The Great Jim Benning Debate! (And personal insult thread)

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Re: The Great Jim Benning Debate! (And personal insult thread)

Post by Carl Yagro »

No, I wasn't directly responding to you, Vin.

You mentioned JR inherited a good situation in Pitt. I was just adding to it.

He did a slow and steady job in Carolina but I think his winning teams in Pitt made him power mad and he eventually lost his mind. I don't have an issue with him as POHO. He has loads of experience and doesn't seem to take too much shit from owners, but I definitely don't want his interim GM gig to turn into a permanent one.
The Best GD Canucks Hockey Talk Forum in the World... With Only 18 People!
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

JelloPuddingPop wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 11:00 am Just say no to Kevin Weekes, he is NOT the GM of the future. It amazes me that so many think this is the next guy up.
:hmmm:

No fuckin way. Dude is crackers

Remember him floating off the ice with the entire arena silent wondering what the living fuck is going on?

Ya no thanks
If you need air...call it in
Ronning's Ghost
MVP
MVP

Post by Ronning's Ghost »

Richardstroker69 wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 10:10 am I like Rutherford he’s got the clout to tell Aqua to fuck off.
From what we hear about the Canucks front office, that might be the most important qualification a POHO for this franchise could have.

Some posters here have discussed the idea that he would be a good mentor for a young GM. I think that's an important trait, too, and a good idea, but another scenario I like is hiring a GM who is also closer retirement age, and both are involved in teaching Danrik. They're smart guys, and I suspect they could be good at hockey management, once they've learned enough.

Ironically, I think it's possible Benning could have done much better with someone like Rutherford watching over him.
-JM-
AHL Prospect

Post by -JM- »

donlever wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 10:46 am
Vin Tanner wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 10:44 am
BCExpat wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 10:42 am So it looks like it's POHO and interm GM. Sound's about right.
Yes I can live with that

Too bad Dick. :lol:
May not be "precisely" your man Blob but seems you at least got your wish for a POHO.

Maybe your additional dream of a next level Dude from a spot like Colordao or Carolina will come to fruition as well.
Makes the most sense. I like how this is shaping up:

JR
___ (GM)
Gear
Johnson
Sedins-Smyl

Boudreau
Walker
Shaw
Clark

Thats a high quality leadership group, and if they nail the GM position it might be the best one this team's ever had.

The only concern I have post-Jimbo is what shape our scouting department is in, so hopefully thats a big part of the GM hire.
Cherry Picker
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Cherry Picker »

How about Larionov for the GM position? He's been an agent and has managed some Russian teams. An ex-Canuck, still relatively young (compared to Rutherford) and could use a mentor for a few years. He's connected to Podkolzin and may have better access to bring some more Russian talent over.
We are all Snidely Whiplash.
Richardstroker69
MVP
MVP

Post by Richardstroker69 »

Ronning's Ghost wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 4:11 pm
Richardstroker69 wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 10:10 am I like Rutherford he’s got the clout to tell Aqua to fuck off.
From what we hear about the Canucks front office, that might be the most important qualification a POHO for this franchise could have.

Some posters here have discussed the idea that he would be a good mentor for a young GM. I think that's an important trait, too, and a good idea, but another scenario I like is hiring a GM who is also closer retirement age, and both are involved in teaching Danrik. They're smart guys, and I suspect they could be good at hockey management, once they've learned enough.

Ironically, I think it's possible Benning could have done much better with someone like Rutherford watching over him.
Totally agree, if benning had somebody watching over him,and had his back in the president role it would have been a huge benefit to the team.
Ronning's Ghost
MVP
MVP

Post by Ronning's Ghost »

Cherry Picker wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 10:34 am How about Larionov for the GM position? He's been an agent and has managed some Russian teams. An ex-Canuck, still relatively young (compared to Rutherford) and could use a mentor for a few years. He's connected to Podkolzin and may have better access to bring some more Russian talent over.
I always suggest Larionov for coach, but the Canucks seem to have that position figured out for now. GM-in-training might be another good option. Like Daniel and Henrick, Igor is a smart Canucks alumnus.
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

Cousin Strawberry wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 1:30 pm
JelloPuddingPop wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 11:00 am Just say no to Kevin Weekes, he is NOT the GM of the future. It amazes me that so many think this is the next guy up.
:hmmm:

No fuckin way. Dude is crackers

Remember him floating off the ice with the entire arena silent wondering what the living fuck is going on?

