Canucks News and Notes 2016/17

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Lancer
CC Hall of Fan Member

Re: Canucks News and Notes 2016/17

Post by Lancer »

Not the sexiest pick. Guy has experience and doesn't sound like a complete waste of space. This sounds like a Benning 'hire my Boston buddies' choice like Weisbrod, no matter how much or little Willie thought of the guy.

Proof's in the pudding, so we'll see how Jarvis' impact - if any - manifests itself in the team's play.
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

The guy has a ton of experience that can only help. Ever think that this pick was like a VP pick for POTUS. The most important function for the VP is being able to step in should something happen to POTUS.
The only HW the Canucks need
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Well besides his 6 Stanley Cups (4 as a player, 2 as assistant coach) here's what Jarvis been up to coaching wise lately.
But let’s talk about Jarvis the coach.

The Bruins chose to not bring back Jarvis and fellow assistant Doug Houda in May, electing to change the assistants instead of head coach Claude Julien.

In Boston, Jarvis worked a lot with their centres and their penalty killing units. If he keeps the same role with the Canucks, he’ll be working a lot with Bo Horvat. Hopefully for Horvat, some of that Selke Trophy magic will rub off on him.

Boston’s penalty kill has been generally good over Jarvis’ tenure. They finished 16th in 2010-11, and were in the top half of the league every other season, ranking as high as 4th in 2012-13.

Jarvis helped take over some of the power play duties in Boston in 2014, and the team responded with the 17th-best percentage with the man advantage in 2014-15, and 7th-best percentage last season.

Prior to joining the Bruins, he was in charge of a very successful man-advantage in Montreal. The Canadiens’ power play during Jarvis’ five years with the Habs had the following ranking: 5, 1, 1, 4, 2. Not bad.

For now, we’ll assume Jarvis takes over Glen Gulutzan’s responsibilities, although with his experience, he can slide into just about any role.
http://dailyhive.com/vancouver/canucks- ... tant-coach
Jarvis will probably help and assist Willie in all aspects of the game with all his vast knowledge and experience working in some extreme conditions in Montreal to Boston, refine a lot of things, fine tune, seems to be great with rookies development to handling all stars, be a great help in the locker room and coach/player team building.

Not to mention this should help Bo Horvat and Sutter, as Jarvis was a selke trophy winner before.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Mondi wrote:Would it surprise anyone if Vancouver acquired Zdeno Chara for a first or second round pick?

Yes, it would shock and confuse me. He is past his best used by date and not at all the age range of a player Benning has traded for.
Zedlee
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Zedlee »

Mondi wrote:Haha...was trying to make a joke.
Hold the jokes please. We're a fragile bunch us Canuck fans. We will believe anything and see doom around every corner.
Diehard1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Diehard1 »

Rumour is the Nucks are in on Tyson Barrie, along with the leaves and Oilers. Avs are rumoured to want a dman in any potential return.

Would you trade Tanev for him? I'm not sure, I probably would if pressed given they are close to the same age, but Barrie offers offense which the team doesn't have while they have solid defensive dmen. I wouldn't add anything to Tanev though, I'm not sure if the Avs make that deal or not.

Now if you could expand the deal to Barrie and Landeskog/Duchene, then you're talking. Doubt the Nucks have the assets to pull that off though.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Mondi wrote:But, if I was being more serious. If Van is close to 8th, AND Boston is out of it...only two years left on his deal. They are trying to move on from Chara...Benning undoubtedly loves him. Benning also thinks we can close to winning a cup.
Is this some kind of... joke? :eh:
____
Try to focus on someday.
BladesofSteel
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BladesofSteel »

At this stage, I think the D core is set. If Benning is dangling Tanev or Edler, he should be targeting top six skill/grit.

Barrie is an intriguing option, but do we really want the baggage that would realistically come with who his old man is?

Enough drama, please.
DonCherry4PM
MVP
MVP

Post by DonCherry4PM »

BladesofSteel wrote:At this stage, I think the D core is set. If Benning is dangling Tanev or Edler, he should be targeting top six skill/grit.

Barrie is an intriguing option, but do we really want the baggage that would realistically come with who his old man is?

Enough drama, please.

Yeah, I do think our D is set unless we can somehow get some sort of return for Sbisa. If we are trying to poach anything from the Avs I'd be looking to see what they would take for Landeskog. Probably way beyond our price range but he would definitely be a sick acquisition (depending on price of coarse).
Invincibility lies in oneself.
Vincibility lies in the enemy.

- Sun Tzu
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

I agree. Barrie for Tanev seems like a parallel move at this point.

What you gain in offense you lose in puck possession and shot suppression numbers. Tanev is also the only one who can keep Special Edler in check from doing special things.

We've seen the value of a top-pairing RHD go up like Vancity property. If I had to, I'd try to dangle the TanMan for Landeskog instead. Trading for a big, young offensive center is likely easier than drafting one.
The Best GD Canucks Hockey Talk Forum in the World... With Only 18 People!
okcanuck
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by okcanuck »

Tanev for Barrie would be a big mistake.
It would be a betrayal against Tanev who has worked his ass off to get to where he is.Hes definately a keeper.
I watched Barrie throughout his junior career, very good offensive skills, but suspect defensively.
He has some baggage as well, namely his father.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

okcanuck wrote:Tanev for Barrie would be a big mistake.
It would be a betrayal against Tanev who has worked his ass off to get to where he is.Hes definately a keeper.
I watched Barrie throughout his junior career, very good offensive skills, but suspect defensively.
He has some baggage as well, namely his father.
And, it simply doesn't improve the team anyways. Thumbs down..
"evolution"
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

Markstrom most likely will remain as a Canuck for the next few years.
NEWS 1130 Sports

Hearing the #Canucks are working away with goalie Jacob Markstrom's agent and are getting close to a contract extension.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Jovocop wrote:Markstrom most likely will remain as a Canuck for the next few years.
NEWS 1130 Sports

Hearing the #Canucks are working away with goalie Jacob Markstrom's agent and are getting close to a contract extension.
This is good news, depending upon the cap of course. The plan with Demko is at least two years in Utica, a plan he is on bird with. I for one like that plan. No point at all in rushing him to the NHL.

The Canucks still need to extend Miller or Bachman or a similar goalie so they have a goalie to expose in the expansion draft though. The goalie they expose must be RFA or under contract for 2017-2018. I'd be on board with a one year extension for Miller, of course depending upon the cap. If he doesn't get claimed we know we have good goaltending until Demko is ready to back up. If he gets claimed, he gets to move closer to LA.

Benning quietly getting it done!
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Alexis D'Aoust, Stecher, Demko and Boeser so far turning heads and impressing at prospects camp.

Boeser was asked if the plan for him was one more year at UND and then turn pro. He confirmed yes. If all goes according to plan this season he expects to sign with the Canucks next spring. Everyone can breath easy now!