Canucks 2016 Post Season Discussion

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Re: Canucks 2016 Post Season Discussion

Post by Island Nucklehead »

RoyalDude wrote:Hamonic brings way more value to a hockey team than Hall when it comes to winning. You don't win with the Taylor Hall Stat padders of the world. Hamonic is a warrior in big games, Hall folds like a cheap tent not too mention that he is apparently a dressing room pouter. Halls biggest problem is his play away from the puck, and lack of a 200' game, terrible defensively and puts the David Booth blinders on when skating with the puck. I think he's one of the most overrated players in the game. The Oilers would be far better hockey team if that trade were to happen
I don't disagree about Hall's questionable defensive play, but he's been a top-5 LW producer pretty much since he came into the league. In terms of PPG over the past 5 years he's better than Daniel, Gaudreau, Zetterberg, Parise etc. Basically he's only bested by Benn and OV over that stretch. Tough to argue with that kind of production.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Island Nucklehead wrote:
RoyalDude wrote:Hamonic brings way more value to a hockey team than Hall when it comes to winning. You don't win with the Taylor Hall Stat padders of the world. Hamonic is a warrior in big games, Hall folds like a cheap tent not too mention that he is apparently a dressing room pouter. Halls biggest problem is his play away from the puck, and lack of a 200' game, terrible defensively and puts the David Booth blinders on when skating with the puck. I think he's one of the most overrated players in the game. The Oilers would be far better hockey team if that trade were to happen
I don't disagree about Hall's questionable defensive play, but he's been a top-5 LW producer pretty much since he came into the league. In terms of PPG over the past 5 years he's better than Daniel, Gaudreau, Zetterberg, Parise etc. Basically he's only bested by Benn and OV over that stretch. Tough to argue with that kind of production.
Like I said, he's a stat padder, in the mean time how has his team done all the while he's been putting up those wonderful stats? I mean it's about wining isn't it? I remember when Tony Tanti used to put up great numbers during the losing years of Canuck hockey, but I don't see anyone quickly ushering him to the ring of honour.

Hamonic is the kind of player you want in games that count. The Oilers would be insane to not make the trade
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Oilers fans would probably riot if they make that trade aha.

They don't want to trade for Shattenkirk without some kind of guarantee he re-signs, as he's a eastcoaster and will sign with NYR asap.

Cam Fowler will need a huge contract as soon as you trade say Eberle for him as CF is a UFA in two years.

But alas there is a bidding war for those two guys.

Probably the easiest dman for the oil to get is Spurgeon who has 4 years left on his contract.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Lancer
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Lancer »

Jovocop wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote: Just think, we could have had Girardi and still kept McCann.
Girardi is 32 and Gudbranson is 24. I will take Gudbranson over Girardi and McCann any day.
Age notwithstanding, I'd take Gudbranson over Girardi any day. Add Gudbranson's youth, and I'm glad Benning made the deal.

That said, if Girardi is available, I wonder why Chiarelli hasn't kicked the tires on him yet? Probably cheaper than Hamonic.
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

I thought I heard Hamonic recinded his trade request??
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Madcombinepilot wrote:I thought I heard Hamonic recinded his trade request??
He did. But when you get a chance to add a 24 year old top-5 player at his position, signed to a nice contract for 4 more years, you probably look at all options.
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

Island Nucklehead wrote:
He did. But when you get a chance to add a 24 year old top-5 player at his position, signed to a nice contract for 4 more years, you probably look at all options.

But with him not up for trade, wouldn't this be more 'speculation/fantasy' than 'option'??
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

Madcombinepilot wrote:
Island Nucklehead wrote:

But with him not up for trade, wouldn't this be more 'speculation/fantasy' than 'option'??
Well, Hamonic does not have a NTC, so he could still be moved.
Diehard1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Diehard1 »

Island Nucklehead wrote:
Hamonic is Chris Tanev, slightly worse defensively and slightly better offensively. He's becoming so overrated it's nauseating.

If the Isles could somehow add Hall for him they make out like bandits.
Ronning's Ghost
MVP
MVP

Post by Ronning's Ghost »

Diehard1 wrote:Hamonic is Chris Tanev, slightly worse defensively and slightly better offensively. He's becoming so overrated it's nauseating.
Many believe that Chris Tanev is substantially underrated. Probably a consequence of playing a quiet game.

Would you trade Tanev for Hall ? I wouldn't want Benning to do that.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Diehard1 wrote: Hamonic is Chris Tanev, slightly worse defensively and slightly better offensively. He's becoming so overrated it's nauseating.
Well Travis Hamonic plays the game as physical/nasty as it gets.

Tanev.... NOT.

Hamonic is better than Tanev defensively as well imesho...
____
Try to focus on someday.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Ronning's Ghost wrote: Would you trade Tanev for Hall ? I wouldn't want Benning to do that.
In a fucking heartbeat.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Island Nucklehead wrote:
Ronning's Ghost wrote: Would you trade Tanev for Hall ? I wouldn't want Benning to do that.
In a fucking heartbeat.
Ya, for sure. If the guy ever had the right line mates, bigger, tougher, you could be looking at a 85+ points player.
"evolution"
Iceman2014
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Iceman2014 »

Hockey Widow wrote:Has anyone told Chiarelli that Sbisa is a top 4? We'll help him out and give him a deal.

Sbisa for

Yakupov and Edmonton's 2nd next year. I mean it wasn't enough to get Gudbranson but we're neighbours right, sort of.
I'd definitely take a gamble on Yak + for Sbisa. We have enough young D men that project to be #3-6 defenders. I'd love to slot in Pedan over Sbisa and then see what the Yak has out here.
Boston Canucker
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Boston Canucker »

Hockey Widow wrote:Got a little update on the Gudbranson deal.

The Canucks had been searching hard, for 2-3 weeks, to try to land a top four RHS Dman. We know the price was high including for FA. Benning wanted to stay away from some of the FA because he could not get permission to speak to their agents.

After many discussions, Benning had a deal worked out for Dan Girardi. Don't know the details. The Canucks were in a holding pattern, contemplating the move, when they got a call from Florida. They had previously inquired about Gudbranson and where told he was not available.

Florida told Benning what their asking price was, their 2nd and one of three players, McCann, Virtanen or Boeser. Benning was told that Edmonton had offered up their 2nd and Yakupov but Florida wanted a young player on an ELC that could be waived and that Florida would go back to Edmonton. Also told leaves refused to offer up their own second but did offer up a younger player. Don't know who.

Florida had not at this point shopped Gudbranson as they targeted what they wanted and wanted a quick, quiet deal.

There was a clock on the deal. Florida made it clear there was little if any negotiation room. Their needs were simple. A high 2nd and a young top six who could be waived for 1-2 more years, if need be. The risk Benning took in not acting was that Florida would then shop Gradbruson and knowing the market and knowing the teams in need, Benning pulled the trigger. Boeser was off the table as he is pretty untouchable right now so it came down to McCann or Virtanen. The analytics guys really wanted McCann, the hockey's guys wanted to keep Virtanen.

Florida and Vancouver had completely different assessments of the upside for McCann vs Virtanen. In the end both teams got what they wanted with very little negotiation.

Edmonton really wanted Gudbranson but perhaps all their high first round picks came back to haunt them. They wouldn't or couldn't part with any of the young players Florida wanted in exchange.

The deal was sudden in that Florida jumped in before Vancouver could pull the trigger on Girardi. I have to think they would have gotten more had they opened this up or waited until the draft. But they knew Vancouver was desperate and they targeted who they wanted and got their price.

Just think, we could have had Girardi and still kept McCann.
Wow, thanks for the background HW.

Two thoughts. First, I'm troubled Benning thought that highly of Girardi. I've got tons of Rangers fans, and they'd love to off load Girardi for a top prospect and high 2nd.

Second, it makes the Guddy deal look better. Guddy over Girardi any day. I still don't like losing McCann, more than the pick, but this happens.