Lineup Predictions 2016-17

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Topper
CC Legend

Re: Lineup Predictions 2016-17

Post by Topper »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:Benning called Sutter a foundational player , so it must be true. Trevor called Dorsett a foundational player as well.LOL
Bonino trade was fine. Sutters new contract is horrific for a third line player.
Stanton outplayed Sbisa at a fraction of the cost. He's on the best team in the league. Sbisa couldn't crack that defence no matter how many times you call him a stalwart.
I think you need to trim that beard as it has grown over your eyes. If I haven't watched the games, I'm wondering if you have even listened to them for the past few years considering your analysis.Watch by Braille I guess ??

You lose all credibility comparing a 2009-2011 Ehrhoff to Nathan Horton. He was 28 and making less money than Sbisa.Overpriced old guy my ass.
Livingston I presume.

You brought up the Errhoff deal, I could only think you must mean his deal with Vancouver and only pointed out that at that time Lukowich's salary buried in the minors was the key component to the deal. Today, as with Horton, that salary would be on the cap books Minors or injury. Since you have obviously lost your mind I should not have presumed I could understand a lunitic.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Can we stop bringing up the Oilers model? I don't think I've seen anyone advocate becoming the Oilers.

As to the subject of the thread, we'll see what Benning can pull off in Free Agency and through any trades. If we get lucky at the draft lottery, maybe we land a player right-away, Auston Matthews would help come October.

I look at the state of our defense, and I don't see a playoff group. I look at our forwards, and I don't see enough scoring. I'm sure the goaltending will be adequate, but barring a significant overrhaul to Bennings significant overhaul, I'm not seeing a competitive team next season. I mean, maybe we'll end up like a Colorado or Minny in a dogfight to get ass-rammed by a Dallas/LA/Chicago, but that's probably a best-case scenario.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

If you were picking 5-7, would you consider trading down for an established young defender and a 10-15 pick to grab the d prospect missing from the youth pool?

ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Stanton outplayed Sbisa at a fraction of the cost. He's on the best team in the league. Sbisa couldn't crack that defence no matter how many times you call him a stalwart.
Sorry, are you referring to Ryan Stanton, the guy who's dressed for 1 (one) NHL game this season? And racked up 9 (nine) minutes of ice time?

I'd wager, at the very least, that Sbisa would get more than 9 minutes of ice per season if he was with the Caps.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Topper wrote:If you were picking 5-7, would you consider trading down for an established young defender and a 10-15 pick to grab the d prospect missing from the youth pool?
Tough call without knowing who the defender is.

Once you get out of the relatively consensus top-4/5 it opens up quite a bit, and so much will depend on what teams are looking for. Nylander could go 6, but so could Juolevi.

Would you do Philly's 1st (say 15th) + Sanheim for 5th Overall? Would Philly? Part of me says we need quality depth as much as impact players, but the impact players are so hard to come by... Tough call.

Say Toronto lands Matthews and also wants to snag Nylander's brother, do you do Morgan Reilly for 5th/6th overall? I think a deal like that would be pretty hard to turn down.
Ronning's Ghost
MVP
MVP

Post by Ronning's Ghost »

Uncle dans leg wrote:It's a tank alright. The question is whether it's via intelligent design or devolution
I agree. If Benning has been reticent about revealing his full, real plan, we may not know for several years. If he is the type to take credit for happy accidents, we may never know.
Puck
MVP
MVP

Post by Puck »

At this stage, we have to aim more for impact than quality depth. While you're right that we need both, we'll have to start with the former and hope to fill in the latter with later rounds and signings. Take the high picks while we've got them.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Island Nucklehead wrote:
Topper wrote:If you were picking 5-7, would you consider trading down for an established young defender and a 10-15 pick to grab the d prospect missing from the youth pool?
Tough call without knowing who the defender is.

Once you get out of the relatively consensus top-4/5 it opens up quite a bit, and so much will depend on what teams are looking for. Nylander could go 6, but so could Juolevi.

