The Great Jim Benning Debate! (And personal insult thread)

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Re: The Great Jim Benning Debate!

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Mëds wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 1:26 pm Yup.

Hindsight being what it is, Tkachuk was the money pick. Not Juolevi.
There were a couple interviews over the past couple years with beat writers who covered the Knights and they said they were stunned that Vancouver chose Juolevi over Tkachuk.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

olpaddy wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 2:59 pm .. Yes GM's miss U my friend or 100% correct but there are things that are real obvious to everyone its kinda head scratching
Obvious? Were these top picks obvious?

Yakupov
Dylan Strome
Puljujarvi
Ryan Strome
Sam Bennett
Michael Dal Colle
Murray
Galchenyuk
Griffin Reinhart
Gudbranson
Connolly
Hopkins
Schenn
Bogosian
Hickey
Filatov
Alzner
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

ESQ wrote: Mon Nov 26, 2018 10:53 pm Trade Boeser?!

Poor blob, he really can't handle a rebuild.
So you wouldn’t trade Brock Boeser for Seth Jones?

Poor ESQ he can’t see with all that sticky white stuff in his eyes :lol:
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Fuck Paddy that vid is depressing.

I still think Linden had some input there. They didn’t even interview Tkachuk. His dad used to smack Trevor around back in the day. I wouldn’t be surprised if Trevor held a grudge.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 5:25 pm Fuck Paddy that vid is depressing.

I still think Linden had some input there. They didn’t even interview Tkachuk. His dad used to smack Trevor around back in the day. I wouldn’t be surprised if Trevor held a grudge.
Linden didnt want to sit with Keith cause he knows hes still his little bitch
If you need air...call it in
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Is Blob talking about a Tkachuk?

Let me know when that changes
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 5:25 pm Fuck Paddy that vid is depressing.

Very depressing, something a genius should now (for you strange) better.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Reefer2 wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 7:50 pm

I love you Blob.
:wink:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 4:39 pm

There were a couple interviews over the past couple years with beat writers who covered the Knights and they said they were stunned that Vancouver chose Juolevi over Tkachuk.
I write it off as them all being wowed by his stellar WJC play with Laine and Puljujarvi that culminated in a gold medal for Finland.

He also had good OHL seasons.
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

Strangelove wrote: Sun Nov 25, 2018 3:24 pm He makes only ~ $700K over there and he talks about coming back all the time.

"Why not" - Nikita Tryamkin

Wow, that's it? JB probably would have easily gave him 3X that, similar to what Hutty/Stecher got ($2M - $3M). Just for that reason alone, it would be dumb for Tryamkin to close the door of the NHL.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Reefer2 wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 7:50 pm

"evolution"
olpaddy
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by olpaddy »

Strangelove wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 3:04 pm
olpaddy wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 2:59 pm Feel free to search the archives when I said we should draft Pettersson before his name was a household one once again search the archives so Pacific Blue I'd like to think this isn't a hindsight convo ...
There were a few of us who agreed we should draft Eli, Remember?

Pretty sure Pacific Blue was one...
I remember we broke bread as far as Pacific Blue is concerned he agreed for 2 posts before he changed course again I wanna say he felt the Player was too small like his big bro might have to do an archive search....
olpaddy
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by olpaddy »

Mëds wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 8:07 pm
Blob Mckenzie wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 4:39 pm

I write it off as them all being wowed by his stellar WJC play with Laine and Puljujarvi that culminated in a gold medal for Finland.

He also had good OHL seasons.

As someone who watches a shitload of London Knights games and Have for awhile Mëds he was good in the OHL not great he never got more than 42 points in a season and he played on teams that were FUCKING Loaded Marner,Domi,Tkachuk,Mete,Dvorak,Pu,Jones Miletic A 16 year old Evan Bouchard outscored him in Oli's Draft +1 year I will make the argument and have in the past its documented so this isn't a hindsight thing its archived here He's not a guy this team should've drafted in the top 5 based of his draft season in the OHL, on a stacked team he played good but, he wasn't great Sergechev was the Best D man in the OHL that year & it wasnt even close... There was a groan in that audience when that pick was made for a reason I like Oli I will defend the player cause hes a good kid to me the comparable is Oli Maata I wouldn't take Oli Maata top 5 either and their careers were eerily similar in London... He's a 2nd pairing guy nothing wrong with that some around here think hes more I won't kill the player for being what he is I will kill the GM for making a piss poor decision...

look at it this way Mëds if the Penguins offered u Oli Maata for the 5th pick back in the 2015-16 draft would u make the deal? Don't kill the player for being what he is and not living up to greater expectations Light up the Jackass GM who should've known better for drafting a 2nd pairing guy that high and Passing on Tkachuk who u will see for the next 10 years up close and personal...
olpaddy
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by olpaddy »

I would Love to ask Trevor over a beer or 2 if he was being honest about the whole process how much of NOT drafting Tkachuk had to do with Protecting Virtanen... Translation did the Canucks pass on Tkachuk cause they didn't want another power forward who at the time was STRUGGLING and if they thought Tkachuk would struggle as well or if they thought Tkachuk would outshine the pick of Jake cause they never even considered Tkachuk when it was blatantly obvious that the Player was a LEGIT TOP 5 pick who could do more things to help this team than Jake can ever dream of... How do NOT INTERVIEW a consensus top 5 pick in the draft when U have one of the picks in the top 5 if for know other reason then to do your due diligence... thats a bad job by the GM any way u wanna sugarcoat it...
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 5:25 pm I still think Linden had some input there. They didn’t even interview Tkachuk. His dad used to smack Trevor around back in the day. I wouldn’t be surprised if Trevor held a grudge.
From what I recall of the Olaf draft, JB went out and drafted on positional need rather than best player overall. They felt they needed a D-man in the system and thought Olaf could be a very good top 4 defender. I remember them saying it's almost impossible to acquire a top D-man, the only way is to draft one. Trev and JB spoke highly of Tkachuk: skilled and tough like his father, so I thought they were going to take him if he was there. Whether they interviewed him or not, I don't know. At the time, I was surprised and disappointed they went for Olaf. I figured they made the mistake of passing on a Tkachuk once (Keith), so they weren't going to do it 2X. Man, I was really intrigued with a possible future young guns line of Tkachuk-BoHo-Shotgun Jake. The Team 1040 guys were joking that when Matthew Tkachuk's kid grows up, the Nucks will not make the mistake of passing on him. :lol: