NHL business

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

JelloPuddingPop
MVP
MVP

Re: NHL business

Post by JelloPuddingPop »

Hockey Widow wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 11:55 am The NHL should have a provision that allows, or forces, a kid to be withdrawn from a draft when shit like this happens.
This.

It is really surprising that they don't - being drafted is a major privilege and if kids know for sure that their actions could affect their ability to make the show maybe they'll think twice.

Though as Wids says... they are kids.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Bergevin and Dumbass are the gifts that keep on giving
If you need air...call it in
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

JelloPuddingPop wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 12:56 pm
Hockey Widow wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 11:55 am The NHL should have a provision that allows, or forces, a kid to be withdrawn from a draft when shit like this happens.
This.

It is really surprising that they don't - being drafted is a major privilege and if kids know for sure that their actions could affect their ability to make the show maybe they'll think twice.

And he and his agent asked not to be drafted!!!
The only HW the Canucks need
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/nh ... d-players/
Elliotte Friedman@FriedgeHNIC
September 2, 2021, 7:05 PM
NHL's new COVID-19 protocols include mechanism for suspending unvaccinated players...

Quick Thursday evening blog: The NHL and NHLPA have finalized COVID-19 protocols for the 2021-22 season.

The biggest news is a mechanism for teams to suspend unvaccinated players who are “unable to participate in club activities.” This includes situations where a player cannot travel because of local, provincial/state and/or federal regulations “upon return.” Such individuals would “forfeit the equivalent of one day’s pay for each day” they are precluded from participating.

It’s a major development considering the Canada/U.S. border and different rules/approaches across the NHL’s North American landscape. General managers were warned about this possibility at their virtual meeting in July and began informing players about the possibility.

There are exceptions — unvaccinated status based upon medical reasons; a conflict with “sincerely held religious beliefs;” establishment “on the basis of a balance of the probabilities,” COVID-19 “arised out of the course of employment as a hockey player;” or quarantine because of being a high-risk close contact.

If a fully vaccinated player is confirmed with a positive COVID test, his condition “shall be treated as a hockey-related injury for all purposes” under the CBA.

Unvaccinated players who are not exempted for the above reasons will not be paid if his team establishes, “on the basis of a balance of the probabilities, that the player failed to comply with the terms of this protocol in a manner that was reasonably related to his contraction of COVID-19 and/or any resulting or related illness.”

Other notable points of emphasis:

• Any player who wishes to opt-out of the 2021-22 season because they are unvaccinated or fully vaccinated “but can establish that an immediate family member with whom he shares a household is at substantially heightened risk of severe illness by contracting COVID-19” can opt-out by Oct. 1. The team in question will then have 30 days to decide if the player’s contract will be “tolled” (basically rolling it over to 2022-23) or if this season would be removed from the agreement. Anyone opting out would not be able to play in another league or the Olympics.

• Any person whose job, role, position or access entails or entitles them to have personal interactions (within 12 feet) of club hockey operations personnel (including players) must be fully vaccinated.

• Fully vaccinated players shall be subject to PCR testing at least every 72 hours. That guideline could change depending on how things progress. Unvaccinated players will be tested daily.

• There are stiff rules for unvaccinated players. On the road, they cannot enter “internal venues” other than the team hotel, practice facility, or game arena. They are not allowed to use the hotel gym, pool, sauna, steam room or other shared facilities. They are not allowed to have teammates, team staff or visitors inside their hotel room, with the exception of fully-vaccinated family. They are not allowed to leave the hotel to eat (or purchase food) or use any restaurants/bars (in or out of the hotel) that are open to the public. They can’t pick up food except where the restaurant provides curbside pickup (or similar service) that does not require entrance to the main restaurant.
This should Light up some conversation around the Hockey world. I think it needs refinement and then some! Bad joke; sorry.
"evolution"
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

Hockey Widow wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 3:56 pm
JelloPuddingPop wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 12:56 pm
This.

And he and his agent asked not to be drafted!!!
One of the amazing things about how this is unfolding is the narrative is now all about how idiotic Montreal was for drafting him, versus what a dirtbag this 18 year old kid is.

Maybe it was deliberate? Bergevin deciding to take the goat horns, let the kid carry on with developing, and have the "story" for lazy journalists be "Montreal are dum for drafting him" and take the pressure/focus off the kid?

Honestly, 2 months later I can't remember the kid's name without looking it up, but I know exactly who we're talking about when the topic comes up. And that's a very good thing for the kid.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

https://www.sportsnet.ca/olympics/artic ... -olympics/

NHL, NHLPA reach agreement with IIHF to participate in 2022 Beijing Olympics
@Sportsnet .September 3, 2021, 11:08 AM
After missing the 2018 Olympics in PyeongChang, the NHL is returning to the biggest international stage.

The IIHF announced Friday that it has reached an agreement with the NHL and NHLPA confirming the league's participation in the 2022 Beijing Olympics.

