The Great Jim Benning Debate! (And personal insult thread)

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Re: The Great Jim Benning Debate! (And personal insult thread)

Post by Mickey107 »

Cherry Picker wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 5:55 pm Franco’s vote of confidence today once again shows the insiders are outsiders. The management with the Canucks keep things in house. HW was the last good source with management. The media personalities are just talking heads with no more valid an opinion as you or I.
Francesco Aquilini @fr_aquilini
This has been a unique year for everyone. Roster changes, very little training camp, no pre-season, and just a few practice days. It takes time for new players to fit in and a new group chemistry to take hold, both on and off the ice.
4:22 PM · Feb 13, 2021
https://twitter.com/fr_aquilini/status/ ... 7893263360
"evolution"
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Meet Doyle everyone

“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Chef Boi RD wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 10:37 am Meet Doyle everyone
____
Try to focus on someday.
nuckster
MVP
MVP

Post by nuckster »

Hello to the typical long-suffering canucks corner persona, and a fine fuck off to the condescending self important one or two (you know who u are).

I'd like to offer a thought or two related to the big picture. I remember hearing some messaging in around the time the Canucks were playing their series with the Golden Knights. There was a clear and obvious recognition that the Canucks had a ways to go yet before becoming true cup contenders - it was obvious, the Knights had a total domination over the Canucks - if Demko didn't get hot, the Canucks may have only took one.

Anyways the messaging was mgt, including Benning, acknowledging that in the 'big picture' before becoming legit contenders, they needed more talent, and the bloated 3rd and 4th line contracts had to run their course, and hopefully some rookies would crack the line-up along the way. Since no revenue is going to be generated for ownership in the playoffs this covid-year, what better time to take a step back and aspire for a draft pick or two, not to mention getting Podkolzin into the line--up as well. I'm pretty sure mgt/ownership has got this all down. I'm inclined to believe that they've communicated this to Petey as well. So Petey, don't break your balls this year, there's no point, but be competitive.

Look at the Capitals and then the Penguins before-hand, all their vets were in the late 20s to early 30s... seasoned vets who've been around. Canucks blue-chippers are young. We all have to be patient and write off this year, and maybe one more, before our window can begin to really bear fruit .

So right or wrong, I choose to believe that we're looking at another couple years before Canuck TV watching gets prime... and I find it a little bit heartening to believe there really is a master-plan.... even though this year has been a little more of a let-down than anticipated.

Anyways, thats my little rant. Cheers to the canucks corner crowd Thanks for indulging me.
cc oldtimer
Megaterio Llamas
MVP
MVP

Post by Megaterio Llamas »

The media heat is already at a rolling boil even after Mr Aquilini explicitly stated he wouldn't be making any changes this season. And no changes at this time is the right idea because we would be dealing from an extreme weak position with any assets we might like to offload currently at all time low value. The only thing that could possibly change the fortunes of the team in-season would be a coaching change but it's pretty late in the day for even that. Mr Aquilini will ride this thing out to the end with the building empty, saving a nickel here and a dime there along the way and look to the off season to make the changes he has in mind.

And speaking of local media; there's still too much of it in town for my taste even with the plug being pulled at 1040 radio. Further downsizing in that area would improve the fan experience around here imho. A joke and funny short story tabloid or website to match the new stand up comedy radio format at 1040 might be just what the doctor ordered to get us the rest of the way through this God forsaken plague-infested season...
el rey del mambo
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Legend

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

Megaterio Llamas wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 11:48 pm Mr Aquilini
I heard that some previous players called him Frank the Tank. :lol:
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Megaterio Llamas wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 11:48 pm
And speaking of local media; there's still too much of it in town for my taste even with the plug being pulled at 1040 radio. Further downsizing in that area would improve the fan experience around here imho. A joke and funny short story tabloid or website to match the new stand up comedy radio format at 1040 might be just what the doctor ordered to get us the rest of the way through this God forsaken plague-infested season...
Satiar Shah on 650am has been beating on the Canucks organization lately almost as much as he use to beat on Dave Pratt on 10:40am before the contract change. To be honest; I think the Canucks still had some pretty good friends over at old 10:40.
"evolution"
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

Micky wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 12:28 am
Satiar Shah on 650am has been beating on the Canucks organization lately almost as much as he use to beat on Dave Pratt on 10:40am before the contract change.
Just like a bunch of posters have been beating on you lately for posting silly crap and diaper flinging??
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Madcombinepilot wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 9:47 am
Micky wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 12:28 am
Satiar Shah on 650am has been beating on the Canucks organization lately almost as much as he use to beat on Dave Pratt on 10:40am before the contract change.
Just like a bunch of posters have been beating on you lately for posting silly crap and diaper flinging??
:lol:
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

I was going over some of the UFA signings that JB has done, see link below and I wonder has he actually signed a FA that we all have liked?

https://www.spotrac.com/nhl/transaction ... ree-agent/ - you need to ignore the resigning of players

Hopefully the link works but going over this list only Tyler Myers seems like a FA signed and actually contributing to the team. Holtby at $2M is ok but at $4M he is atrocious for what he brings. JB should never be allowed to sign a FA again IMHO as he has proven to be shitty at this part.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

2Fingers wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 12:23 pm I was going over some of the UFA signings that JB has done, see link below and I wonder has he actually signed a FA that we all have liked?

https://www.spotrac.com/nhl/transaction ... ree-agent/ - you need to ignore the resigning of players

Hopefully the link works but going over this list only Tyler Myers seems like a FA signed and actually contributing to the team. Holtby at $2M is ok but at $4M he is atrocious for what he brings. JB should never be allowed to sign a FA again IMHO as he has proven to be shitty at this part.
Still have to note where the team was seven years ago. Five. Three. Even last year. Eriksson's contract is the one that will follow JB everywhere but at the time. it was expected by most media and many fans. Taking on a team with two aging but still very good Swedes was always going to be hard no matter who got the gig. Mike Gillis sniffed around LE when he was with Dallas.
I don't like some of Benning's signings either but at the same time. I can't believe how some players deteriorate when being moved here.
Beagle, Roussel , Sutter. These are not players i would have expected to shit the bed and just collect their cheques with a smile.
But everything is opinion and I'll throw one more out; I don't think we've seen credible coaching in Vancouver since the end of the 2012 regular season!
"evolution"
vic
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by vic »

Micky wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 1:48 pm I don't think we've seen credible coaching in Vancouver since the end of the 2012 regular season 2010 Playoffs!
Fixed that last little bit for you

:drink:
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

vic wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 2:33 pm
Micky wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 1:48 pm I don't think we've seen credible coaching in Vancouver since the end of the 2012 regular season 2010 Playoffs!

Sure vic - pour salt into that wound.

As soon as I see any coach get veteranitess then I know this team is doomed. Green's love for his plumbers and JB allowing him to do it is going to be down fall of this team, yet again.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Hey Vic, where ya been... just 2 posts in the last 6 months bro?
____
Try to focus on someday.
vic
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by vic »

Strangelove wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 3:21 pm

Hey Vic, where ya been... just 2 posts in the last 6 months bro?
Lol, got caught in that dumpster fire that Canucks Twitter is.

Thought I'd drop by to see what the talk here was like.