NHL business

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Megaterio Llamas
MVP
MVP

Re: NHL business

Post by Megaterio Llamas »

Hockey Widow wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 8:05 pm
ESQ wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 5:40 pm
Hockey Widow wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 5:17 pm Uhhh, well there is a new franchise fee then there is relocation. Two different things. I dont think there is a relocation fee which is one of the reasons Bettman tries hard not to relocate teams.
Micky is right, there is a re-location fee, I was looking this up today in the Wikipedia page for the Coyotes' bankrupty. Rumoured to be $100M to go into southern Ontario, but I believe the NHL's secret Constitution setting out the relocation formula was posted online as a result of the bankruptcy litigation.
Ok, so there is a relocation fee. No where near a franchise fee. I think if they have to relocate they will try to keep it in Arizona. Save other locations for future expansion fees.

Of course now that Vegas and Seattle have pointed up Im sure Bettman will have an easier time accepting relocation, his two best spots have pointed up already.
I think that would pertain to a move to Southern Ontario where the Leaves would need to be paid, though that ain't happening anyway. A move to Houston would be more of an Atlanta/Winnipeg situation I would guess.
el rey del mambo
Megaterio Llamas
MVP
MVP

Post by Megaterio Llamas »

I hope the move happens to tell the truth...

el rey del mambo
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Vin Tanner wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 5:58 pm He isn’t right. He said the league would want “the big entrance fee” …. Like the 600 million Seattle paid. He talks out of his ass so much we can all smell the shit.

“Ferland is having panic attacks”

“The penalty killers have to pin their opponents “

Less is more Helmet Head. Less is more.
no one smells like shit more then you. no one disparages the Canucks management more then you. you don't debate with posters, you tell them why your right. what's worse is, you usually aren't. less would be better from you.
Ferland was having panic attacks.
penalty killers pin their opponents all the time.
"evolution"
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Micky wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 8:15 pm Ferland was having panic attacks.
Link? :mex:

Micky wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 8:15 pm penalty killers pin their opponents all the time.
Wut... and put themselves out of position?
____
Try to focus on someday.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Micky wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 8:15 pm penalty killers pin their opponents all the time.
You keep bringing this up for some reason...why? Its not what happens man
If you need air...call it in
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Yotes probably will just play in Tempe, AZ..
"We are thankful to the NHL and the Arizona Coyotes for being a part of the Glendale community for the past 18 years," Glendale city manager Kevin Phelps said. "The decision not to renew the operating agreement with the Coyotes was not made overnight or in a vacuum. We carefully weighed input from key stakeholders, our expert economist, our arena management firm and our city council."

The Coyotes are reportedly looking to relocate to Tempe, telling AZ Central on July 22 they were "highly interested in the location."

https://www.nhl.com/news/nhl-commission ... -325998880
Glendale is just playing hardball, saying - "sign a 20 year lease or gtfo." aha
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Hockey Widow wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 8:05 pm Ok, so there is a relocation fee. No where near a franchise fee. I think if they have to relocate they will try to keep it in Arizona. Save other locations for future expansion fees.
Well if they remain in Arizona it's not "relocation" right? :D

(same market)

I agree the other owners would prefer they stay in the desert.

And the owner of the Coyotes also wants to stay in the desert.

And I wouldn't be surprised if the City of Glendale wants the Coyotes to remain where they are.

Did they (temporarily) break off negotiations as a negotiation tactic?

Wouldn't be the first time.

Last I heard is Glendale was trying to push the Yotes into a loooong-term lease.

I heard Yotes were flirting with the Tempe... now this?

I don't know, I don't usually follow stories like this but a lot of people are talking about this right now.

So I'm doing some reading like the rest of us, and making wild guesses like the rest of us...

I read that the Coyotes owe something like $1.5M to Glendale in back rent, damn what a mess.

Can you imagine being a Coyote fan right now? So much pain!

Hockey Widow wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 8:05 pm Of course now that Vegas and Seattle have pointed up Im sure Bettman will have an easier time accepting relocation, his two best spots have pointed up already.
I could easily be wrong, but I think the owner could force relocation if they have to be out on such short notice (June 30).

I think there is some kind of formula to determine the relocation cost depending on the market.

(or is the cost determined in a special board of governors meeting... or both)

AGAIN: I could be completely wrong and I don't have time to research this.

This part is just something I think I may have read years ago.

If they were to relocate in such a short time frame, that might put Quebec in the driver's seat.

They have the facility, they're in the NHL's good books right now

(didn't they pay a non-refundable $10M for the NHL a few years ago to consider them?)

... and the Mayor has said they're ready at the drop of a hat.

But then I feel they're going to remain in the desert, so why am I blathering on lol.
____
Try to focus on someday.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Either way even if they do move to Houston or wherever the incoming city won’t be shelling out 600 million like Gomer the tard suggested.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Vin Tanner wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 10:08 pm Either way even if they do move to Houston or wherever the incoming city won’t be shelling out 600 million like Gomer the tard suggested.
Give up the idiotic name; / This is what I said; The league would want the big entrance fee for Houston. That means I would think they would NOT want to relocate the Coyotes franchise there. They would look elsewhere. No 600 million for a relocation.
"evolution"
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

Strangelove wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 7:38 pm
Micky was saying the exact opposite in my opinion!
Ok, well, you may have me there, he may have argued both sides :lol:

But when he said there'd be a fee to relocate, he was right that time!

Here's my math:

Seattle's fee was $650k.

Meruelo paid roughly $300m valuation for his stake in the coyotes (why anyone would pay that much to lose money, I'll never know)

So, will Quebecor or whoever else pay, say, $300m For the team and 350m for the relocation fee?

Back when BBalsillie was involved, he was fighting over paying $10m to the league, but since then sports franchises are a whole new ball game, thanks to a few massive transactions causing massive inflation.

But if anyone bucks up that kind of coin,I think the league will jump on it.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Micky wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 10:44 pm
Vin Tanner wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 10:08 pm Either way even if they do move to Houston or wherever the incoming city won’t be shelling out 600 million like Gomer the tard suggested.
Give up the idiotic name; / This is what I said; The league would want the big entrance fee for Houston. That means I would think they would NOT want to relocate the Coyotes franchise there. They would look elsewhere. No 600 million for a relocation.
Obviously the league would want as much as someone would give them. They want the most they could get. Thanks for pointing that out Captain Oblivious. And no shit they don’t want to relocate them. Some real wisdom from Gomer here folks. The fact is that team is a black eye on the league and they are hemorrhaging money every fucking year. So again why would the league want to jam up Houston more than any other potential city the Coyotes could go to?
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Vin Tanner wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 6:30 am Obviously the league would want as much as someone would give them. They want the most they could get. Thanks for pointing that out Captain Oblivious. And no shit they don’t want to relocate them. Some real wisdom here folks. The fact is that team is a black eye on the league and they are hemorrhaging money every fucking year. So again why would the league want to jam up Houston more than any other potential city the Coyotes could go to?
Other than reading the internet, what makes you think Houston would be a good choice for Hockey? Yes they are the biggest city not to have one.
I've been there many times. Seriously doubt it would be supported there over time. The place is like one huge mall full of banks.
Seriously difficult commute to and from Galveston. The Houston Texans and the Astros aren't comparable to Hockey. There are far safer bets for a relocation. ...Who cares; Bettman will do whatever's necessary to keep them in Arizona in all likelihood.
"evolution"
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

But why would the league want to jam up Houston more than any other potential city? These are your words Gomer. The league will ultimately do what it will do. I personally don’t give a fuck. But when you try to come across as some sort of expert authority on the situation, expect to get called out. Similar to the bullshit you spewed about Ferland having panic attacks and penalty killers pinning opposing players all over the ice, you get angry when these ridiculous takes get challenged.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

SKYO wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 1:40 pm Selfishly I'd hope Portland, Oregon gets a NHL franchise so the Canucks could have a east coast team like travel schedule with Edm/Calgary/Van/Seattle/Portland all short distance travel.
No way. Now how.

The arena would get burned down by domestic terrorists.
Cherry Picker
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Cherry Picker »

Strangelove wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 9:57 pm
If they were to relocate in such a short time frame, that might put Quebec in the driver's seat.

They have the facility, they're in the NHL's good books right now

(didn't they pay a non-refundable $10M for the NHL a few years ago to consider them?)

... and the Mayor has said they're ready at the drop of a hat.

But then I feel they're going to remain in the desert, so why am I blathering on lol.
I thought it was surprising that Houston didn’t put in a bid in the Vegas, Seattle expansion round. It may be that Houston Rockets owner Tilman Fertitta was not interested because of the return on investment? I imagine he would have to be the guy that would need to buy the team if it were to go to Houston. He might not be interested in Hockey. If the Yotes current owner doesn’t want to sell the team, and if finding another spot in Arizona isn’t practical, Kansas City, and Portland make sense. Quebec makes more sense if the Yotes current owner wants to sell.
We are all Snidely Whiplash.