Canucks News and Notes 2016/17

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Re: Canucks News and Notes 2016/17

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:Yeah I guess they can't sign EG to an extension yet. That said the rest of my point stands. Benning is like a crack head when it comes to making trades, yet with his team in the toilet he has made none ?? Furthermore other GMs really ,really like dealing with Elmer. The fact that there have have been a half dozen guys pass through waivers and he hasn't grabbed even one is also telling. This would at least allow them to send Chaput and Megna back to Utica. I guess maybe they want The Fake to play with Wacey Hamilton . ?
Part 1 - a 2nd and a 3rd pick or Steve Bernier
Part 2 - a 1st round pick, a former 1st round pick in Grabner and Steve Bernier for Buyout Ballard

In the end Keith Buyout Ballard cost us two 1st round picks, a 2nd round pick, a 3rd round pick. This is what you call Asset Management.

The Gillis Legacy
Last edited by Chef Boi RD on Sat Dec 24, 2016 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Hockey Widow wrote:It's just Blob's turn to be contrary this year folks. Dude did it so well for 2-3 years he's now a cheerleader. Refreshing change but predictable :mrgreen:

As for trades, Blob really doesn't want Benning to be involved in trades given his history or throwing in extra picks. He also doesn't want him handling contract negotiations given his history of over paying, giving too much term.

So Blob is probably quit happy with all the inactivity.
Dude is still doing it (see: the Avalanche Routine), it's just not as good these days.

The next month or two will be telling. Hopefully Jimbo learned from last years Hamhuis/Vrbata debacle and moves earlier this time around. Gotta feel a little sympathetic for him. He's been on the losing end of several trades, and the blood is in the water around Vancouver, can't imagine he's getting many fair calls these days. I'm hoping he keeps it real simple, players for picks. If you can't get the B-level prospect added to a Hansen, don't sweat it.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Torts told us all loud and clear the team was stale and needed changing. We all knew that. We clamoured for change. Good gawd we've seen nothing but change in the 2.5 years Benning has been here. It's a f**king rebuild no matter what Linden and Benning have been calling it. The process started before the Kesler trade. Why did he want out? Because he said he was told we were going to rebuild and he wanted to win now. That was under Gillis's last season. The Torts year.

So ownership is on board and turfed MG because they didn't trust him to do the rebuild. There is nothing wrong with doing it slowly and trying, trying, to keep the fans vested. Not every move has worked out but I have yet to see a move, well other than Vey, and Prust, that really stink. I get both moves but would love do overs. Other than that, ok, Clendenning, the moves have been fine.

Drafting has been great, comparatively speaking of course. We are 2.5 years in. Rebuilds take 4-5 years. We are on course.
The only HW the Canucks need
gobi
MVP
MVP

Post by gobi »

Hockey Widow wrote:Torts told us all loud and clear the team was stale and needed changing. We all knew that. We clamoured for change. Good gawd we've seen nothing but change in the 2.5 years Benning has been here. It's a f**king rebuild no matter what Linden and Benning have been calling it. The process started before the Kesler trade. Why did he want out? Because he said he was told we were going to rebuild and he wanted to win now. That was under Gillis's last season. The Torts year.

So ownership is on board and turfed MG because they didn't trust him to do the rebuild. There is nothing wrong with doing it slowly and trying, trying, to keep the fans vested. Not every move has worked out but I have yet to see a move, well other than Vey, and Prust, that really stink. I get both moves but would love do overs. Other than that, ok, Clendenning, the moves have been fine.

Drafting has been great, comparatively speaking of course. We are 2.5 years in. Rebuilds take 4-5 years. We are on course.
Given the benefit of hindsight, would you still have drafted Virtanen? Or passed over Tkachuk?
bckev
CC Veteran

Post by bckev »

gobi wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote:Torts told us all loud and clear the team was stale and needed changing. We all knew that. We clamoured for change. Good gawd we've seen nothing but change in the 2.5 years Benning has been here. It's a f**king rebuild no matter what Linden and Benning have been calling it. The process started before the Kesler trade. Why did he want out? Because he said he was told we were going to rebuild and he wanted to win now. That was under Gillis's last season. The Torts year.