Ya no thanks
He's got a knack for making the news for all the wrong reasons. Didn't have a couple of majorly bullshit rumours he tweeted? There was the Eichel-Calgary one, I can't remember the other...

Weekes really is one of the dumbest media talking heads out there, plus he likely has a trash reputation from his playing days. Can't imagine anyone giving him a shot as GM for his first ever hockey ops job, and it certainly won't be in Vancouver lol
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

-JM- wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 10:20 am
donlever wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 10:46 am
Vin Tanner wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 10:44 am
BCExpat wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 10:42 am So it looks like it's POHO and interm GM. Sound's about right.
Yes I can live with that

Too bad Dick. :lol:
May not be "precisely" your man Blob but seems you at least got your wish for a POHO.

Maybe your additional dream of a next level Dude from a spot like Colordao or Carolina will come to fruition as well.
Makes the most sense. I like how this is shaping up:

JR
___ (GM)
Gear
Johnson
Sedins-Smyl

Boudreau
Walker
Shaw
Clark

Thats a high quality leadership group, and if they nail the GM position it might be the best one this team's ever had.

The only concern I have post-Jimbo is what shape our scouting department is in, so hopefully thats a big part of the GM hire.
Hey JM nice to meet ya!

… but Gear is gone.
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

Why did JB die on the TG sword?

There was very few fans who wanted TG back yet JB did it. Was it arrogance or just a totally underestimating how bad TG was or plain stupidity? Watching the Canucks now and what we saw 2 weeks ago is an unbelievable difference and it isn’t just because of the normal coaching change excitement.
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

2Fingers wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 8:33 pm Why did JB die on the TG sword?

There was very few fans who wanted TG back yet JB did it. Was it arrogance or just a totally underestimating how bad TG was or plain stupidity? Watching the Canucks now and what we saw 2 weeks ago is an unbelievable difference and it isn’t just because of the normal coaching change excitement.
I don’t think TG was that bad.

It’s a difference in coaching style. TG coached a very structured style of hockey which became very predictable, especially with his star forwards (perhaps they were feeling a bit stifled?). BBQ has a much looser structure.

When the team had way less talent, they needed more Structure to compensate for that lack of talent. Then, as the stars began to develop, the structure started to wear off as guys wanted to do more. BBQ comes in, and lets star players be star players, and they are getting their game back.

Now, TG deserved to get gassed for not changing his style, but I don’t think he is a bad coach. He just didn’t adapt..

And that keeping Chaisson over 1 of MacEwen or Gadjo thing. Should not have let both go to waivers over Chaisson.

Now, JB got gassed because of public opinion and perhaps he did die on the TG hill..who really knows how that conversation went..
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

Madcombinepilot wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 9:31 pm

It’s a difference in coaching style. TG coached a very structured style of hockey which became very predictable, especially with his star forwards (perhaps they were feeling a bit stifled?). BBQ has a much looser structure.

When the team had way less talent, they needed more Structure to compensate for that lack of talent. Then, as the stars began to develop, the structure started to wear off as guys wanted to do more. BBQ comes in, and lets star players be star players, and they are getting their game back.

Now, TG deserved to get gassed for not changing his style, but I don’t think he is a bad coach. He just didn’t adapt..

And that keeping Chaisson over 1 of MacEwen or Gadjo thing. Should not have let both go to waivers over Chaisson.

Now, JB got gassed because of public opinion and perhaps he did die on the TG hill..who really knows how that conversation went..
I think TG is a good AHL coach and maybe a good assistant coach, but IMHO he has failed as a head coach. He has made numerous mistakes but never seemed to learn from it. He needs 2-3 as an assistant before he takes on the head job again.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Madcombinepilot wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 9:31 pm

The hallmark of a bad coach.....
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

That’s not the only reason Elmer got gassed
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Agree with Blob. After the fact more and more is leaking out about how Benning created a team of two, he and Wisebrod. They seemed to have tuned out all other voices. You can't run things that way.Benning was also resident to the idea that the organization needed a PoHo. So maybe he liked his little kingdom and didn't want other voices. Who knows.

But Benning did leave behind a great nucleus to build on. Too bad our prospect pool has dwindled.
The only HW the Canucks need