--The NHL and NHLPA previously reached a deal for players to attend the Olympics as part of a four-year extension of CBA in July 2020, but until now official participation depended on an agreement with the IIHF and IOC.

The NHL has already announced a pause in play from Feb. 7 to Feb. 22 on its 2021-22 schedule to accommodate the Games.

Per Sportsnet's Elliotte Friedman, the NHL and NHLPA have the ability to withdraw from the Olympics if circumstances change for the worse. The league can also back out if NHL games are cancelled due to COVID-19 outbreaks and there is no room to reschedule.-

NHL/NHLPA have the ability to withdraw if circumstances change for the worse. Also, if NHL games are cancelled during the season due to outbreaks and there is not room to reschedule, league has option to cancel participation.

Canada, the United States, Russia, Sweden, Finland, Czech Republic, Germany, Switzerland, Slovakia, Denmark, Latvia and host China will participate in the event slated to take place from Feb. 4 to Feb. 20.

NHL players didn’t take part in the 2018 Olympics, marking the first time since 1994 in Lillehammer that they were absent from the Games.

Canada won gold in the last two Olympics with NHL participation, while the Olympic Athletes from Russia topped the podium in 2018.
I'm just reporting the news. TBH: I was hoping they would take a pass. Too soon, IMO. :?:

Well; whatever.
Go Brock
Go Quinn
Go JT----maybe
Go Thacther
--------------------
Go Petey
Go Nils----maybe
Go Oliver
------------------
Go Bo?
Last edited by Mickey107 on Fri Sep 03, 2021 9:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
"evolution"
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Yeah no…..

GO CANADA!

Why anyone who calls themselves a fan of the game would want the league to not participate in the Olympics is baffling. It’s the best hockey we see…..period.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
JelloPuddingPop
MVP
MVP

Vin Tanner wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 8:41 am Yeah no…..

GO CANADA!

Why anyone who calls themselves a fan of the game would want the league to not participate in the Olympics is baffling. It’s the best hockey we see…..period.
Well, just to put a caveat on this... at best, 5 teams (Canada, US, Russia, Finland & Sweden, with a minor shout out to the Czechs/Germans) playing against each other are the best hockey we see. I couldn't fucking care less about watching Italy vs. France or the upcoming China vs. Canada 1-100 game. Those aren't fun.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

GO CANADA!

I fully agree with you there. I assume it'll beon the big ice unfortunately but i really can't wait to see it.

Who will broadcast the games? All networks or...?
If you need air...call it in
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Cousin Strawberry wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 8:59 am

GO CANADA!

I fully agree with you there. I assume it'll beon the big ice unfortunately but i really can't wait to see it.

Who will broadcast the games? All networks or...?
It will be on NHL size ice!
"evolution"
JelloPuddingPop
MVP
MVP

Micky wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 8:18 am
Well; whatever.
Go Brock
Go Quinn
Go JT----maybe
Go Thacther
--------------------
Go Petey
Go Nils----maybe
Go Oliver
------------------
Go Bo?
Likely you have the US, and Swedes correct - but I'm not sure Bo has a chance of making the CDN team. The depth at centre has long been Canada's best strength, and even counting the natural centres who are selected to play the wing on the Canadian team - I'm still not sure Bo cracks this roster.

1) Crosby (That line with the Rat, and Bergeron is unreal, and promises to be the same this year)
2) McDavid
3) MacKinnon
4) Point

Moved to the wing: Barzal, Tavares, Bergeron, Scheifele

I would rank all of these players on the international ice ahead of Bo. The real weakness (if you can call it that) for Canada will be the defense, and goaltending behind Price.
JelloPuddingPop
MVP
MVP

Micky wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 9:06 am It will be on NHL size ice!
Really? That is weird. Well, all that much better for us. Likely means a US/CDN final no? Can't remember how the brackets will shape up.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

JelloPuddingPop wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 9:15 am
Micky wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 9:06 am It will be on NHL size ice!
Really? That is weird. Well, all that much better for us. Likely means a US/CDN final no? Can't remember how the brackets will shape up.
Ni link; just what they said on the radio.
"evolution"
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

JelloPuddingPop wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 8:55 am

GO CANADA!

Well, just to put a caveat on this... at best, 5 teams (Canada, US, Russia, Finland & Sweden, with a minor shout out to the Czechs/Germans) playing against each other are the best hockey we see. I couldn't fucking care less about watching Italy vs. France or the upcoming China vs. Canada 1-100 game. Those aren't fun.
But think of the drinking game with that China game!

Every goal we get, take a shot!
Whoop!
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
JelloPuddingPop
MVP
MVP

Madcombinepilot wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 9:29 am
JelloPuddingPop wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 8:55 am

GO CANADA!

But think of the drinking game with that China game!

Every goal we get, take a shot!
Whoop!
Jebus - I'd be under the table before the 2nd period even starts