Canucks 2016 Post Season Discussion

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Canucks 2016 Post Season Discussion

Post by Hockey Widow »

Seems every thread has post season discussion creep. Maybe we can try to keep it here, at least until the draft :mrgreen:

Players to address the media Monday as they clear out their locker rooms. Time to say goodbye to

Vrbata
Weber
Hamhuis ?
Higgins
Burrows?
Bartkowski ?
Vey?

Wonder if Prust shows up.

Tuesday Benning and Linden will address the media.

April 30th is the date to mark on your calendars, Draft Lottery 2016!!
The only HW the Canucks need
vic
CC Hall of Fan Member

Re: Canucks 2016 Post Season Discussion

Post by vic »

If Benning is going to go after a big fish from the UFA pool, then I can see maybe Hamuis returning.

If he's not going to break the bank on signing free agents, then I hope Burrows is back for another year.
Last edited by vic on Sun Apr 10, 2016 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Prust is at home rehabbing his ankle, excused from Utica.

All of that list can be gone and I don't care.

Laughable folks thought Verbata was a comparable to Ladd at the deadline.

Hamhuis signs a cheap FA deal in Dallas, Blobby is arrested, smeared with his own feces, cowering naked in a fetal position on Griffith's Way.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

The who comes back maybe list:

Baertschi yes
Etem probably yes
Granlund probably yes
McCann Utica or traded
Virtanen has to earn it out of camp
Rodin yes
Hansen yes
Twins yes
Horvat yes
Dorsett yes
Sutter yes

8 definitely
2 probable
2 Utica

Leaves a little room up front to add. So we have Gaunce, Grenier, Kenins, Zalewski to consider. Kenins Utica or waived. Zalewski Utica or waived. Gaunce a good shot. Grenier has to take a job.

So barring cutting lose, waiving or trading a handful on that list no roster room for Matthews or any UFA pick ups :mrgreen: :eh: :mrgreen:

Clearly a lot of work to do up front to get four lines set. One of the problems created by trading for players in their early 20's is that they all need to be protected or waived. D is another matter.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Hockey Widow wrote:The who comes back maybe list:

Baertschi yes
Etem probably yes
Granlund probably yes
McCann Utica or traded
Rodin yes
Hansen yes
Twins yes
Horvat yes
Dorsett yes
Sutter yes

8 definitely
2 probable
2 Utica
I think your close but underestimating McCann and even more on Virtanen, who I think will have a big break-out next year :)
"evolution"
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Hockey Widow wrote:The who comes back maybe list:

Baertschi yes
Etem probably yes
Granlund probably yes
McCann Utica or traded
Rodin yes
Hansen yes
Twins yes
Horvat yes
Dorsett yes
Sutter yes

8 definitely
2 probable
2 Utica

Leaves a little room up front to add. So we have Gaunce, Grenier, Kenins, Zalewski to consider. Kenins Utica or waived. Zalewski Utica or waived. Gaunce a good shot. Grenier has to take a job.
Virtanen and Etem make the cut, McCann starts the year in Utica.

Hansen and Granlund are traded to make room for 2 UFA superheroes.
____
Try to focus on someday.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Sell high. :mex:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Granlund might return a 6th or 7th pick.

I would see what teams will give up for Hansen. I like him a lot but he will be an old man by the time this thing gets turned around.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
BladesofSteel
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BladesofSteel »

Granlund isn't going anywhere. Neither is Etem. Sample size too small. Both get a training camp before a decision is made.

Jake and McCann start in the minors. Unless there's a red flag on McCann that Benning doesn't like, he won't be traded this early on. Depth at centre was a major issue this year. Therefore, keeping Granlund and McCann while picking up another Utica guy on a two-way will be important. Bo has the pedigree to withstand a trial by fire, not sure McCann or Granlund does.