Would you do Philly's 1st (say 15th) + Sanheim for 5th Overall? Would Philly? Part of me says we need quality depth as much as impact players, but the impact players are so hard to come by... Tough call.

Say Toronto lands Matthews and also wants to snag Nylander's brother, do you do Morgan Reilly for 5th/6th overall? I think a deal like that would be pretty hard to turn down.
The way we are playing I suspect Winnipeg and Edmonton both catch us and we finish 29th. That means we would be guaranteed 4th overall.

If we aren't going to get one of the Fins, or Matthews, then secure Juolevi or Chychrun. Other than that, do whatever you can to make this team better. Both now and in the future. Right now, with our cap space and the crop of UFA talent that is about to hit the market, taking the highest possible draft pick is probably the best option.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Topper wrote:
Blob Mckenzie wrote:Benning called Sutter a foundational player , so it must be true. Trevor called Dorsett a foundational player as well.LOL
Bonino trade was fine. Sutters new contract is horrific for a third line player.
Stanton outplayed Sbisa at a fraction of the cost. He's on the best team in the league. Sbisa couldn't crack that defence no matter how many times you call him a stalwart.
I think you need to trim that beard as it has grown over your eyes. If I haven't watched the games, I'm wondering if you have even listened to them for the past few years considering your analysis.Watch by Braille I guess ??

You lose all credibility comparing a 2009-2011 Ehrhoff to Nathan Horton. He was 28 and making less money than Sbisa.Overpriced old guy my ass.
Livingston I presume.

You brought up the Errhoff deal, I could only think you must mean his deal with Vancouver and only pointed out that at that time Lukowich's salary buried in the minors was the key component to the deal. Today, as with Horton, that salary would be on the cap books Minors or injury. Since you have obviously lost your mind I should not have presumed I could understand a lunitic.
The point is ( and I'm fairly certain you get it) that Elmer has bumped the team up against the cap with a pile of shitty contracts. This doesn't allow them to poach a good player or two from a team has cap issues similar to how they managed to get Ehrhoff.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

What good is Errorhoff to a rebuilding team. A mistake prone old offensive defender, not a leader of youth.

Really Blob, stop pulling names out a hat. Richardson, Stanton, Errorhoff.......all laughable.

Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Topper wrote:What good is Errorhoff to a rebuilding team. A mistake prone old offensive defender, not a leader of youth.

Really Blob, stop pulling names out a hat. Richardson, Stanton, Errorhoff.......all laughable.
Ehrhoff was an example. 2009-2011 Ehrhoff not 2016 Ehrhoff. Please try to keep up.

As for Richardson and Stanton they are examples of players held up against Sbisa and Sutter where there would be very little difference in on ice performance. The big difference is in the contracts.

Sutter and Sbisa for 8 million a year or Stanton and Richardson for under 3 million. Same caliber of players with an extra five million to spend.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

One problem with hoping a high draft pick solves problems is that only a few high draft picks are ready for the NHL and this year that appears to only be Matthews. And Matthews alone won't solve our problems. He allows us to consider trading McCann but McCann alone isn't going to bring us a top defender.

So realistically the only way to change this line up is through trades and free agency if you want immediate change. The slow rebuild will continue. If healthy we have the line up to make the playoffs next year but we are a long way from icing a line up that can be seen as a contender. This year's draft isn't going to change our immediate future.
The only HW the Canucks need
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

and that is why it is a multi year process.

2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

Topper wrote:and that is why it is a multi year process.
Exactly with the right combination of rookies/prospects and vets there is no reason why in 3 - 5 years the team is not properly competing for SC. Just believe
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Reefer2 wrote:
Topper wrote:and that is why it is a multi year process.
Exactly with the right combination of rookies/prospects and vets there is no reason why in 3 - 5 years the team is not properly competing for SC. Just believe

That I believe in.
The only HW the Canucks need