Canucks News and Notes 2016/17

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Re: Canucks News and Notes 2016/17

Post by Hockey Widow »

Tanev and Stetcher back on the ice. Gudbranson and Baertschi skated ahead of practice. Sbisa back, had stomach flu but is good to go.

Trymakin, Chaput and Granlund still not skating.

No new mumps cases today. Most of the team cleared now. Worst seems to be over.
The only HW the Canucks need
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Hockey Widow wrote:Tanev and Stetcher back on the ice. Gudbranson and Baertschi skated ahead of practice. Sbisa back, had stomach flu but is good to go.

Trymakin, Chaput and Granlund still not skating.

No new mumps cases today. Most of the team cleared now. Worst seems to be over.
OK, good, now Benning can blow up the team. :lol:
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Just wondering, if, with the departure of Alex Burrows, does this mean that Bo Horvat might get to wear an "A", sometime soon?
How about next game?
"evolution"
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Columbus makes it official, they give up this year's second for the Torts signing.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Benning on TSN:

Had been talking to Ottawa about Burrows for 3-4 days.

Had a lot of teams call about Burrows.

Benning came to work today and Burrows said he had thought about the move to Ottawa and agreed to waive. Deal got done pretty fast after that. Doesn't think the extension played into the Burrows decision as no other team was offering one. Burrows choose Ottawa for a variety of reasons.

The Canucks talked about signing Burrows after July 1 and not trading him this year. In the end they got a player they really like. Raved about the value Burrows brings to the dressing room and how that will be missed.

Dahlen was a player they wanted last year but could not get a second round pick. If they had a pick likely would have drafted him, depending upon where it was. Will work on getting his ELC signed and get him over to NA. Thinks he needs time in the AHL but we'll see what he shows. Room on the Canucks if he shows he's ready but cautions he still needs to develop. Likes that he is 1-2 years ahead in development compared to a 2nd in this year's draft. Fits in well age wise and development wise with a number of prospects. Sees him as a top six.

The Bishop deal did take one team out of the Miller market. Still has interest from a couple of teams but there really isn't a market for a number one goalie right now. Not sure if a deal will get done. If Miller is a FA come July 1 the team for sure would look at bringing him back.

A lot of interest on Hansen.

Not done dealing. A lot of phone calls yet to be made still today and tomorrow.

Waiting for blood tests on two forwards to see if they have the mumps. Won't get those until tomorrow. Will be calling up a forward from Utica today to be on hand just in case. Didn't specify who.

The mumps has not deterred other GMs. Yes, they bring it up but the Canucks have made their team doctors available for other teams to call and discuss the situation. As was the case with a Burrows, Ottawa team doctors did call Canuck team doctors to do their due dillegence.

Can't predict whether other trades will happen but is working the phones and has interest. Teams also still inquiring about D but he hinted that might be best done after the season, maybe before the expansion draft. A lot of teams still struggling with compliance issues.
Calgary_Canuck
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Calgary_Canuck »

I just want to comment on Ray Ferraro. He is probably my favorite hockey analyst. I'm not sure if you guys like him, but I like his honest candor. He's recent comment on Jonathan Dahlen hit's it on the head. He stated these are the deals the Canucks need to do.

Who knows if this guy pans out, believe me I want him to but who knows.

The Canucks need prospects who can turn into Jonathan Toews or Patrick Kane, or at least a version of them.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Hockey Widow wrote:Columbus makes it official, they give up this year's second for the Torts signing.
Awesome

So who gets the credit for this? Gillis for hiring him or Linden for firing him? This needs a round table discussion between Chef Boi RD, Bubbles and IslandFarms for sure
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

RoyalDude wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote:Columbus makes it official, they give up this year's second for the Torts signing.
Awesome

So who gets the credit for this? Gillis for hiring him or Linden for firing him? This needs a round table discussion between Chef Boi RD, Bubbles and IslandFarms for sure
The trannies at the Astoria
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

RoyalDude wrote:
Awesome

The NHL for allowing such a silly rule to exist for so long. The Canucks should've had a staff of 40 coaches.
Zamboni Driver
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Zamboni Driver »

Cherry Picker wrote:Lesser Bro
Granlund, Kariya, Federov, Subban, Sutter twins

Better Bro
Bure, Tanev

Both Bro
Sedins, Courtnals

Bro Record 6-2-2
What about Koivu's?
Zamboni Driver
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Zamboni Driver »

RoyalDude wrote:
Awesome

Can we get a first rounder for the 'stach? :lol:
Cherry Picker
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Cherry Picker »

Zamboni Driver wrote:
Cherry Picker wrote:Lesser Bro
Granlund, Kariya, Federov, Subban, Sutter twins

Better Bro
Bure, Tanev

Both Bro
Sedins, Courtnals

Bro Record 6-2-2
What about Koivu's?
Don't think we ever had a Koivu on the Canucks. But I did forget the Ruutu Bros. Jarko was less skilled than his brother, but he was such a troll, a total asshole, so we definitely had the better bro there. Asshole count for double. So the record should be 6-3-2.
We are all Snidely Whiplash.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Interesting comments from Benning after the Hansen trade. He was asked how he addresses the twins and get them on board with this new direction. He said they sat down with the twins after the Burrows trade and explained what the organization wanted to do, and they are excited to be here to help usher in the next core.

But then he was asked if this new direction of rebuilding was something the fans could expect throughout next season. And he said, ya, I've been a paitient guy with this group and it's time to move some players out and get our next group more playing time in the NHL to help their development so we can be ready to compete down the road (Doc would say 2-3 years) . He said they still have some work to do but it's time.

He also said he's not finished this TDD. He has until noon our time and he still has some deals on the table and phone calls to make but isn't sure if anything else will get done. Would like to make a few more moves if he can.

His preference so far has been prospects further along in their development because we need scoring now but now that he has added Goldobin and Dahlen he is receptive to adding more picks. Thinks we are fine in net and on D so is still pushing for skilled forwards or picks.

Re Goldobin, they had a chance to select him instead of McCann but at the time wanted a centre more than a winger. But they had scouted him and he was on their list. Somewhat of a toss up but position won out. Feels he has worked hard on his two way game while not sacraficing scoring. He will join the Canucks in SJS and likely stay for the rest of the season.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Hockey Widow wrote:Interesting comments from Benning after the Hansen trade. He was asked how he addresses the twins and get them on board with this new direction. He said they sat down with the twins after the Burrows trade and explained what the organization wanted to do, and they are excited to be here to help usher in the next core.

But then he was asked if this new direction of rebuilding was something the fans could expect throughout next season. And he said, ya, I've been a paitient guy with this group and it's time to move some players out and get our next group more playing time in the NHL to help their development so we can be ready to compete down the road (Doc would say 2-3 years) . He said they still have some work to do but it's time.
I can only imagine the Sedins reaction being something like "they're finally realizing what we've known in the room for the past two seasons."

This epiphany is maybe 18 months late, but better late than never.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Island Nucklehead wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote:Interesting comments from Benning after the Hansen trade. He was asked how he addresses the twins and get them on board with this new direction. He said they sat down with the twins after the Burrows trade and explained what the organization wanted to do, and they are excited to be here to help usher in the next core.

I can only imagine the Sedins reaction being something like "they're finally realizing what we've known in the room for the past two seasons."

This epiphany is maybe 18 months late, but better late than never.
Still think that's being unfair. In those 18 months look at the turnover. All Benning did since Monday was trade two players. He's been turning it over since he got here. Now it's on it's last legs and people say finally. It's been a work in progress.

He had a lot of NTC to deal with. And he dealt with them all, well most of them. I don't see it as a big change as much as the final straw.