NHL business

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

donlever
CC Legend

Re: NHL business

Post by donlever »

JelloPuddingPop wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 9:36 am Jebus - I'd be under the table before the 2nd period even starts
Jello shots!

Best hockey anyone has ever seen?

For me hands down the 1987 Canada Cup 3 game final Russia/Canada.
DeLevering since 1999.
JelloPuddingPop
MVP
MVP

Post by JelloPuddingPop »

donlever wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 9:46 am
JelloPuddingPop wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 9:36 am Jebus - I'd be under the table before the 2nd period even starts
Jello shots!

Best hockey anyone has ever seen?

For me hands down the 1987 Canada Cup 3 game final Russia/Canada.
Its funny, I have watched a bunch of the older classics lately - as they are always the Ocho or whatever. And I used to feel the same Donny, but now with the depth, speed and skill the game is played at - I am finding it hard to compare them now. The game is just so much better now.
donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

JelloPuddingPop wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 9:49 am Its funny, I have watched a bunch of the older classics lately - as they are always the Ocho or whatever. And I used to feel the same Donny, but now with the depth, speed and skill the game is played at - I am finding it hard to compare them now. The game is just so much better now.
Fair comment, I wouldn't honestly know JP.

Haven't seen any games for so long....

If its true, and I have no reason to disbelieve you, I have something to look forward to this year!!!!
DeLevering since 1999.
theman
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by theman »

Speaking of NHL business, come on GMJB - get Petey and Hughes signed to team friendly deals! Hurry up, will yeah.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Madcombinepilot wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 9:29 am
But think of the drinking game with that China game!

Every goal we get, take a shot!
Whoop!
Former Canuck and Hawk, Curt Fraser got himself a gig. It's like one of those episodes of "Where did they go".
"evolution"
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

That '87 three game final was a work of art. I have it on dvd.

I also have the '72 series on dvd and it is painful hockey to watch outside of the nostalgia aspect.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

Topper wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 4:57 pm That '87 three game final was a work of art. I have it on dvd.

I also have the '72 series on dvd and it is painful hockey to watch outside of the nostalgia aspect.
Same and same.

I will re-watch that Gretzky to Lemieux top corner goal until the day I die.

Wayne could have as easily hit Larry Murphy right side in close for the winner but the way it played out was apt.

Two of the 5 greatest players of all time in on the winning goal in the greatest international hockey the world has ever seen between two incredible teams.

Amazing stuff.

Imagine if Tretiak were Red Army goalie at the time....
DeLevering since 1999.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

donlever wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 5:08 pm
Topper wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 4:57 pm That '87 three game final was a work of art. I have it on dvd.

Same and same.

I will re-watch that Gretzky to Lemieux top corner goal until the day I die.

Wayne could have as easily hit Larry Murphy right side in close for the winner but the way it played out was apt.

Two of the 5 greatest players of all time in on the winning goal in the greatest international hockey the world has ever seen between two incredible teams.

Amazing stuff.

Imagine if Tretiak were Red Army goalie at the time....
Still woulda scored. Lemieux would have faked the shot and hit Murphy for the tap-in. 8-)
donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

Mëds wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 6:49 pm Still woulda scored. Lemieux would have faked the shot and hit Murphy for the tap-in. 8-)
Right....to clarify I meant for the series not that specific play
DeLevering since 1999.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

https://media.nhl.com/public/news/15231
Updates to the 2021-22 NHL Regular-Season Schedule
13 games included. Times and or dates. Canucks are involved in 3 of the 13.
"evolution"
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Coyotes looking for their 100th new owner, this time though looks like they'll be relocated to Houston.

via Rick Westhead (Author, journalist with The Sports Network, CTV)
Citing an unnamed banking industry source, Mike Ozanian of Forbes reports the Arizona Coyotes for sale,

"with idea of buyer eventually moving team to a new arena in Houston."
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

One wonders when the NHL will implement the soft cap? the lowest paying pro sports in the modern era of North America.
the NBA uses a soft cap. This allows the threshold in a variety of exceptional cases to be exceeded. Re-signing current players, a provision known as the Larry Bird rule, are exempt from the cap. As a result, most teams are more or less permanently over the salary cap.

The second arm of the NBA’s salary cap strategy comes into effect when teams are over a second limit. Rather than prohibit excessive spending,
the NBA uses a luxury tax system that sets a separate threshold above the salary cap and applies a graduated payment system for every dollar above it. Currently this stands at between $1.50 and $4.75 per dollar above the threshold. The money collected is distributed to all teams who remain below the tax threshold.
Curmudgeon
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Curmudgeon »

Wouldn't a luxury tax just be an annual subsidy for Arizona?
donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

SKYO wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 11:18 am One wonders when the NHL will implement the soft cap? the lowest paying pro sports in the modern era of North America.
...lowest revenue base.

Lowest wages.

NHL players are blessed (beyond buyout or other extraneous contingencies) with guaranteed contracts though....
DeLevering since 1999.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Whoa could be a $4M salary cap increase for 2023/24 season.
NHL salary cap could increase by at least $4 million in 2023-24
Contingent upon escrow debt from players being repaid in full by end of season, Commissioner Bettman says

https://www.nhl.com/news/nhl-salary-cap ... -336522332