N.H.L. Rule Changes; Anything goes.

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Topper
CC Legend

Re: N.H.L. Rule Changes; Anything goes.

Post by Topper »

with oatmeal
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
5thhorseman
MVP
MVP

Post by 5thhorseman »

Nothing like a good banger.
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

Topper wrote:with oatmeal
And egg...
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Rule 83.1 is the, I think, the last amended offside rule, but it is some what vague.
I always considered the blue line to be a vertical line as well so in essence you couldn't lift a leg to save the play, now it seems to be debatable.
I'm ready to go back to being OK with however the linesmen see it. In retrospect it wasn't all that bad.
Surprised to come to this conclusion but I vote for killing the challenge for offsides.
"evolution"
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

micky107 wrote: Actually a good slap shot or snap or wrist, for that matter, is all technique. A 105 flex is medium and at playing weight I was 5'11" and 160lbs. Less then that the last 10 years. Wood has a more consistent flex making it better for all types of shots. A wooden stick is also far, far better for stick handling. You can feel the puck much better through the wood. I tried pretty much all the new types of sticks but always went back but like you say, the high profile pros get them for free so that automatically makes, or brain washes, every body to think they're better. Like I said, money, money..........
I agree a good shot is very much technique, but there are things the sticks can provide that will help. Different flexes, lie, length, curve, etc. Once you have a the technique down the new sticks will help increase velocity. New sticks can be completely customized for the player! Wood was notorious for being inconsistent.

Wood being better for stickhandling is likely a generational thing, you grew up using wood sticks and know what the puck feels like on the stick. Players these days are growing up using composite, they'll be so used to how a puck feels on a composite stick they'll prefer them to any other type. Really this is the first generation of players that will be using this type of technology from childhood to adulthood.

Here's a good read with some opinions and a little science thrown in.

http://www.thestar.com/news/insight/201 ... lizer.html
micky107 wrote:Not true, average shot speed has gone down not up. They only use the radars on competitions. A study was done and in fact shots were generally faster, and by that I mean wrist shots too, in the 80s and 90s...
Everything I find says the new technology creates higher velocity shots. I would love to read this study as most others would.

Like the article I sourced states:
The more efficiently that transfer takes place, the less effort is required to fire the puck.

“The stick stores the energy like a coiled-up spring — and then as you hit the puck and throughout the release, not only is your lower hand pushing and delivering energy, but that stored energy is transferred to the puck as the stick snaps back straight,” Rancourt says.

During the transfer of energy, composite sticks operate more efficiently than wooden sticks. They can also be more easily customized to match the skill, or lack thereof, of the shooter.

The end result is that players of all types have found that, thanks to the efficiency of their sticks, they can produce a powerful blast with a modest backswing.

It's a peculiar paradox: By building a better stick, the world has seen the decline in popularity of what was once the ultimate shot, the slap shot.
Which is exactly what I said, I rarely take slap shots. I don't need to. A quicker release with minimal pre-loading and the puck gets to the net faster, giving the goalie less time to square to the shot and react. No need for a huge windup.

BTW, it's pretty common place on the interwebs to cite a source because people can be anyone and say anything online. Providing a source simply reinforces your point. There's a lot of online personalities that make shit up as they go.
We have no idea who you are, you're a user name - no one knows you personally.
vic
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by vic »

Encourage trading by lowering the cap hit for players who swap teams based on remaining term.

Examples:

Chris Higgins:

Higgins signed a 4 year $10 mil contract which made his cap hit 2.5 mil.

If the Canucks traded him in last off season, he would be owed $5 mil on the deal, divide that by the original term and the acquiring team has a cap hit of $1.25 mil, but still pays him $2.5 mil per year.

If he gets traded this off season, he has $2.5 mil left to be paid out - divide that by the original term and the cap hit becomes 625K for the final year.

Alex Burrows:

Burrows signed a 4 year $18 mil contract which makes his cap hit $4.5 mil.

If the Canucks can find a trading partner this summer, the acquiring team would have to pay him $4.5 in his final year, but his cap hit would only be $1.125 mil (remaining dollars owed divided by original term)

So the Canucks may have a hard time trading Burrows (if they are exploring this) because his cap hit is $4.5 mil - what if his cap hit was 1.125? - I think it becomes a lot easier to trade him and it also creates a competitive market for him.

Maybe it's not as simple as divide by original term, maybe there's some sort of a formula, and a limit to the number of players a team can acquire using this "cap relief" system.

An alternative is to just re-calculate the cap his based on term remaining (will only work for front-loaded deals)

I.e.
Player x signs a 4-year deal - $5, $5, $3, $2 - cap hit $3.75 mil
Player x gets traded after year 2 - $3, $2 - cap hit $2.5 mil
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Why not just make salary and cap match. Get rid of front loaded contracts pretty quickly, or maybe not. That wouldn't change the Higgins or Burrows scenario but it would be fun watching all these capoligists try to figure out he cap each year.
The only HW the Canucks need
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

vic wrote:Encourage trading by lowering the cap hit for players who swap teams based on remaining term.

Examples:

Chris Higgins:

Higgins signed a 4 year $10 mil contract which made his cap hit 2.5 mil.

If the Canucks traded him in last off season, he would be owed $5 mil on the deal, divide that by the original term and the acquiring team has a cap hit of $1.25 mil, but still pays him $2.5 mil per year.

If he gets traded this off season, he has $2.5 mil left to be paid out - divide that by the original term and the cap hit becomes 625K for the final year.

Alex Burrows:

Burrows signed a 4 year $18 mil contract which makes his cap hit $4.5 mil.

If the Canucks can find a trading partner this summer, the acquiring team would have to pay him $4.5 in his final year, but his cap hit would only be $1.125 mil (remaining dollars owed divided by original term)

So the Canucks may have a hard time trading Burrows (if they are exploring this) because his cap hit is $4.5 mil - what if his cap hit was 1.125? - I think it becomes a lot easier to trade him and it also creates a competitive market for him.

Maybe it's not as simple as divide by original term, maybe there's some sort of a formula, and a limit to the number of players a team can acquire using this "cap relief" system.

An alternative is to just re-calculate the cap his based on term remaining (will only work for front-loaded deals)

I.e.
Player x signs a 4-year deal - $5, $5, $3, $2 - cap hit $3.75 mil
Player x gets traded after year 2 - $3, $2 - cap hit $2.5 mil
Good ideas, Vic! Probably just makes too much sense.
Finding ways to encourage trading can only be good for the NHL overall.
Creates more interest in more cities and that creates revenue which is needed...
"evolution"
vic
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by vic »

Hockey Widow wrote:Why not just make salary and cap match. Get rid of front loaded contracts pretty quickly, or maybe not. That wouldn't change the Higgins or Burrows scenario but it would be fun watching all these capoligists try to figure out he cap each year.
Yeah, GMs would hate this - trying to ice a competitive team would be brutal if individual players had different cap hits year after year....the players probably wouldn't go for it either as (like you mentioned) it pretty much eliminates front-loaded deals, it does make sense, but how often does the league do something that makes sense? ;)
micky107 wrote: Good ideas, Vic! Probably just makes too much sense.
Finding ways to encourage trading can only be good for the NHL overall.
Creates more interest in more cities and that creates revenue which is needed...
I think both parties would like this scenario - from the owners, it could potentially lower the number of buy-outs, for a GM, it would be easier to trade players who didn't quite work out, and for players it keeps them in the NHL - using Higgins as an example, he would not have to play in Utica next year, someone would definitely take him if it only means costing 625K against the cap.

It also makes the trade deadline that much more exciting, as teams who normally have room to acquire 1 or 2 players, now have room to acquire 3 or maybe even 4.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

If two players from each team are getting penalties due to a scrum or punch-up. then let the teams play 3 on 3 either for 2 minutes or 5 or a combination.
Make 2 minute penalties go the duration no matter how many goals are scored, just like 5s
With these changes, all players would be exiting the box when their time expired.

Also, when a goal is scored, lets go back to the simple little hug on the ice instead of these longated skates past the bench with all the high fives.
"evolution"