NHL business

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Megaterio Llamas
MVP
MVP

Re: NHL business

Post by Megaterio Llamas »

Just based on the tone from Donald Fehr and some of the comments I've seen floating around from certain players it's looking increasingly to me like there won't be a season. The players quotes I have read seem to imply a complete divorce from reality on their part. They can all sit for five years the way I'm feeling right now and in the event that the season is cancelled I expect the court of public opinion will judge them harshly.
el rey del mambo
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Megaterio Llamas wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 12:08 am Just based on the tone from Donald Fehr and some of the comments I've seen floating around from certain players it's looking increasingly to me like there won't be a season. The players quotes I have read seem to imply a complete divorce from reality on their part. They can all sit for five years the way I'm feeling right now and in the event that the season is cancelled I expect the court of public opinion will judge them harshly.
If the NBA plays and Hockey players don't, they can kiss their US broadcasting contract good-bye. Sportsnet might say f**k you too.
We're all fighting away, trying to make things work. Entertainment and sports are no different, it all meshes together.
"evolution"
Megaterio Llamas
MVP
MVP

Post by Megaterio Llamas »

Micky wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 12:35 am
Megaterio Llamas wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 12:08 am Just based on the tone from Donald Fehr and some of the comments I've seen floating around from certain players it's looking increasingly to me like there won't be a season. The players quotes I have read seem to imply a complete divorce from reality on their part. They can all sit for five years the way I'm feeling right now and in the event that the season is cancelled I expect the court of public opinion will judge them harshly.
If the NBA plays and Hockey players don't, they can kiss their US broadcasting contract good-bye. Sportsnet might say f**k you too.
We're all fighting away, trying to make things work. Entertainment and sports are no different, it all meshes together.
Hey, long established businesses here in my village are going belly up one after the next. The NHL can't stay afloat on tv revenue, they could be goners too.
el rey del mambo
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Who is all fighting away?
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Doyle Hargraves wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 7:57 am

Anyone that isn't living, (or trying to), in a hygienic bubble. Anyone going to work. Holding down a job. Spending money on server contracts for
the entertainment they're paying for isn't freaking there.
Why are you asking?
"evolution"
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Megaterio Llamas wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 12:44 am
Hey, long established businesses here in my village are going belly up one after the next. The NHL can't stay afloat on tv revenue, they could be goners too.
Is H.B. only a village Meg? In alberia a village is less than 1k residents
If you need air...call it in
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Mick is fighting the Gohmert tag
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

The Brown Wizard wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 8:44 am

He doesn't have a f**king tag....Image
"evolution"
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Micky wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 10:16 am

Louie Gohmert wouldn’t be so bad. Maybe Louie107?
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Doyle Hargraves wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 10:40 am
Micky wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 10:16 am

Louie Gohmert wouldn’t be so bad. Maybe Louie107?
How about Doyle Hardlove.....Image
"evolution"
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

Megaterio Llamas wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 12:44 am
This is really not a good look for the League, and suggests that the CBA was not negotiated in good faith. The league pushed hard for the CBA to be co-signed with the Return to Play deal, they made their deadline and had a great playoffs. Now, 3 months of COVID behaving exactly as predicted since at least April (big-ass second wave, vaccine near but not ready, still restrictions on gatherings), they're going to threaten the players with a flat-cap to try to change the terms of the barely-dry deal?

Apparently (can't recall where I read it, maybe Friedman?) the League is desperate to play this season and bring the bad NBC deal to an end. If the season is cancelled, the NBC deal rolls over another year.

So that means, in the period that the League is threatening a flat cap, there will be a new US TV deal and a new Franchise, which is juicing HRR by $650 million already plus another likely-sold out venue 41 nights a year.

By the bye, HRR in 2018/19 was $5.1 billion, that that expansion fee alone is a 13% boost in revenue. Factor in the US TV deal projected to rise by $150 million to $250 million, and if Seattle contributes leage average HRR ($164 million), that's basically an extra billion dollars in HRR, which is factored into the cap in year 2021/22.

I'm 100% with the players on this - stick to the deal (which Bettman imo is acknowledging is within their power), and let the chips fall where they may in the next 6 years of cap calculations.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Wow. Good write up buds.

I sure as fuck hope we dont wash out the season....i really want to see an all canadian division
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

The Brown Wizard wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 12:09 pm Wow. Good write up buds.

I sure as fuck hope we dont wash out the season....i really want to see an all canadian division
I think there's a lot of reasons why the League won't let that happen - But I'd be happy to even push the start to February, by which point there will be some chance of in-person attendance due to vaccines being administered for 1-1.5 months and the US likely having 100 million COVID cases (assuming there are 4x the asymptomatic COVID infections, which is conservative - other numbers have been 10x and 15x).

The key will be starting on-time in October 2021 with a 32-team league, a full 82-game season, a new US TV deal, and fans in the stands. Anything that happens in 20/21 season is guaranteed to be fucky so just roll with it.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

With what they are being asked to give up, it comes down to a risk/reward equation for most of the players.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.