The Great Jim Benning Debate! (And personal insult thread)

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Re: The Great Jim Benning Debate!

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Stick s fork in Holland, he's cooked. His best days are behind him, but then again, hockey fans and hockey media havevalways given more credence to past glories than current glories, so I'm not surprised the moronics think Holland here is a good idea, typical.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Lancer
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Lancer »

RoyalDude wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:15 pm Stick s fork in Holland, he's cooked. His best days are behind him, but then again, hockey fans and hockey media havevalways given more credence to past glories than current glories, so I'm not surprised the moronics think Holland here is a good idea, typical.
I'm of the same mind. Truth be told, I'll take the devil we know in Benning than turf him for someone who's biggest achievement was drafting Zetterberg and Datsyuk and signing FAs to build around a core he inherited. He may be worth the hype, but I'd take Benning's prospect pool over Detroit's these days - arguably the more important factor considering where the team is.
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Yup someone did some superb research about hiring GM's who won a Stanley Cup with a previous team before and the new team that hired them and their success was pretty bad with their new team.

Getting a youngerish GM who has some skill and letting him work with some stability is the best process to build a winner.

JB was an assistant GM for awhile and got to see his team win a Cup under Chiarelli, so he has some good experience in that respect, they drafted well, signed some key UFA's, made a couple good trades and got that win over us in 2011 lol.

Benning imo has got a solid pipeline of prospects on their way, all of whom are ripping it up in their respective leagues, Allsvenskan (Dahlen), SHL (Pettersson), SM-liiga (Juolevi), NCAA (Gaudette, Lockwood (before unfortunate injury), WHL (Lind), OHL (DiPietro, Gadjovich[Team Canada]), AHL (Demko, Holm)......oh yeah Tryamkin KHL.

Horvat, Tanev contracts! :thumbs:

JB still needs that homerun trade though.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Ronning's Ghost
MVP
MVP

Post by Ronning's Ghost »

SKYO wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:51 pmJB still needs that homerun trade though.
Not if he lands another home run draft. Maybe this is the year the Canucks win the draft lottery.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

All that hard work scouting/drafting, key UFA's, the next bit is those hard to do good trades, you need a little luck here & there to build a future core of contenders.

Pittsburgh was clearly tanking to land Mario and then Crosby, their GM was notorious for getting pissed off at their coach everytime the Pens scored a goal.

But thanks to the Oilers rule, trying to tank and get 1st overall is pretty hard these days, best bet is through deft trades for youth via moving your vets.
& gaining more draft picks to increase the chances of landing a top tier piece.

Yes of course winning the draft lotto would be the golden ticket for this team to land their #1 dman they've never had ever in it's history, but it's gonna take more losing this year and Trevor Linden to act like Craig MacTavish at the draft lotto, wear some glasses and act all chill.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

We hit our home run once. We drafted 2nd and 3rd overall in the same draft. I'd say that turned out pretty ok for us.
The only HW the Canucks need
5thhorseman
MVP
MVP

Post by 5thhorseman »

Hockey Widow wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:52 pm... we are still a bottom feeder and still several years away, if the majority of our prospects live up to expectations, from being a threat.
So that's 2-3 more years before we're a threat, and then a couple more before we're a contender? And there's that big "IF". Every GM should get one extension. It's just the duration that should be in doubt.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

5thhorseman wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:22 pm
Hockey Widow wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:52 pm... we are still a bottom feeder and still several years away, if the majority of our prospects live up to expectations, from being a threat.
So that's 2-3 more years before we're a threat, and then a couple more before we're a contender? And there's that big "IF". Every GM should get one extension. It's just the duration that should be in doubt.
If we stay healthy, if we make the playoffs, yada yada yada, then anything can happen.

But ya, I think we are a good 2-3 years away from being respectable, fun, exciting to watch, can win on any night type of team. And if just half of our prospects live up to expectations and depending upon how this current "core" develops, I think in about 3 years we will be knocking on the door of being a realistic competitive team. Being seen as a contender though, that will have to play out.

If Demko is the real deal....
If Trymankin returns....
If Juolevi is a true top four....
If Horvat can hold down a top six centre spot....
If Boeser continues what he's doing.....
If Petterson is the real deal....
If someone, somewhere steps up to be our other top six centre.....

A lot of ifs but if it holds, we have a good supporting cast to surround that core, currently under contract or in our prospect pool. Along with whoever we draft during the next 3-4 drafts.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Hockey Widow wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:09 pm
RoyalDude wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:45 pm
Reefer2 wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:57 pm Thanks HW, best post in a loooooong time.

Agreed on everything.
You are being gaslighted raffles, snap out of it!

I have a hard time understanding you sometimes Dude. I’m not sure what your problem with me is but it gets tiring. I suppose if I wrote endless drivel I’d be your new best friend?
Lol HW just lit the Dude up like a Christmas tree.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Strangelove wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:34 pm
Blob Mckenzie wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:38 pm Hopefully a couple of posters who’ve been bombing the board with bird shit Benning propaganda for the last few years just read that well written post by HW.
Interesting.

What effect do you feel HW's well written post should have had on these alleged spreaders of propaganda?
It probably will have no effect. People will still lick windows in the short bus. It happens. Carry on
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Hockey Widow wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:19 pm We hit our home run once. We drafted 2nd and 3rd overall in the same draft. I'd say that turned out pretty ok for us.
lol are you that naïve? Burke had that in the bag and the GM's let him have his day so long as Stephan? went 1st overall to the home crowd, it was meant to be.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

SKYO wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:42 am
Hockey Widow wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:19 pm We hit our home run once. We drafted 2nd and 3rd overall in the same draft. I'd say that turned out pretty ok for us.
lol are you that naïve? Burke had that in the bag and the GM's let him have his day so long as Stephan? went 1st overall to the home crowd, it was meant to be.

My point was that he hockey gawds were kind once. Maybe that’s all we get.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Not that kind - like alot of teams this team has had no luck, while some teams have had some good luck lately.

ikd feels like this team is due.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Don't listen to guys like Doug Maclean. They know just about zero.
He's lucky to even have a TV job. I highly doubt any current GMs or Presidents or owners would be sharing anything with him.
Most of our long time local sports media seem to have fallen out of the loop too.
There are a few good sources for credible info, most of us know who they are, but sometimes it's a matter of when they can get to the Canucks.
We get more attention when Brock is doing his thing or Elias is lighting it up somewhere.
"evolution"
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Chef Boi RD's musings: is Sam Pollock a candidate to replace Jim Benning?

I say yes! Why stop at Ken Holland? Let's go deeper into past glories! Let's raise the dead!
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau