Canucks 2016 Post Season Discussion

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

rikster
MVP
MVP

Re: Canucks 2016 Post Season Discussion

Post by rikster »

No shit he ain't interested. The team is a mess. The good players are mostly ancient and the team has little in the way of high end young talent
Blue chip free agents can't have their cake and eat it too....

If they want maximum dollars and term, they will cause cap issues either at the front end or at the back end of the contract...

Going to a contender today doesn't mean it will be contender for most of the term of the new contract...

Regarding HW's concern, I agree with Doc....

It's not ownership whose breaking up the country club, its Benning and Linden with ownerships blessing...

Benning is a 180 from Gillis as far as player loyalty, and its always difficult to part ways with good team guys like Higgins and possibly Burrows...

But listening to any of the next generation players on the team, there hasn't been any comments which would lend creditability to HW's sources concerns...

Take care...
gobi
MVP
MVP

Post by gobi »

If the Canucks cannot get any big name FA's, JB should really consider using the cap space as a means to get some good pieces. CBJ still needs cap help so perhaps taking on Hartnell + a prospect. Don't get so hung up on FA's.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

gobi wrote:If the Canucks cannot get any big name FA's, JB should really consider using the cap space as a means to get some good pieces. CBJ still needs cap help so perhaps taking on Hartnell + a prospect. Don't get so hung up on FA's.
Yeah this.
____
Try to focus on someday.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Strangelove wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote:I hunk to prevent from being shut out Benning will hand out some of those contracts Blob loves.
No no, Blob loves him some UFA contracts.

Says he wishes the Sbisa/Dorsett contracts weren't there so we'd have mo money to overspend on dat dere!

Oh it's true...
Yeah no. Blob said if the team didn't have the boat anchors of Sutter, Miller, Sbisa, Dorsett, that they'd actually have some real money to really improve the team. But if that doesn't fit your narrative please continue to spread the bullshit as its all you've got.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
gobi
MVP
MVP

Post by gobi »

Sigh...wonder the club would be now if they had been able to trade Edler, Burrows, and Higgins two years ago. Now Higgins is being bought out and Burrows being another potential buy out. I wish AQ can see the consequences of his interferences.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:
Strangelove wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote:I hunk to prevent from being shut out Benning will hand out some of those contracts Blob loves.

Says he wishes the Sbisa/Dorsett contracts weren't there so we'd have mo money to overspend on dat dere!

Oh it's true...
Yeah no. Blob said if the team didn't have the boat anchors of Sutter, Miller, Sbisa, Dorsett, that they'd actually have some real money to really improve the team
... by blowing it on UFAs. Image

Yup, that's EXACTLY what you've been saying. :drink:
____
Try to focus on someday.
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

Strangelove wrote:
Blob Mckenzie wrote:
Strangelove wrote:

Oh it's true...
Yeah no. Blob said if the team didn't have the boat anchors of Sutter, Miller, Sbisa, Dorsett, that they'd actually have some real money to really improve the team
... by blowing it on UFAs. Image

And Looking at that UFA list after the good ones who don't want to play here anyway, who's left that's better than what we already have under knowable contracts ?

Yup, that's EXACTLY what you've been saying. :drink:
Nobody really on that UFA list other than dudes who don't want to play for us anyway ...
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

Hockey Widow wrote:
RoyalDude wrote:HW is a hoarder with tons of cats and never leaves the house, she hears voices in her head, those are her sources.

I hate cats. Can't stand the damn things. The only place I'd have them is in my microwave!

I think I love you for that... Will you marry me?!
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Seems pretty simple to me, Canucks have had NTC's up the ass thanks to the Gillis regime, and as the team aged and had no prospects to replace em, (thanks to Gillis shitty drafting, yes AND being in the cup chase) the team kept going down the toilet quick, the old core of players were kept together far tooooooooo long.

A good team drafts well and before the young guys need new contracts trades em for picks to continue dominating, just like the Blackhawks whom have traded countless star depth players for picks and young guys, surrounding their "sedins" Kane and Toews with new youth.
They also built their foundation first with Keith and Seabrook, something JB is doing right now.

Both the Blackhawks and Kings traded significant pieces over the years to try to get better and younger alot, this is why I don't see a problem with trading to try to get better, and also why I think this is a good year to trade Hansen IF we can get a younger player like Tom Wilson or add to get a Nichushkin type.

Torts was brought in to shake the core up and bring some life into it, but even he couldn't do that for the aging slowing core, and Torts said this team was stale.

Team goes into a stalemate and in comes Benning, from the East, to try to make the team playoff worthy asap, does that, but immediately notices how shitty the prospects cupboards are and the lack of young guys, but is stuck with all these NTC's from a shitty team with big contracts.

So out goes Jayg, kesler and bieksa, wisely chooses markstrom over lack, kept millertime so markstrom has more goalie coaching time and builds up confidence to take over #1 spot in 2017.

Tries to get a slew of early 20's types (as they are further along in development) for picks, some work some don't.

With the Sedins here and how they bust their ass trying to win at all costs, there is no way while they are healthy this team can tank and fully rebuild, hence here we are in year 3, stuck between a rock and hard place, he continues on with his extremely difficult plan of rebuilding a team while trying to be competitive. Benning has accomplished some of his goals so far by building a newer built defense that's bigger, younger and stronger.

And a solidified pipeline of goalies for years to come.
Markstrom, Demko, Garteig.

Defense:
Tryamkin, Pedan, Olli Juolevi, Troy Stecher, Brisbois, Tate Olson.

Prospects with unknown potential:
Zhukenov, lockwood, jasek, neill, candella, Jordan Subban.

Younger players 24 and under: Gudbranson, Hutton, Etem, Baertschi, Horvat, Granlund, Virtanen.

Got the veterans in Sutter, Dorsett and Sbisa for the experience factor & grit for the young guys.
Still has the Sedins, Hansen, Edler, Burrows, Tanev on the squad.

On top of having Brendan Gaunce, Cole Cassels, Grenier, Rodin and Brock Boeser coming in 2017, whom was re-rated to should have been picked in the top 10 last draft.

See it's just that simple, rebuild on the fly!

He cleared out a lot of the stale guys from the old regime, got the team younger and is committed to improving the team to be competitive all while being blasted 24/7 by Canucks fans who were used to winning back to back president trophies just more than a few years ago.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

It's pro sports and if you look back at any teams history you cam find stuff that could be called treating vets badly.
I see nothing to indicate the Canucks are any worse or better in this regard than anyone else.
These guys have till they're 36 to 38, if they're lucky, to earn as much as they can.
Just the nature of the beast.

What was handled badly by all was that pathetic, wishy washy, soap opera with Hamhuis at the TD.
That shit was just way too publicized, everyone was whining on the radio for the world to hear.
That was just plain bad for everyone's rep and accomplished nothing.

Whether your the player, the management or the programming turkeys on 1040, don't portray it in a manner where everyone takes sides, ya know? ;)
"evolution"
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Yup, at least Hamhuis was respected fully by the management so much so Hamhuis is willing to re-sign if the team wanted to spend $$$ and an expansion roster spot protection on him, it's the fans/media who wanted him traded big time.

As for Vrbata he was pissed he couldn't play with the Sedins, got injured, and no teams within his l-ntc wanted him was his poor performance.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

I think Benning could help himself if he became more like Lou. He has to stop trying to be everyone's friend.

Of course it doesn't help when someone releases confidential information from a GMs web site about players on the trade block.
The only HW the Canucks need
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Hockey Widow wrote:I think Benning could help himself if he became more like Lou. He has to stop trying to be everyone's friend.

Of course it doesn't help when someone releases confidential information from a GMs web site about players on the trade block.
When JB first got here it seemed like he was going to have a free hand to travel around, do a lot of his own scouting first hand and leave the chat to the Pres.
But our local media just won't let that happen. Too bad in a way...
"evolution"
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

I don't think those meet the fan events helped him. He was getting slammed by some pretty nasty idiots for not telling them "the plan". He was accused of spin talking his way through those events. Giving a corporate line. Fans expecting him to open up and share his master plan jumped on him. He began to be more open then was accused by those same fans of talking too much, showing his hand and then came the tampering.

He isn't good in crowds, public speaking or meeting the media. He is just a down home ah shucks kinda guy and he gets ridiculed no matter what he says.

I mean hell, he said day one, transition while remaining competitive and looked like a deer in the headlights when people didn't understand him. He has been true to his word but still some fans don't like the message so they shit all over the messenger.

We all may not like the message but he has been true to his word. I wish people could just debate "the plan and its merits or lack thereof and not shit on Benning because they don't like his plan. He's done everything he has said he would do. But wait, in two full seasons he hasn't brought us a Cup. Well either has any other GM in Canuck's history, including our beloved Pat Quinn.

I'm just tired of the Dim Benning is an idiot crowd.
The only HW the Canucks need
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Hockey Widow wrote:I don't think those meet the fan events helped him. He was getting slammed by some pretty nasty idiots for not telling them "the plan". He was accused of spin talking his way through those events. Giving a corporate line. Fans expecting him to open up and share his master plan jumped on him. He began to be more open then was accused by those same fans of talking too much, showing his hand and then came the tampering.

He isn't good in crowds, public speaking or meeting the media. He is just a down home ah shucks kinda guy and he gets ridiculed no matter what he says.

I mean hell, he said day one, transition while remaining competitive and looked like a deer in the headlights when people didn't understand him. He has been true to his word but still some fans don't like the message so they shit all over the messenger.

We all may not like the message but he has been true to his word. I wish people could just debate "the plan and its merits or lack thereof and not shit on Benning because they don't like his plan. He's done everything he has said he would do. But wait, in two full seasons he hasn't brought us a Cup. Well either has any other GM in Canuck's history, including our beloved Pat Quinn.

I'm just tired of the Dim Benning is an idiot crowd.
If the Canucks fail to sign a game changing free agent or two this off-season, and they continue with the plan of "transitioning while remaining competitive", then Benning, and the Canucks management team from Aquaboys on down, will prove themselves to be idiots beyond a shadow of a doubt.

I would much rather see Benning stand pat and just let the team suck and grab a couple more top 5 picks rather than see him blow money and waste future cap space on players that will just become our next Burrows or Higgins.

For the record, I really like Burrows, and if he can't be traded this season, and wanted to re-sign here in a leadership/mentor capacity for less than $2M per season after next year then let him retire a Canuck. Move Dorsett to make room.