in and is so good we have to trade someone to make room for him, that’s a good problem to have. It’s a problem I look forward to."
The only HW the Canucks need
Diehard1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Diehard1 »

Hockey Widow wrote:
Blob Mckenzie wrote:
micky107 wrote:Juolevi, apparently, has just shown up tipping the scales at a little over 200 Lbs.

Source ??

If so he's got 25 pounds on Brandon Sutter
Benning today on SN

"Juolevi just arrived for our development camp and he weighed in at 200 pounds. A year ago, he was 183; he added 17 pounds of muscle. He had to get stronger to compete at the NHL level and he has. If he comes in and is so good we have to trade someone to make room for him, that’s a good problem to have. It’s a problem I look forward to."
Agree with Benning here - it's a good problem to have. My guess is Olli makes the team and one of Hutton or Wiercioch will be gone, no idea what for. Olli is one of the smartest players you will see, makes very few mistakes.

At forward I have a hard time seeing any kids save Boeser making the team. Utica should also get guys like Chaput, Gaunce and maybe Megna, or perhaps a guy like Burmistrov goes down. Regardless they should have some decent scorers this year.

Still don't see the Nucks being much better next year but at least there's now a chance that they could be.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Diehard1 wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote:
Benning today on SN

Agree with Benning here - it's a good problem to have. My guess is Olli makes the team and one of Hutton or Wiercioch will be gone, no idea what for. Olli is one of the smartest players you will see, makes very few mistakes.
Well Rick was saying in April about Juolevi' commitment to working out.
Apr 19 - Rick Dhaliwal‏:
Juolevi says he will take some time off and there's a chance he will be in VAN to work out with the #Canucks strength guy next month
May 5 - Rick Dhaliwal‏:
Juolevi will be in Vancouver this month to work out with the #Canucks training staff.
Juolevi obviously knew he had to hit at least 200lbs so I guess that's where he's at now, hopefully he can get to a solid 205lbs 210lbs by September, which is what some successful 6'3 Euro NHL Dmen are playing at.

But also work on a more explosive first step, so he can have the strength and speed for the NHL.

Should be a interesting camp for the first time in a long time, especially with a new coaching crew at the helm.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

A note on today's signings. No trade protection handed out. Add to that in three years both Sutter and Eriksson move to modified trade clauses. That's a long time still to keep restocking the cupboards and transitioning in a new core.

I doubt Benning is done. I can see a trade or two around camp. Maybe sooner as teams needing help on D start to panic.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Fookin hell, all year we had to put up with the greasy Sicilian - Roberto Macenzzi and his constant shite "Juolevi is a string bean"! Juolevi 6'-3" 200 lbs. is Macenzzi's legitimacy, or should I say, lack thereof, now fully realized? He's a clown!
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Hockey Widow wrote:A note on today's signings. No trade protection handed out.
Good news - gotta like the flexibility we'll have with the new placeholders. :D
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
nuckster
MVP
MVP

Post by nuckster »

Gotta say, I'm impressed with Benning and staff in how they've operated in the trade deadline this year as well as the entry draft and today's free agent opening! It's all making sense to me now. Last year? Not so much.

I don't get how this shit head on tsn rates the Canucks as losers today - some frikin stupid. He said, " I don't understand why Benning would go out an get all these players to support the Sedins... if they think theyre going to make the playoffs, it's not going to happen." Well holy shit batman, get out of Toronto much?

Benning acquired some depth today which enables him to ease in the rookies when they're ready to be in the big show, and not before. Also, we should have an increased level of offensive production which makes for a more entertaining product on the ice. So i dont need to rattle off and preach to the converted...there is a method to the madness so-to-speak.... a grand design is actually emerging. But TSN - wtf?.
cc oldtimer
DonCherry4PM
MVP
MVP

Post by DonCherry4PM »

Cornuck wrote:
I'd definitely give JB a strong grade report for the day with a slight qualification that I am still not really sure what I think about Gagner (another slight guy, but good setup guy with soft hands). Very stoked that no more trade protection is on the books and that the terms are all relatively short. Much improved from the Ericsson and Sutter contracts.

Maybe I'm overly hopeful on the progress of the developing kids, but somewhat concerned about whether this will stop youth from coming in (in the event that they actually deserve to be in the bigs). I guess it's much better to have the problem of too many capable players to fill spaces, rather than forcing unready youth into those spaces.

Interested to see if the roster as it stands is what we will see going into September or whether some more moves/signings will take place.
Invincibility lies in oneself.
Vincibility lies in the enemy.

- Sun Tzu
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

DonCherry4PM wrote:
Cornuck wrote:
I'd definitely give JB a strong grade report for the day with a slight qualification that I am still not really sure what I think about Gagner (another slight guy, but good setup guy with soft hands). Very stoked that no more trade protection is on the books and that the terms are all relatively short. Much improved from the Ericsson and Sutter contracts.

Maybe I'm overly hopeful on the progress of the developing kids, but somewhat concerned about whether this will stop youth from coming in (in the event that they actually deserve to be in the bigs). I guess it's much better to have the problem of too many capable players to fill spaces, rather than forcing unready youth into those spaces.

Interested to see if the roster as it stands is what we will see going into September or whether some more moves/signings will take place.

All these signings cost us is cap. If Benning needs to clear a roster spot he can waive anyone of them, if they clear Utica gets an upgrade, if they are plucked, no loss.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

We improved our depth and over-all talent pool. Definitely created more options moving forward.
Still think we need more team toughness.
I know a good part of that is the way a team is coached and a mind set, but forgive my barbarism, we need a couple willing to crunch AND fight when need be.
To think Dorsette can be that guy after serious neck surgery is, well lets just say he probably can never and should never partake in such dances anymore.
"evolution"
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

DonCherry4PM wrote:
Cornuck wrote:

Me 2 Cherry

Not saying they (young guys) should be guranteed a spot but for those that should get a shot will have a tougher time to make the team. I still like the pick ups and no 2nds to get them. Most of the players today are better than Vey.
griz
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by griz »

nuckster wrote:I don't get how this shit head on tsn rates the Canucks as losers today - some frikin stupid. He said, " I don't understand why Benning would go out an get all these players to support the Sedins... if they think theyre going to make the playoffs, it's not going to happen." Well holy shit batman, get out of Toronto much?

... But TSN - wtf?.
No shit, I caught that too. I think he didn't do his homework and just assumed it's the Canucks so they must suck. His expression might have fit a couple of years ago when the rebuild hadn't officially started. Get with it TSN.
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

griz wrote:
nuckster wrote:I don't get how this shit head on tsn rates the Canucks as losers today - some frikin stupid. He said, " I don't understand why Benning would go out an get all these players to support the Sedins... if they think theyre going to make the playoffs, it's not going to happen." Well holy shit batman, get out of Toronto much?

... But TSN - wtf?.
No shit, I caught that too. I think he didn't do his homework and just assumed it's the Canucks so they must suck. His expression might have fit a couple of years ago when the rebuild hadn't officially started. Get with it TSN.
O'Niel is the same eastern bag licker that said (before the 2016 draft lottery) 'the only thing worse than buffalo winning the Mathews (draft) lottery would be Vancouver'.. and he said it with disdain and contempt. Another example of true non- bias eastern bag licking media.

Of course he has no idea what's happening around the league. He never leaves the Center of the universe.
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Accept it, the Canadian Hockey media outside of BC hates the Canucks. O'Neill is as bad as Cox at trying to hide their disdain for Vancouver
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau