The Great Jim Benning Debate! (And personal insult thread)

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Re: The Great Jim Benning Debate!

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Chiarellis top 5

1. Trading Barzal and Beauvellier for Reinhart
2. Trading Hall for Larsson
3. Trading Eberle for Strome
4. Signing Russell to 4 years $4 milllion pet
5. Signing Lucic long term to massive bucks or drafting Puljiatvi 4th overall or not getting a legitimate no. 1 goalie?

Island Nucklehead is campaigning for the Oilers to be respected for the rebuild Chiarelli is doing. They sit with the 8th worst record in the league and most likely will not make the playoffs
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

RoyalDude wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:57 am Island Nucklehead is campaigning for the Oilers to be respected for the rebuild Chiarelli is doing.
When in doubt, make it up!
They sit with the 8th worst record in the league and most likely will not make the playoffs
*Checks Standings*

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

RoyalDude wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:50 am
SKYO wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:19 am
Blob Mckenzie wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:07 am Jason Botchford said in the Provies that Elmer had a choice between Vatanen and Sbisa and picked Sbisa. Gesus Christ.
everyone hates botchford, he imitates his god................
It's Bitchfotd the bitch. So legit

Vatanen traded to New Jersey for that bum Henriqur

Vatanen 2 goals 12 assists in 36 games
Sbisa 1 goal 9 assists in 24 games

Vatanen 5'-10" 185 lbs
Sbisa 6'-2" 210 lbs

The golden knights are raving about Sbisa. Shrimp Vatanen gets traded

Both are 27 years of age

Bubbles quoting Bitchford. Gold Jerry
Lol Vatanen is twice the player Sbisa is
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:08 am
Blob Mckenzie wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:07 am Jason Botchford said in the Provies that Elmer had a choice between Vatanen and Sbisa and picked Sbisa. Gesus Christ.

Vatanen 5'-10" 185 lbs
Sbisa 6'-2" 210 lbs

Both are 27 years of age

Yeah K. The Ducks feel the same
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Island Nucklehead wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:05 am
RoyalDude wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:57 am Island Nucklehead is campaigning for the Oilers to be respected for the rebuild Chiarelli is doing.
When in doubt, make it up!
They sit with the 8th worst record in the league and most likely will not make the playoffs
*Checks Standings*

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Nope, wrong, earlier this season or prior to, you raved about the Oiler rebuild as some kind of amazing piece of work
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

RoyalDude wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:13 am
Blob Mckenzie wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:08 am

Vatanen 5'-10" 185 lbs
Sbisa 6'-2" 210 lbs

Both are 27 years of age

Yeah K. The Ducks feel the same
[/quo

Yeah I’m surethey do. They are loaded with young D with Vatanen, Montour, Manson, Lindholm and Fowler so they could afford to deal one for a centre because both Kesler and Getzlaf were injured. It was a win win trade for both clubs.
Ronning's Ghost
MVP
MVP

Post by Ronning's Ghost »

RoyalDude wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:57 am Chiarellis top 5

5. Signing Lucic long term to massive bucks or drafting Puljiatvi 4th overall or not getting a legitimate no. 1 goalie?

Island Nucklehead is campaigning for the Oilers to be respected for the rebuild Chiarelli is doing.
As for is the case for Gillis (as explained above), a criticism of Benning is not an implication that Chiarelli would have done something better. Re-hashing Chiarelli moves is irrelevant, and worse, uninteresting.

That standard of comparison is not what Chiarelli would have done, but -- as chosen by his most fervent supporters -- what a genius would have done.

Looking forward to that Masterpiece (dynasty). What do you think remains to be done, and how many more seasons do you think it will take ?
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

RoyalDude wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2018 4:16 pm Ken Holland, considered a genius by many in this market. Drafted Svechnikov in the 1st round of the 2015 draft with Boeser still on board. In 2016 drafted Chylowski who isn't looking too good, then followed that up with the UFA signing of Nielsen. Then in the 2017 draft, drafted Rassmussen in the 1st round with so many good players still available like Necas for one. Holland - considered a genius by many, sure ain't looking so genius lately, but that being said, has made his share of mistakes. Like I said, a genius will make his mistakes on his way to his masterpiece. It's the big picture. Stop focusing on the place holders.
Holland's legacy is more the draft and develop model. He definitely fluked out with Datsyuk and Zetterberg, but he has made many other picks in later rounds that have then been developed into quality players, I don't feel like many of them are actually top 3 forwards or top 2 defensemen though.

Larkin and Mantha are the only two that I think could fit into that category.

Abdelkader, Tatar, Nyquist, and Athanasiou, are decent picks outside of the 1st round that were developed and then brought up, but they are all 2nd line players at best.

Every GM makes boneheaded signings, especially in free agency. Those signings become even worse when the team isn't competitive because you generally have to pay more to get players to come to a losing franchise. I would much prefer to have a GM like Benning who might be too friendly in contract negotiations but can draft well in every round, over a guy who might not draft well but can develop depth forwards and get players $500K cheaper.

Ideally you would have Benning as GM and Holland as AGM. Benning calls the shots, so at the draft table he has executive powers, and handles the NHL side of the roster and whatnot, but delegates the negotiation of contracts and much of the minor league development to Holland.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Ronning's Ghost wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:54 pm

Island Nucklehead is campaigning for the Oilers to be respected for the rebuild Chiarelli is doing.
As for is the case for Gillis (as explained above), a criticism of Benning is not an implication that Chiarelli would have done something better. Re-hashing Chiarelli moves is irrelevant, and worse, uninteresting.

That standard of comparison is not what Chiarelli would have done, but -- as chosen by his most fervent supporters -- what a genius would have done.

Looking forward to that Masterpiece (dynasty). What do you think remains to be done, and how many more seasons do you think it will take ?
Would you agree that the most important thing for this organization moving forward from the Gillis fiasco post 2011 is Drafting and Developing? With that in mind how well of a job do you think Jimbro Benning has done in that department?
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

RoyalDude wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2018 2:47 pm
Ronning's Ghost wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:54 pm

Would you agree that the most important thing for this organization moving forward from the Gillis fiasco post 2011 is Drafting and Developing? With that in mind how well of a job do you think Jimbro Benning has done in that department?
Compared to Gillis? Or just in general? Lol.

I’d give him a B-minus so far.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Contracts and trades don’t matter. Salary cap ........ pffftt.... the 2014 and 2016 first round drafts never happened
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

Mëds wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:06 pm
EVERYTHING MUST BE COMPARED TO GILLIS.

Or Chiarelli.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

ESQ wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:40 pm

Or Chiarelli.
Oh ok. My bad. :P
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

ESQ wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:40 pm

Or Chiarelli.
Or Colorado! Oops, nope. Not Colorado.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

So no thoughts from the "crew" on Bennings drafting and developing other than Blotis writing the book on Juolevi in 2016 and Virtanen in 2014 and ignoring Demko and Tryamkin in 2014?