Defense should be the clubs biggest focus. If Boeser does indeed sign and the Canucks land a top 3 pick, it opens the door for Benning to swing a big deal to land a high-end defender. I know the club stands by Edler, but he can't be the #1 guy long term. Re-sign Hamhuis and deal either Tanev or Edler.

If Burr can't be dealt, you hold on to him. Worst case scenario, he's waived.

Dealt: Hansen, Higgins, Burrows
UFA: Lucic, Martin
Waived: Vey, Zelewski, Grenier (re-signed), Burrows?

Sedin Sedin Rodin
Beartschi Bo Etem
Lucic Sutter '16 pick
Martin Granlund Dorsett
Burrows

Dealt: Edler, Sbisa
UFA: Hamhius, Yandle
Waived: Biega

Hutton Hamonic
Yandle Tanev
Hamhuis Tryamkin

Pedan Larsen

Bigger, Younger, Faster

:mex:
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Burrows, Higgins, Vey dealt.

Every UFA let go.

RFA's lots of prove it/bridge contracts. 1 - 2 years

Baertschi - gets the most $1.5M per (interesting case, or you can give some term for a lower cap hit in the long run)
Etem - $1.3M
Grans - $900K
Pedan - $855K
Zale - $633K
Grenier - $633K
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

The red flags I see on McCann are:

Didn't finish the season at centre, in fact they converted Gaunce back to centre to finish out the year.

Benning talked about his future core. A number of players were mentioned as part of the future core. McCann was mentioned as a player who could be part of the future core.

He was one of the kids that was called out as not putting in 100% effort every night.

The plus:

He is young. This was his first season and he earned the job out of camp but by the end of the season it was clear he wasn't ready.

He can be sent to Utica to develop for the next couple of years if need be so there is low cost to keeping him.

He has shown some real skill.

He has speed to burn.

I see him as a bubble player right now. One that we can take our time to develop if we want to but there is something in his game Benning doesn't like. Now it's too early to right him off but I do think he could be dangled in a package if Benning wants to upgrade on the roster.

As the playoffs develop there will be 15 disappointed teams. We finally have a few pieces we could dangle if the price is right.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

I see some fairly simple problems in McCann's game;
#1-Doesn't have a clear picture what is expected of him,(confused).
#2-Afraid of making mistakes and losing ice time.(I see this in some other youngsters at times too).
#3-Makes the simple mistakes, ie. taking a slapshot from the far wing, if it misses the net, it's as good as a perfect outlet pass going back the other way.
#4-Not standing in front of the net, raising shit.
#5 Hesitant to mix it up, although seems to want to but afraid of taking a penalty.
I could go on and he isn't the only young forward having these types of problems.
Played this game long enough to know these problems are COACHING.
So, maybe he would benefit working with Green for a while and maybe WD just assumes everyone on his bench is NHL ready.
Sorry but most of the progress I'm noticing in the young guys is coming from older team mates, each other, other teams etc. WD sounds real up on things when interviewed but in no-way am I convinced he's the right HEAD guy, maybe better as an asst. Again, sorry but that is what I'm seeing...
"evolution"
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

Hockey Widow wrote:Canucks 2016 Post Season Discussion
Do you guys prefer Shaughnessy, Marine Drive, Point Grey or do you do your golfing out in the suburbs?
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

BladesofSteel wrote: If Burr can't be dealt, you hold on to him. Worst case scenario, he's waived.
Better to buy him out than waive him. If he is waived and clears through to Utica then we still have a $4M cap hit on our roster.
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

I'd love to know where Etem and Granlund (and even Vey) fit in on Benning's "future core".

I don't think its beyond the realm of possibility that all 3 lose their spots out of camp next year - if we see improvement from McCann, Virtanen, Gaunce, and this year's 1RP is ready for the bigs.

And with the way the trade market has been, I don't see any GM offering a trade after camp for those guys, when they know they can wait us out and put in a waiver claim.

The lack of waiver-exempt prospects is creating a really strange log-jam that I don't recall the Canucks ever facing.