Well said. Patience will win the day. The way Benning is structuring the team when we get good we are going to be good for a long time.

Given the benefit of hindsight, would you still have drafted Virtanen? Or passed over Tkachuk?
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

NO! I WOULD HAVE RIGGED THE LOTTERY... :twisted:
easy questions.....
"evolution"
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

gobi wrote:

Don't know re Tkachuk. That one I have to wait until we get to see Juolevi.

I was never a fan of the Virtanen pick.
Iceman2014
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Iceman2014 »

micky107 wrote:NO! I WOULD HAVE RIGGED THE LOTTERY... :twisted:
easy questions.....
Rigged? Why? My faith in Benning was rocked last season after the trade deadline. Then the Canucks want to instill a winning attitude...and miss out on Auston Matthews by 6 points. 6. They could've easily lost 4 more games and it wouldn't have made a single difference....other than getting a franchise centre. I know players don't really tank but Benning could've dealt Miller and some other vets at the deadline to ensure Willie had to play the kids and go with it. How much better would you feel about the Canucks future if you had Matthews in the organization instead of Juolevi - considering the nice depth we have at D as well.

This still annoys me. :mex:
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Iceman2014 wrote:
micky107 wrote:NO! I WOULD HAVE RIGGED THE LOTTERY... :twisted:
easy questions.....
Rigged? Why? My faith in Benning was rocked last season after the trade deadline. Then the Canucks want to instill a winning attitude...and miss out on Auston Matthews by 6 points. 6. They could've easily lost 4 more games and it wouldn't have made a single difference....other than getting a franchise centre. I know players don't really tank but Benning could've dealt Miller and some other vets at the deadline to ensure Willie had to play the kids and go with it. How much better would you feel about the Canucks future if you had Matthews in the organization instead of Juolevi - considering the nice depth we have at D as well.

This still annoys me. :mex:
Bur your assuming we would have won the lottery. Maybe it was rigged?
Anyway, joking aside, dealing Miller and some other vets at the deadline was probably talked about and inquiries possibly made but I think the returns may well have been shit.
Even at that, what kids would we have played? Wasn't much in Utica at the time.
"evolution"
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Edler back at full practice. Expected to play tomorrow. D pairings at practice:

Stetcher/Edler
Tanev/Sbisa
Trymakin/Hutton.

This keeps Trymakin on the right side. I liked the Trymakin/Sbisa pairing. Not sure how well he and Hutton play together. Pushes Hutton to third pairing.

Biega and Pedan the scratches, expected anyway. Look for Pedan to be sent back to Utica soon.

Hansen not on ice. No word on the results of his MRI. He is doubtful for next game.

Rumours reigniting that Dallas is interested in acquiring either Bishop or Miller sooner rather than later. They believe their only chance to catch the playoff wave is with a significant upgrade in net.
TDA Rum
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by TDA Rum »

Bishop is injured... probably out until the All star break..
Last edited by TDA Rum on Tue Dec 27, 2016 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Maybe a change like this is what Hutton needs right mow.
He seems a bit lost and frustrated with his own mistakes.
I look forward to seeing these potential pairings..
"evolution"
okcanuck
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by okcanuck »

Hansen out 4-6 weeks
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

okcanuck wrote:Hansen out 4-6 weeks
That sucks for him. Garbage hit by Perrault. Hard luck season for the Dane but he should still have a lot of value after the expansion draft dust settles.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Hockey Widow wrote:Edler back at full practice. Expected to play tomorrow. D pairings at practice:

Stetcher/Edler
Tanev/Sbisa
Trymakin/Hutton.

This keeps Trymakin on the right side. I liked the Trymakin/Sbisa pairing. Not sure how well he and Hutton play together. Pushes Hutton to third pairing.

Biega and Pedan the scratches, expected anyway. Look for Pedan to be sent back to Utica soon.

Hansen not on ice. No word on the results of his MRI. He is doubtful for next game.

Rumours reigniting that Dallas is interested in acquiring either Bishop or Miller sooner rather than later. They believe their only chance to catch the playoff wave is with a significant upgrade in net.
Ain't happening. Trevl and Jiml are too in love with Miller
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau