N.H.L. Rule Changes; Anything goes.

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Mickey107
MVP
MVP

N.H.L. Rule Changes; Anything goes.

Post by Mickey107 »

Need something else to debate,(argue) about in addition to D-Day!
I have tons of ideas, I'll start with more goals.
If you score on a delayed penalty, you still get the power play.
Not enough?
Call icing on the penalty killing team.

I'll stop there
Anything goes, ANYTHING! :shock:
"evolution"
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Re: N.H.L. Rule Changes; Anything goes.

Post by Island Nucklehead »

micky107 wrote:Need something else to debate,(argue) about in addition to D-Day!
I have tons of ideas, I'll start with more goals.
If you score on a delayed penalty, you still get the power play.
Not enough?
Call icing on the penalty killing team.

I'll stop there
Anything goes, ANYTHING! :shock:
Make all minor penalties definite time, receive a 2-minute minor, sit for 2 minutes. A team can score as many PP goals as they can on a PP.
vic
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by vic »

In the playoffs, have penalties carry over to the next game.

I.e. If in Game 1 a player from Team X gets a 2 minute minor with 30 seconds left, and Team Y doesn't score, the remaining 1:30 must be served at the start of Game 2.

This would eliminate all the shit that happens towards the end of games.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Island Nucklehead wrote:Make all minor penalties definite time, receive a 2-minute minor, sit for 2 minutes. A team can score as many PP goals as they can on a PP.
As much as I like this idea theory, it makes me nervous with all of the bad calls out there - but would it even out over a season?

My rule change is to eliminate the "puck shot over the glass" delay of games minor - treat it like an icing.
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Cornuck wrote:
Island Nucklehead wrote:Make all minor penalties definite time, receive a 2-minute minor, sit for 2 minutes. A team can score as many PP goals as they can on a PP.
As much as I like this idea theory, it makes me nervous with all of the bad calls out there - but would it even out over a season?
Definitely puts more pressure on the refs, but it's one of those things you hope goes both ways, and doesn't involve changing the fundamentals of the game. Stay out of the box, have good specialty teams etc.

It's already this way for the 5-minute majors, remember Bernie's major penalty in the SCF and the Kings scored 3 goals on it.

You'd also likely have to have a deeper team, your PK and PP guys would play more.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Cornuck wrote:

My rule change is to eliminate the "puck shot over the glass" delay of games minor - treat it like an icing.
Yes, but don't forget why the league felt compelled to make the rule. Like all discretionary calls the refs called it differently throughout the season and differently once the playoffs started. They also called it differently if a team was on the PK already.

Players were good at accidentally on purpose hoisting the puck over the glass. Now I hate the call too but I remember what it was like before.

Same as drawing blood on a penalty. Used to be discretionary getting a double minor. Now it's automatic.

the higher the importance of the game the more the refs put away the whistle.
The only HW the Canucks need
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

I like the over the glass rule because I remember why it was brought in. Initially for goaltenders then discretionary for player and then automatic. All with good reason.

Shrink the trapazoid, pull it back towards the back of the net away from the wall a foot, to restrict goaltenders handling shoot ins.

I don't like the idea of calling icing in the PK. Gassed defender will get be injury prone defenders.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Ronning's Ghost
MVP
MVP

Post by Ronning's Ghost »

Cornuck wrote:
More impact to a bad call, and also more non-calls. The higher the impact of a penalty, the more reluctant the referees would be to call them.

Refereeing is almost never done well enough to anyone's satisfaction, and I suspect part of that is because refereeing hockey is really hard. I'd like to give them a little more help in the form of a third official in the broadcast booth who would stay in touch with the on-ice referees through headsets. The third official could let them know about anything that might be happening that they are missing.

My rule changes would be to make the nets six inches taller, and go to international rules for goal crease violations.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

eliminate the goaltender.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

When they moved the nets forward to #1 make it safer, #2 create more play behind the net, that was fine.
BUT: They never replaced the space in the neutral zone/it's too short, changed the whole game.
I realize all rinks would have to renovate a bit but if you restore the length between the blue lines,
It would speed the game up, exposing slow skaters and rewarding fast explosive ones!
I hear talk about widening the surface but that's a really bad idea. Just like in Europe most plays would F-up
and passing in the neutral zone would almost stop.
Just restore the length :rofl:
"evolution"
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Apply the same rules during the regular season and in the playoffs. :mex:
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

Per wrote:Apply the same rules during the regular season and in the playoffs. :mex:

+1
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

Madcombinepilot wrote:
Per wrote:Apply the same rules during the regular season and in the playoffs. :mex:

+1
Not as long as there remains one Canadian team left in this God damned hockey league....in the playoffs or not because 70% are Canadians anyway... Screw those muther fuckers.......he says
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

Topper wrote:I like the over the glass rule because I remember why it was brought in. Initially for goaltenders then discretionary for player and then automatic. All with good reason.
I dunno, my own recollection of the rule being brought in for all players (not just goalies) was that the intentional over-the-glass was not all that common, probably because there has always been a discretion for the refs to call it if it was obviously intentional.

In my opinion, it seems to me that intentional over-the-glass incidents were no more common than delay-of-game penalties are now. I don't think the penalty has addressed the "problem" (which wasn't really that much of a problem to begin with) because pucks still go over the glass, but it has added I would say on average 1 PP per game.

Totally anecdotal though, so feel free to debunk with your own anecdote or actual evidence.
Ronning's Ghost
MVP
MVP

Post by Ronning's Ghost »

Madcombinepilot wrote:

+1
+2, although this might the most far-fetched proposed rule change imaginable.