NHL business

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Megaterio Llamas
MVP
MVP

Re: NHL business

Post by Megaterio Llamas »

This would be fun
Chris Johnston
@reporterchris

Free agency for the 2020-21 NHL season will either be Oct. 9 or seven days following the Stanley Cup Final (as late as Oct. 11).

That means we could have free agency open the same day as the first round of the entry draft is held.
https://twitter.com/reporterchris/statu ... 77665?s=20
el rey del mambo
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

NBC Sports--pump-up promotion video for the NH is back; just over 4 min.

It's fine I guess. Shows plenty of fans in seats though...
"evolution"
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Bobby Margarita@TSNBobMcKenzie
As of Monday at 12 noon ET, players meeting the following criteria can be signed to contracts as follows (Legend: UDC/Unsigned Draft Choice; ELC/Entry Level Contract; DRUFA/Draft Related Unrestricted Free Agent):
Examples;-- link
"evolution"
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Micky wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 10:12 am
Bobby Margarita@TSNBobMcKenzie
As of Monday at 12 noon ET, players meeting the following criteria can be signed to contracts as follows (Legend: UDC/Unsigned Draft Choice; ELC/Entry Level Contract; DRUFA/Draft Related Unrestricted Free Agent):
Examples;-- link

Hmmmm...
____
Try to focus on someday.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Huh?
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

UDC--Undetermined Duration Contract

DRUFA--/Draft Related Unrestricted Free Agent

I wont remember that bottom one unless I write I wont remember, then I might.
"evolution"
Cherry Picker
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Cherry Picker »

I think this means they now have five days to sign Rathbone if he wants to sign. I don’t think it means much else that greatly affects the Canucks. They can now sign all their other RFAs and UFAs to extensions too, but there isn’t a five day time crunch on those.

I’m not sure if this opens the door to signing Pettersson and Hughes, too. I know they could have usually started negotiating with them in the summer a year prior to their deals starting. If the season hadn’t been interrupted they could have signed this summer, but I’m not sure that means they can sign right now? Those would be great contracts for the organization to get done fast, so they could see exactly how much cap space they have moving forward. They should be Benning’s priority.
We are all Snidely Whiplash.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Micky wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 2:10 pm UDC--Undetermined Duration Contract
UDC = Unsigned Draft Choices

(smile)
____
Try to focus on someday.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Cherry Picker wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 2:24 pm I think this means they now have five days to sign Rathbone if he wants to sign.
Yeah, 5 days starting tomorrow for contracts starting in 2019-20.

No such limit for contracts starting in 2020-21 of course.

Cherry Picker wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 2:24 pm They can now sign all their other RFAs and UFAs to extensions too, but there isn’t a five day time crunch on those.
Right, starting tomorrow.

Cherry Picker wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 2:24 pm I’m not sure if this opens the door to signing Pettersson and Hughes, too.
Yup, it does.
____
Try to focus on someday.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

That means they can sign Trymankin too then starting tomorrow.
The only HW the Canucks need
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Micky wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 2:10 pm unless I write I wont remember, then I might.
Leave the jokes for the big kids. Put your helmet on and chase the ice cream truck.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

So a little clarity. The window to sign unsigned drafted players, like Rathbone, is strictly a timeline whereas they can burn a year on their ELC. So if he signs during this window, even without playing a game or drawing a pay check, he effectively would burn year one. If he signs after that window he does not burn a year. So teams can sign those players anytime just the benefit to the player, or enticement, is that they. get to burn a year. Its making up for being able to sign these guys when their seasons ended and they got into a game or two.

Harvard has officially announced no return to play until at least the New Year, subject of course to what is happening in the world or covid by then. So he could sign now, take his fall courses and work out and be ready for training camp at the start of next season.
The only HW the Canucks need
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Doyle Hargraves wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 4:23 pm
Micky wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 2:10 pm unless I write I wont remember, then I might.
Leave the jokes for the big kids like me who have trouble catching the ice cream truck cause I'm a husky guy.
Sorry. I'll dumb it down for you. :drink:
"evolution"
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

NHL statement on COVID-19 testing results: . Link
July 13, 2020.
"evolution"
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

The next CBA should include a cap / salary percentage offset for teams not playing in a state that has no income taxes.

Teams play what, half of their games outside of their home ice, and isn't that calculated in their take home pay? idk. But if that's the case the league could implement a plan where a player playing in Tampa Bay or Dallas for example/hypothetical a same player playing in a higher income tax place, the cap/salary changes to be the same so said player can take home the same amount of money, thereby helping the teams like Canada have similar benefits of those teams in Florida, Texas, Nevada and soon Washington. That would make life at CapFriendly not so friendly for their database.

Maybe same cap hit for all teams across the board, but salaries are calculated different for each team depending on their income tax bracket or lack thereof. Thank you for coming to my TED talk

https://hockey-graphs.com/2019/01/08/ho ... 20Knights).
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.