Canucks News and Notes 2016/17

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Re: Canucks News and Notes 2016/17

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Reefer2 wrote:So we are giving him excuses, does he a free year to adjust.

At $6M he shouldn't have any excuse?

Wrong player to sign on this team.
Definitely the wrong player for a bottom feeder. The length of contract is absurd for a declining player. That said he has a retard for a coach so I don't think I pin this seasons poor performance entirely on Louis. He has been set up to fail from day one. But this is going to be a boat anchor sooner or later if isn't already.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Did you copy/paste this post from when after Ryan Miller signed?
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
vic
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by vic »

dangler wrote: A new coach should be in the cards IMHO.
The fact they haven't already made a move leads me to believe they are targeting an associate who is currently with another team. My best guess is Crawford.

Willie survived that shit show in Carolina, with Gallant available. Julien and Hitchcock were both let go and nothing. Hartley has been kicking around all year.

If Willie is back next year, ownership needs to step in and get rid of whoever is making the call on the coach, whether it's Benning, Linden or both.
Tanti09
CC Veteran

Post by Tanti09 »

Don't worry, Benning is saving the "fire Willie" card for when the heat from ownership comes down on him. He knows he can survive the next few weeks as long as he does something at the deadline and will call an airport cab for Willie at season's end. Should buy him some time over summer and next year to hopefully get something in line with the team. Hitchcock will be coaching this team come the 2017-18 season.
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

SKYO wrote:

2 different players with 2 different situations.

LE was a horrible pick up for this team right now.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Tanti09 wrote:Don't worry, Benning is saving the "fire Willie" card for when the heat from ownership comes down on him. He knows he can survive the next few weeks as long as he does something at the deadline and will call an airport cab for Willie at season's end. Should buy him some time over summer and next year to hopefully get something in line with the team. Hitchcock will be coaching this team come the 2017-18 season.

Hitchcock announced he was retiring at the end of this season. He was quitting coaching. If he stays in the game it will be in an advisor type capacity. I think anyway. Allowing WD to finish out the season allows the team to find another role for him in the organization, if they and he want that. Green is next in line but Benning may want a coach with NHL experience.
The only HW the Canucks need
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Reefer2 wrote:
SKYO wrote:

My post was gold pony boy! LE will pick it up just when the team needs a player of his caliber within the next coupla years.

My point was you hated Miller and his contract but he's been a rock in net earning his keep, same will hold true for LE, he's been a notorious slow starter in first year of a new team.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Hockey Widow wrote:
Tanti09 wrote:Don't worry, Benning is saving the "fire Willie" card for when the heat from ownership comes down on him. He knows he can survive the next few weeks as long as he does something at the deadline and will call an airport cab for Willie at season's end. Should buy him some time over summer and next year to hopefully get something in line with the team. Hitchcock will be coaching this team come the 2017-18 season.

Hitchcock announced he was retiring at the end of this season. He was quitting coaching. If he stays in the game it will be in an advisor type capacity. I think anyway. Allowing WD to finish out the season allows the team to find another role for him in the organization, if they and he want that. Green is next in line but Benning may want a coach with NHL experience.
Yeah I think they will look for a coach that has solid pro experience, not another rookie NHL coach unless Green blows em away in the job interview. It's almost 100% guaranteed the team will bring in a new coach for next season, along with having a much younger team that's bigger/stronger and heck even new uniforms with the Adidas deal! :o

Team should be much more entertaining next year with Boeser, Virtanen and hopefully a new power forward LW.
5thhorseman
MVP
MVP

Post by 5thhorseman »

SKYO wrote:My post was gold pony boy! LE will pick it up just when the team needs a player of his caliber within the next coupla years.

My point was you hated Miller and his contract but he's been a rock in net earning his keep, same will hold true for LE, he's been a notorious slow starter in first year of a new team.
Holy fuck save that post for later regurgitation lol. Someone's gunna get all Strangelove on yo ass, haha! Agree on the coach though; need to get serious, someone with proper NHL-level experience
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

dangler wrote: But the real kicker for me is WTF do they do with Erikson? The guy has mailed it in all season ,scoreless in 41 of 60 games and has no defense and by the body language looks like he could care less. With a no trade clause, WTF do you do with a guy like that?
Yeah, Eriksson was supposed to be the guy to help jump start the Sedins again and he was supposed to rack up some goals with them. It has failed miserably and Eriksson has been on the 3rd line most of the season playing with Sutter-Granlund. He's currently sitting @ 11Gs and that just doesn't cut it for a $6 million dollar man. He's supposed to be a solid defensive player, but I'd say he has been pretty average there at best. He's basically playing like a guy who hit his jackpot grand slam home run deal, so why give a shit any more? Why pay the price and sacrifice his body to fight through checks, battle in corners and take a beating to score goals?

If it were up to me, I wouldn't mind leaving him exposed in the expansion draft, but not sure we're allowed to do that with his no-trade clause. We'll probably buy him out in a couple years. Oh well, JB sure luvs burning Aqua-man's money. :lol:
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

SKYO wrote:
Reefer2 wrote:
SKYO wrote:

My post was gold pony boy! LE will pick it up just when the team needs a player of his caliber within the next coupla years.

Miller has been a pebble.

Yes he has been good, he also has been great infact so great we get to pick higher instead of lower and really building for the future. I'm all for Docs wait 2-3 years because by then this team will for sure be drafting top 2 unless we play a full on trap game.

We have no other forwards other than Horvat who is top line material. They can trade a D man which is the only option they have. All the prospects they have are just that a prospect and we all hope and pray 1-2 become legit top 6.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Todd Bersnoozi wrote: If it were up to me, I wouldn't mind leaving him exposed in the expansion draft, but not sure we're allowed to do that with his no-trade clause.
I've been meaning to mention the possibility of Canucks asking Louie to waive his NMC.

Other NMC-clause players are being asked to waive their NMCs, why not Louie?

Vegas won't want to take on a massively front-loaded contract, especially after a bad season.

If Louie waives, Canucks get to protect another forward, just an idea...
____
Try to focus on someday.
Zamboni Driver
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Zamboni Driver »

Mëds wrote:Interesting article.

After reading this it's hard not to argue that the best outcome for the long-term benefit of this team, and its fans, would be going no better than 2-4-0 on this road trip.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/meas ... ine-plans/
That was quite a prediction!
Got the crystal ball I guess
griz
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by griz »

Strangelove wrote:
Todd Bersnoozi wrote: If it were up to me, I wouldn't mind leaving him exposed in the expansion draft, but not sure we're allowed to do that with his no-trade clause.
I've been meaning to mention the possibility of Canucks asking Louie to waive his NMC.

Other NMC-clause players are being asked to waive their NMCs, why not Louie?

Vegas won't want to take on a massively front-loaded contract, especially after a bad season.

If Louie waives, Canucks get to protect another forward, just an idea...
Very smart but Louie would have to trust JB and hope Vegas doesn't take him despite the contract.
Tanti09
CC Veteran

Post by Tanti09 »

Hockey Widow wrote:

I think Hitch would "come out of retirement" to coach the Canucks on a 3 year contract. Always been keen to coach a Western Canadian club and the opportunity could present itself. But if the Flames miss playoffs and fire Gulutzan then there could be an opening there as well. Pretty sure that Green's lustre has been diminished with the Comets uninspiring play this year. Mind you, it's not like he's got a lot to work with down there. Don't think we see Green in Vancouver next year, but ya never know.