The Great Jim Benning Debate! (And personal insult thread)

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Re: The Great Jim Benning Debate! (And personal insult thread)

Post by Strangelove »

Ronning's Ghost wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 1:38 am I would certainly concede that Benning is a solid hockey man doing a good job
That's one small step for a boobird, one giant leap for boobirdkind.

Ronning's Ghost wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 1:38 am Sort of a von Manstein figure (without implying that either he or the Little Eagles are Nazis -- just the same relative command and talent structure).
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erich_von_Manstein

"Liddell Hart was an admirer of the German generals; he described Manstein as an operational genius."

Y'know Cliffy, when you finally come to realize Lord Benning is a genius, it'll be too late.

Everyone will be all like "Duh, tell us something we don't know ya tard!"

Then, for all eternity, you will be relegated to licking the boots of those who knew it all along.
____
Try to focus on someday.
Ronning's Ghost
MVP
MVP

Post by Ronning's Ghost »

Strangelove wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 1:51 pm
"Liddell Hart was an admirer of the German generals; he described Manstein as an operational genius."
And in the same way that being an operational genius is still somewhat short of being a military genius, if the years prove that Benning was a drafting genius, that's still some distance from being a hockey management genius.

Chef Boi RD wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 12:56 pm Maybe you should stop wasting your time on a product you don’t like, let those who like it enjoy it and fuck off
Top line, original post:
Ronning's Ghost wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 1:38 am Honest to the Hockey Gawds, my plan was to shut up about this and let you just enjoy a nice payoff run, but some of you had to blow your genius horn, and at least this one last time, I will answer.
But I've said my piece for now, and shan't haunt you for some time.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Oh I’m haunted alright, really bothered.

So you sat idling biding your time like a well behaved respecter of others until the eventual knockout to then come back with the “see I told you so” shit? How mighty of you, how predictable of you. We are shocked, really :shock:
Last edited by Chef Boi RD on Sat Sep 05, 2020 2:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Ronning's Ghost wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 1:58 pm But I've said my piece for now, and shat
:mrgreen:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

Chef Boi RD wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 2:03 pm Oh I’m haunted alright, really bothered.

So you sat idling biding your time like a well behaved respecter of others until the eventual knockout to then come back with the “see I told you so” shit? How mighty of you, how predictable of you. We are shocked, really :shock:
No kidding, eh?

RG is so triggered when someone posts JB and genius in the same paragraph (that's why we do it). Barely participated in any discussions this season or during this run... BUTT comes back the very next morning to blow his own horn.

"Honest to the Hockey Gawds, my plan was to shut up about this... blah, blah... at least this one last time..."

LOL, last time shutting up, wot?

HF Boards is more up his alleyway.
The Best GD Canucks Hockey Talk Forum in the World... With Only 18 People!
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Carl Yagro wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 2:31 pm RG is so triggered when someone posts JB and genius in the same paragraph (that's why we do it).
SHHHHHHHHHHHHhhhhhhhhhhh.... :mrgreen:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Jim Benning is, as of right now, one of the top team builders in the game. Teams are busy studying how he acquired so much budding EL talent and are augmenting systems to try and emulate his formula.

I shit you not.

I listen into plenty of radio interviews here in Alberia(where excellent hockey people are the local scribblers which makes the shows so much more interesting that 650 or 1040) and the consensus is that this was a very very well executed rebuild in the fraction of time most teams take.

All facts.

We are fucking lucky to be enjoying watching this core round into shape...all thanks to Jim Fucking Elmer Benning. Period.
If you need air...call it in
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

^Amen, brother.

Vancouver's comparatively quick turnaround is exactly what is being studied by writers, GMs and owners of other teams.
The Best GD Canucks Hockey Talk Forum in the World... With Only 18 People!
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Ronning's Ghost wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 1:58 pm
Strangelove wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 1:51 pm
Ronning's Ghost wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 1:38 am (Benning is) sort of a von Manstein figure (without implying that either he or the Little Eagles are Nazis -- just the same relative command and talent structure).
And in the same way that being an operational genius is still somewhat short of being a military genius, if the years prove that Benning was a drafting genius, that's still some distance from being a hockey management genius.
More from Liddell Hart:

"The general verdict among the German generals I interrogated in 1945 was that Field-Marshal von Manstein had proved the ablest commander in their Army, and the man they had most desired to become its Commander-in-Chief. It is very clear that he had a superb sense of operational possibilities and equal mastery in the conduct of operations, together with a greater grasp of the potentialities of mechanized forces than any other commander who had not been trained in the tank arm. In sum, he had military genius."

- Liddell Hart

https://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Erich_von_Manstein

____
Try to focus on someday.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Ronnings Ghost prefers the Buffalo Sabres model, just draft endlessly and forever. Lose in the name of drafting. Fuck winning. Lose to draft. Draft, draft, draft.....

Btw if memory serves, RG wanted Glass instead of Pettersson, Bouchard instead of Hughes and Boldy instead of Podkolzin
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Megaterio Llamas
MVP
MVP

Post by Megaterio Llamas »

Mr Aquilini doesn't like the empty seats model.

It's why Jim has such staying power around here.
el rey del mambo
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Megaterio Llamas wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 3:40 pm Mr Aquilini doesn't like the empty seats model.

It's why Jim has such staying power around here.
A genius doesn’t want you to know he’s a genius, in fact the opposite, he’s perfectly fine with you thinking he’s an idiot, that’s what makes him a genius.
Nuckertuzzi
CC Veteran

Post by Nuckertuzzi »

Can't help but remember Botch's cries of "we need an army". He cited the Jets as an example of having an army and expressed angst and envy at how far we were from getting to that point. I totally echoed those emotions and couldn't have agreed more. That seemed like a long time ago but it really wasn't, it was only a few years ago when things looked so bleak and here we are now right up there or possibly even ahead of the Jets. That's up for debate because I think the Jets are still a team to be reckoned with but the point is it's remarkable how far we've come in such a short period of time. We still need an army. The good news is more soldiers might be coming soon (Pod, Hog, Lind, Rath, Olli, etc., etc..). It's not likely all of them will hit, but we don't need that, we need maybe 2 or 3 more and we should have our army.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Chef Boi RD wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 3:27 pm

Btw if memory serves, RG wanted Glass instead of Pettersson, Bouchard instead of Hughes and Boldy instead of Podkolzin
You of all people shouldn’t be bumping your gums about who anyone else wanted to draft.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Nuckertuzzi wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 8:50 pm Can't help but remember Botch's cries of "we need an army". He cited the Jets as an example of having an army and expressed angst and envy at how far we were from getting to that point. I totally echoed those emotions and couldn't have agreed more. That seemed like a long time ago but it really wasn't, it was only a few years ago when things looked so bleak and here we are now right up there or possibly even ahead of the Jets. That's up for debate because I think the Jets are still a team to be reckoned with but the point is it's remarkable how far we've come in such a short period of time. We still need an army. The good news is more soldiers might be coming soon (Pod, Hog, Lind, Rath, Olli, etc., etc..). It's not likely all of them will hit, but we don't need that, we need maybe 2 or 3 more and we should have our army.
The Jets Army is no more